123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac Ports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: iMac Ports Reply with quote

I was wondering what iMac owners think of ALL of the ports being located on the back of the unit.

I'm thinking about getting an iMac to reduce cables, power supplies etc. but with every device having to go into the back of the iMac itself do you ever find this annoying. I realize I can get a hub, but that means 2 cables going to it and a power supply.

I'm thinking of the 24" model so firewire 800 would be nice to have as well. This could potentially lead to another cable.

Feedback appreciated.

Bill
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connectivity is a necessary evil isn't it?

A side mounted port would be useful but any flash drive would look incongruous when docked, mounting on the front would be unacceptable. One bizarre mistake is putting the remote magnet on the bottom right because it gets knocked off every time you reach around the back...

I try to minimise cabling with hubs which isn't too bad.
I have two 4 port USB2 powered hubs giving 7 ports and a Belkin 4 port firewire hub. The USB hubs support two printers and three other devices, the Belkin supports 3 HDDs and a camcorder.

I really need to get a 7 port USB to tidy things up but there aren't any very attractive ones available in the UK at least nothing that matches the iMac. If I were in North America I'd buy an IOgear combo hub and USB hub. They are white and vertical and have 2 forward facing ports.

Cable management should be reasonably easy via the rear hole in the stand, but if you buy Apple miniDV adaptors they are VERY short and don't reach as far as the hole.

Don't know if this is helpful to you but you have to connect somewhere and the new arrangement along the bottom is far better than the old vertical ports.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might suck if you wall mount your iMac...otherwise, I never had a problem with the location myself. As mentioned previously, all other locations would suck worse.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Intel's couldn't be wall mounted?

sfieldhouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note...

I want to ideally just have a power cable, optical audio and an i/o cable coming out of my mac.

As firewire is faster than USB, is there any type of hub that allows USB and firewire connectivity in one firewire attached hub?

Also, can you daisy chain usb hubs? and if so which ones need to have power bricks?
500GB HDD
Superdrive
Tiger 10.4.8
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You eventually grow into reaching back there and automatically know where the ports are. It will take some time, but eventually you will get there. I, myself, hardly move anything to and from the back of there. I plug my flash drive into the Apple keyboard. But I still know where things are. I personally like that there are no connections in front. If you have a bunch of accessories, the connections are hidden. Keeps a nice, clean, professional appearance.

I do have a USB cable extender that is easy to reach... that I use on my Mini. That way I can route all my wires under the desk and kept hidden. Then I still have a easily available USB port to connect anything quickly.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfieldhouse wrote:
On a similar note...

I want to ideally just have a power cable, optical audio and an i/o cable coming out of my mac.

As firewire is faster than USB, is there any type of hub that allows USB and firewire connectivity in one firewire attached hub?

Also, can you daisy chain usb hubs? and if so which ones need to have power bricks?

You can daisy chain USB hubs powered or otherwise it's just a question of whether there's enough juice to run the your chosen item

You can find lots of mixed USB/firewire hubs, but as USB and firewire are different technologies there are no mixed hubs that allow data transfer across the two within the hub. You'll need both cables.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more concerned with how things look. With my Cinema Display I have the choice to put my mini where ever I want. The only thing that need to be exposed is one cable. I can then plug my accessories into the mini, which can be hidden.

I'm just wondering if anyone bought the iMac with the hopes of a nice clean look and in the end regreted it because of all the cables going into the back of it.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm more concerned with how things look. With my Cinema Display I have the choice to put my mini where ever I want. The only thing that need to be exposed is one cable. I can then plug my accessories into the mini, which can be hidden.

I'm just wondering if anyone bought the iMac with the hopes of a nice clean look and in the end regreted it because of all the cables going into the back of it.
No regrets so far. All I did was take the cables.. tied with plastic cable ties.. and then routed out the circle in the aluminum stand. It looks more like a large braid. Most of the accessories that don't need to be out.. are hidden with the wires going behind and under the desk immediately. Most the wires for other devices are just routed from various points on the desk. Like the printer on a separate stand. It just comes from the braid.. separates from it and runs along the desk and the wall to the printer, it can't been seen. Sure there are a lot of things plugged in, but if you take the time, you can definitely organize them nicely and keep them decently hidden. It also helps if you have an hutch.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

I thought you were a cabling fanatic?

Actually even though there are lots of cables behind this iMac I can't actually see them as the stand hole lifts them off the desktop out of site. I didn't buy an iMac concerned over the cabling aesthetics though.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
I thought you were a cabling fanatic?

I am, that's why I'm asking.

I'm a fan of cables and a fan of keeping them looking neat. I love the look of the single power cable running into the back of the iMac/ACD. I wish it could be left at that.

I agree that you can't see them from the front. So it should all be good. If I go with an iMac, I've got a pretty slick idea for the bundle that will be going out the back.

Of course I'm not going to share the idea. I'd rather show it Smile
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could use Bluetooth for any printer or scanner so that would cut that cable out. Wireless access points could help for other devices.

sfieldhouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring on UWB!
500GB HDD
Superdrive
Tiger 10.4.8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: