123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
scooper wrote:
I'm getting excited as these updates roll along. I mean they only have room for two more before Leopard!
One more... Tiger will end with 10.4.9

That's what I meant. Embarassed

CubeParts wrote:
Update went smoothly for me (147MB). Seems speedier, and the border on the sides of my display that appeared after 10.4.7 are now gone and I am getting full screen again.

What kind if display are you using? TV?
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I grabbed the stand alone installer this afternoon, didn't feel like waiting for SU to pick up the pace. I have to say I agree, when it comes to point releases I usually bail out of SU, some of my own technical voodoo I suppose.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Improves compatibility for the TV Tracker 2 Dashboard widget

I gave up on that widget a long time ago. I think they finally got a steady listing provider, but it always seemed to fail. At least we know the Apple developers still have time to watch TV. Laughing

All in all, the update went smoothly for me.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10.4.8 is causing issues with Shapeshifter. Or should I say Shapeshifter is having issues with it. Which is expected to happen with updates like these. The only thing wrong is iTunes.. really.

Sometimes I hope Apple would put more customization options in Leopard, just like Shapeshifter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nostromo wrote:

He had 1GB of ram in it and was using a LaCie pocket Drive that was a 5400rpm firewire connection. He said that at first he had problems installing it on his external HD till he read in the notes he got with the DVD, that it has to be reformatted in order to be compatible with Leopard. In other words, it had to be an INTEL bootable drive. Which it wasn't, and while it worked fine on his other macs and intel macs as well, it seems that you cannot install the Intel OS (present and future versions) on a normal HFS HD. It has to be something else he mentioned, but I cannot remember the name of the format.

Still it ran well on the Mac Pro and not on the Mini... Yet he did the install on the Mini and moved it over to the mac Pro...

A bit confusing... And all in all, I have to say that it will be in late march or April of next year before we see the final release...

He was told by Apple, that it is only half of the OS that will be released next year. They apparently have more features that they feel comfortable with not having to test in the beta release. And they don't want others to start making apps based on those new ideas. Or so they say...

I dunno', a lot of this doesn't sound right. Time Machine uses Spotlight indexes for part of it's management, so if you just go slapping it on other PCs that is likely to cause problems (if you format the drive on one PC, let Time Machine take it over on another and move it back this makes a mess). There are some fairly clever ways to include and exclude certain directories, etc... While I'm sure it won't be a barn burner on the mini, I suspect that it won't be dog slow either.

I'm also not sure I understand the "half of the OS will be released" stuff, sounds like some miscommunication.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacWaffler wrote:
nostromo wrote:
He was told by Apple, that it is only half of the OS that will be released next year. They apparently have more features that they feel comfortable with not having to test in the beta release. And they don't want others to start making apps based on those new ideas. Or so they say...
I'm also not sure I understand the "half of the OS will be released" stuff, sounds like some miscommunication.
Yeah me too.
I think it is..... Apple will just release half of the other features in Leopard. The ones they don't need tested and don't want copied.
If they let something like Time Machine out the door, which is pretty nice, I wonder what else they have in-store for us.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: 10.4.8 Reply with quote

i updated macbook and i mac. excel works fine. internet and rosetta seem better. no problems that i can see. Twisted Evil
macbook 2 ghz, 2 gig ram
i got 99 problems but a bitch aint one
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I wonder what else they have in-store for us.

My bet: some sort of virtualization feature built into OS X. I also think there are going to be major improvements made in Front Row 2.0. Hopefully, those improvements will be more about functionality than eye candy, but it's all good. I must say that UI they showed with iTV looked freaking awesome. There should also be some nice improvements made in iLife '07. How about some Cover Flow action in iPhoto with photos? I guess this all makes 10.4.8 seem a little boring! On that note, no problems with the update here. Laughing
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd one: installed the latest last night then got up this morning and no applications would run. Reboot seems to have fixed it.

Anyone have problems?

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
CubeParts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
What kind of display are you using? TV?

Yes, I should have made that clearer. Core Duo connected to a Sony Bravia 32" HDTV via DVI-to-VGA adapter. Today I am going to try the HDMI connector again to see if the problem with the border around the screen still persists (I am not optimistic that anything has changed but, hey, you never know).
boatj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacWaffler wrote:
Yea, I grabbed the stand alone installer this afternoon. . .

Did the same this AM, everything seems to be working OK (No, I don't use M$)
—Oh my, I'm back to being a Junior Member Shocked
jthawke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: All is Good Reply with quote

Performed my usual "voodoo" this morning and all is good. Don't notice a single difference performance-wise . . . had kind of hoped that somehow cover flow in itunes would work . . . but at least no problems of any kind. Did have to reset my CandyBar icons, but that happens every update.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nostromo wrote:
OUCH!

A lot of people are reporting problems with Rosetta... Adobe and MS apps don't work anymore and it is reeking havoc on intel macs right now...

I think I am going to sit this one out...

Besides, I don't feel I need to update the mini...

Oh and my update would come in at 147MBs.... how about yours?

I am on a MacMini Intel Core Duo

Just to ease the normal concerns over major OS updates. I have Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Reader. No problems with either after the update.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I spoke too soon. Photoshop CS2 seems to work just fine, but it won't quit once you are done working with it. You have to force quit to exit it.

Since Apple and Adobe have an excellent working relationship, I suspect that they will get it sorted out in a week or so. If someone relies heavily on Photoshop, I wold hold off on 10.4.8 for a week.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another site I read that a few people had problems, Solved by doing the combo update instead of the delta, then cleaning caches and repairing permissions followed by a couple reboots. I run CS2 as well it shuts down just fine. Over all it seem the only improvement for me is Safari seem to browse just a bit faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: