123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello, new here and have a couple questions please....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeskyGee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Hello, new here and have a couple questions please.... Reply with quote

Hi, Just got a MAC Mini Smile Its my first MAC. I'm usually a Linux user but I just got sick and tired of the tweaking and wanted something that just ran and thats it. I would have to say after playing with this thing for about 4 days now I think I made the right choice. Its been very stable and fun to play with and it just runs (thats the best part). There are a few things though that I would like to ask if I may.

1. I have a Logitech Cordless Desktop Freedom connected to the mini and its working fine except for one thing, no matter what I try (holding C or Option, Alt key, I cannot get this thing to give me a selection at boot or boot straight from the CD??. When the system boots its blank for a while and then I get the Grey Apple screen, I am assuming that is normal but I cannot get those to work. I was able to get the F12 to eject my CD at boot but nothing else. This also leads to my second question:

2. I have a firewire setup with a 150GB WD drive and was thinking about using that as my boot drive. I been through the forums and got alot of info on how to do this but I was wondering if someone has a good walkthrough for this. Of course I have to fix the keyboard thing first because I tried a drive boot switch in the system prefs earlier with the cdrom and I got stuck in a loop until I F12'ed the CD out Twisted Evil That sucked.

3. Last but not least. I upgraded my RAM to 1GB without any problem but I got the Kingston Value 2700 RAM and I have been hearing horror stories about this RAM all over the Forum. As of now it appears to be just fine for me and I noticed a huge increase in performance. I tested it and it was fine and played a few games to see and so far so good but, I'm a little paranoid from all the other post about this RAM. Is there anyone that is using this RAM and is not having a problem? I have the 1.42 MAC Mini if anyone needs that info.

Thanks for you time and assistance and I look forward to learning/playing more with this MAC Very Happy
PeskyGee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't get any answers to my problems but I went ahead and tried to solve them myself. I was able to get the firewire drive working without problem even though I still can't use the keys at boot. I was able to SuperDuper the drive to my firewire and then change the boot info in the system properties. As for the RAM well, I have had no problems with it and its been very stable even when putting it to the test with alot of apps open and a few games, so its a keeper Very Happy
The only problem I still have is that I still can't use my Keys at boot?? When am I supposed to hit the keys and do I have to hold them in or just hit once and thats it?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The only problem I still have is that I still can't use my Keys at boot?? When am I supposed to hit the keys and do I have to hold them in or just hit once and thats it?"

Hold them. Your wireless keyboard may be acting wacky. There might be some sort of lag going on with your computer acquiring the signal from the keyboard.. Are you able to boot into to the FireWire drive now? Kingston memory is fine. Don't worry about it unless your system is acting goofy or won't boot.
PeskyGee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep firewire is up and running and the Kingston memory is working great. Yeah, perhaps there is a lag. Have to try a few things maybe to see but its working great besides that. Thanks
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a wired keyboard?
DoFa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your system is stable, then I wouldn't worry about reports to the contrary. I had a Kingston 2700 stick, I think better results have been had with the PC3200?

You are aware:

1. that holding the mouse button during boot causes the optical media to eject.
2. pushing option during boot allows you to select the startup volume and OS.

I wasn't sure if either of these would have been helpful for you.
PeskyGee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's. I have a dell wired keyboard that I may have to try to see if I can get it to work at boot. I did notice when playing a game that all of a sudden, just for a moment I loose control of the keyboard. its only for a minute and then Its fine but that has to be why I can't use any of the keys at boot. There appears to be a sporadic connectivity with the Logitech keyboard with a PS2/USB adaptor. I will try the Dell Keys and see if that works. I got a sheet off the web of all the keys that can be used at boot so I can try them out. As for the memory, yeah I'm not worried about it at all because my system is solid as a rock. I have been installing stuff left and right on the system and playing some games to test it and I have had no problems at all Smile
I was thinking about getting an actual MAC keyboard but man, they are not cheap and I have a very hard time spending 60$ on a keyboard. That alot of money when you can get one for 20$ or less.

Anyhow thanks for the tips guys Very Happy
PeskyGee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well solved that problem. I got a Kensington Wireless keyboard combo for MAC and its working great. There was something up with the PS/2-USB Adaptor that was just not right. But the keys are working at boot now and I finally have some cool multimedia keys to play with also.

Thanks again Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS/2-USB adapters can be fussy. Glad to hear you got it working!
iLife's a Bitch!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
PS/2-USB adapters can be fussy. Glad to hear you got it working!

I use an adapter and haven't had any issues. I MAINLY use it because my KVM is PS/2 and I have two other PS/2 systems that I share with the monitor/keyboard/mouse.

I've thought about abandoning the KVM and buying an Apple keyboard. (unlike many people here, I really LIKE those keyboards! (wife has one on her iMac and I always enjoy using it))

I use the mini 99% of the time anyway...I'm just sentimentally attached to the other systems. (one is an old K6/2-450Mhz that still runs linux great and the other is my old Ultra5...again, running linux) And, actually, I can't use the PS/2 devices with the Ultra5 anyway...so I am torn.

But I'll figure it out. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mav - What kinda KVM you using?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: