123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New mac?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roblemmen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: New mac? Reply with quote

Ok,

I have had a very old G3, but the past 6 months it was broken and since then I hated it to work on my brothers PC.

I am in love with the mac mini, but I'd like some answers:
Most people I talked to, are or very sceptical or they can only say nice words about the mini.

- 1.25 Ghz G4, is that about 2.5Ghz Intel pentium 4? I thought it was like that. And how far can I overclock it?

- And further, which type of RAM do I need to put in the mini, cause 256 is not enough and I know it is 512, but what type is best?

- ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM with AGP 4X support. Only 32 MB, what can I do with that? Plz some answers I can get along with. Which games can it play? Can I play my WoW on this without too much lag?
roblemmen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on, plz answer. i need help Exclamation
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 40GB is enough storage for you, get the basic mac mini model and buy a 1GB stick of ram from some place like newegg.

You CAN overclock the mini, but it involved some soldiering and, IMHO, really doesn't buy you much other than bragging rights.

I happily play WoW on my Mac Mini. I turn the video settings down a bit...but otherwise it plays quite well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
roblemmen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this, I think I am waiting a bit longer.

Quote:
The latest on the Mac Mini.

Apple has been in the process of intensively revamping its consumer desktops (Mini, iMac, eMac) for several months now.

With the relatively modest PowerMac G5 (2.7GHz) update behind us, the next step will most likely be an iMac revision -- which will also probably be relatively modest, at least in the performance department.

The real excitement, however, appears to rest with the Mac Mini.

Some of these features may not arrive in the next revision, but we believe most of them will:

*New GPU with 64MB of graphics RAM (in the high end model at the very least) and programmability support for Tiger's Core Graphics technology - probably the GeForce FX 5200 or similar.

*Digital Optical audio output

*G4 processors at 1.42 and 1.67GHz.

*256MB of memory built-in (soldered on ultra-compact motherboard riser card), leaving the PC2700 DDR-SDRAM DIMM slot free for upgrades without having to remove the OEM memory. This will allow inexpensive upgrades to 768 or 1.256GB of RAM -- and support for up to 2.256GB using 2GB DIMMs.

*Optional slot-loading Superdrive with Dual-Layer support. Due to cost, will not be standard equipment even on the high-end model.

*Removal of the unused "mystery connector" Firewire riser card to make room for the soldered-in memory and larger Core Graphics-compatible GPU. It looks like this hidden feature may have been a dead-end after all.

*May be the first Mac to support Apple's forthcoming 108Mbps version of Airport Extreme "X2" -- uses the same connector as Airport Extreme, but benefits from an upgraded antenna.

All in all, a very solid leap forward for Apple's least expensive Macintosh. As for timetables, we currently expect the second-generation Minis to premiere at an Apple Event this summer -- most likely separate from, but in the same timing ballpark, as Macworld Expo Boston in mid July.

At all the other mac rumor sites there are discussions like this on forums. Especially:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131191
3balls

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine, at 1.50 beats my p4 2.8 shuttle pc. the video however is not a "gamers dream". apple needs to upgrade the vid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: