123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CRT MONITOR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nthe10ring

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: CRT MONITOR Reply with quote

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but am still contemplating a mini purchase. I know in the past there were some issues with CRT monitors concerning brightnes. Have these problems been addressed, if anyone is still using a CRT please advise. I have a very nice Mitsubishi 19" that I have had for some time and would still like to be able to use for a while yet.

nthe10ring
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a spotty issue in terms of user experiences (i.e. some don't have a problem and others gripe about it incessently). I had an old Nokia 17" 447XS shortneck CRT that worked famously with the Mini. I could see absolutely no difference in the display brightness between the Mini and my old Dell PC using the exact same monitor. I have since replaced it with a 19" DVI LCD since I passed the CRT on with my old PC. I expect that you will hear from others who perceive an issue with their particular CRTs as some hardware may be more sensitive in this respect than others.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
leftplay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify the issue, the problem seems be manifest itself because of the lowered VGA signal voltage present in the Mini's tweaked GPU. I've encountered no problems with a 17-inch Dell LCD (VGA), as well as 20-inch Dell widescreen (VGA+DVI). However, I have read plenty of reports of people having problems with various brands via VGA - look on Apple's Mini forum. It does seem to be a consensus that certain monitors are more prone to show this problem.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a 17" Dell Flat CRT and an 18" MagView CRT with my Mini and I have seen no problems at all!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Samsung LCD and have no problems. Out of curiosity I tried my setup out with an older 17" KDS CRT and it looked good. Does anyone have pictures of the of their display with the dim video? Just how dim is it?
SStreet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a <gulp> Gateway Branded 21" CRT that I purchased ~4 years ago. On the PC I ran the monitor with the brightness maxed out and the contrast about 30%. On the Mini, I'm about 20% on contrast and 50% on brightness -- for the same relative picture.

I also run it a 1600x1200@75Hz [ yeah, I like lots of real-estate ].

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: