123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Security Update 2006-005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Security Update 2006-005 Reply with quote

Apple Releases Security Update 2006-005
Thursday, September 21, 2006

Apple has released Security Update 2006-005 via Mac OS X's Software Update Utility and on the Web. According to the company, Security Update 2006-005 is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components:

AirPort

CVE-ID: CVE-2006-3507

Available for: Mac OS X v10.3.9, Mac OS X Server v10.3.9, Mac OS X v10.4.7, Mac OS X Server v10.4.7

Impact: Attackers on the wireless network may cause arbitrary code execution

Description: Two separate stack buffer overflows exist in the AirPort wireless driver's handling of malformed frames. An attacker in local proximity may be able to trigger an overflow by injecting a maliciously-crafted frame into a wireless network. When the AirPort is on, this could lead to arbitrary code execution with system privileges. This issue affects Power Mac, PowerBook, iMac, Mac Pro, Xserve, and PowerPC-based Mac mini computers equipped with wireless. Intel-based Mac mini, MacBook, and MacBook Pro computers are not affected. There is no known exploit for this issue. This update addresses the issues by performing additional validation of wireless frames.

AirPort

CVE-ID: CVE-2006-3508

Available for: Mac OS X v10.4.7, Mac OS X Server v10.4.7

Impact: Attackers on the wireless network may cause system crashes, privilege elevation, or arbitrary code execution

Description: A heap buffer overflow exists in the AirPort wireless driver's handling of scan cache updates. An attacker in local proximity may be able to trigger the overflow by injecting a maliciously-crafted frame into the wireless network. This could lead to a system crash, privilege elevation, or arbitrary code execution with system privileges. This issue affects Intel-based Mac mini, MacBook, and MacBook Pro computers equipped with wireless. Power Mac, PowerBook, iMac, Mac Pro, Xserve, and PowerPC-based Mac mini computers are not affected. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of wireless frames. There is no known exploit for this issue. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4.

AirPort

CVE-ID: CVE-2006-3509

Available for: Mac OS X v10.4.7, Mac OS X Server v10.4.7

Impact: Depending upon third-party wireless software in use, attackers on the wireless network may cause crashes or arbitrary code execution

Description: An integer overflow exists in the Airport wireless driver's API for third-party wireless software. This could lead to a buffer overflow in such applications dependent upon API usage. No applications are known to be affected at this time. If an application is affected, then an attacker in local proximity may be able to trigger an overflow by injecting a maliciously-crafted frame into the wireless network. This may cause crashes or lead to arbitrary code execution with the privileges of the user running the application. This issue affects Intel-based Mac mini, MacBook, and MacBook Pro computers equipped with wireless. Power Mac, PowerBook, iMac, Mac Pro, Xserve, and PowerPC-based Mac mini computers are not affected. This update addresses the issues by performing additional validation of wireless frames. There is no known exploit for this issue. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4.

Apple also released the AirPort Update 2006-001. According to the company, this update improves AirPort reliability on Macintosh computers.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/532.html
bsnoel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I can sleep at night. LOL!

Anyway, I put the patch on three Macs and no issues so far.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... waiting for the next iTunes patch (well it works perfect for me, others are waiting).....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the Airport baby! Shocked
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
..... waiting for the next iTunes patch (well it works perfect for me, others are waiting).....

That patch can't come fast enough for me. iTunes 7 is acting really really strange. I posted about memory issues with it the other night.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
That patch can't come fast enough for me. iTunes 7 is acting really really strange. I posted about memory issues with it the other night.
Yeah, this version of iTunes is getting the anti-Apple people saying.. see what garbage Apple puts out.. you can see a lot of it on CNET (probably some of the most biased against Apple members, that I regularly check).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
devo wrote:
Yeah, this version of iTunes is getting the anti-Apple people saying.. see what garbage Apple puts out.. you can see a lot of it on CNET (probably some of the most biased against Apple members, that I regularly check).

I took a look at the apple forums in the Itunes windows section the other day. If you want to see some unhappy people go there. I feel sorry for any company that has to make software for windows. What kinds of things are people experiencing on the apple side of things? I know that apple is trying to make the cover art downloads more complete.

I did the patch on my macbook, G4 1.42 mini and a G4 ibook with no issues. I am hopeing that it will take advantage of some of the features on my macbook that are on some of the chips that apple was not using. I would like to see at least the same battery life as my old G3 ibook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: