123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacCube Concept
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
They should make it glow (Apple Logo)... and pulsate when sleeping...

The pulsing lights during sleep mode annoy people. Especially if they keep their computer in the bedroom. I think sleep mode should just be a faint glow.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dace wrote:
What do u think?

No offense, but I'm not crazy about the sphere design. A flat bottom would make it look like the base of the flat panel G4 iMac.

Devo wrote:
Although, I wouldn't mind if it was taller because it had two or three drive cages like the Mac Pro.

Two 3.5" drive bays would be awesome!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
The pulsing lights during sleep mode annoy people.
Annoy some people... it doesn't annoy me, my mom, my aunt and a few others I know that have a Mac. Everyone who sees it... says wow.. it is like its alive. I think you should be able to give user control over it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
If they released a Cube with slightly above iMac specs with iMac prices and the ability to upgrade, I'd lay down the cash for it.

In my opinion, it wouldn't cannibalize sales for anything else.

I'm in the same boat with you man, I think they need to come out with one more model for there computers. between the mini and the mac pro. Just a headless tower thats priced somewhere around the imac. Put extra dive cages in it for easy upgrades and a pci-e slot to chuck in my own video card. Hell the name just writes itself... The MAC.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
plaidmac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacWaffler wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Have only 1 USB & FireWire on the front.. Put power button on the back. Make the power an external brick and make the power plug as small as the Minis. Lower it 2-3 inches. Change the layout of the ports on the back.

Make the whole thing aluminum, no polycarbonate top...

And an embossed Apple logo on the front...

And make the logo the power-on light. My son just bought the new iMac 20" and while I was impressed by the subtle power-on indicator, he said they should have combined it with the logo and I think he was right. But still, it beats a blazing, distractive LED in a darkened room while watching a movie.
nnn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ford thunderbird started life in the fifties as a beautiful small barebones would be sports car, by the mid seventies it was an overweight semi luxury eyesore that had lost its way in the world. careful what you wish for. the quest for power can never be satisfied.

i think most people here are in the position of the early day hot-rodders they want something cheap that they can modify and tune to their liking and that is what mac could take advantage of and also still make a good profit on. i don't know much about the present graphic set up on the intel mac but if apple allowed each user to customize their own system by letting the end user set up the shared memory allocation for video in system preferences, would that solve the video card issue. in a way apple is sort of on the right track with the build to order idea they're just a little slow to offer the latest and best for the mini.
Dan__

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MacCube Concept Reply with quote

admin wrote:
MacCube Concept
Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Japanese designer Isamu Sanada has created yet another interesting Mac concept. [...]

So let us know what you think! Is this concept the Mac mini tower of your dreams?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/531.html
Pffft. Been there done that. From the Desktop's thread, "Would you purchase a MacPro".
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6896&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Here's what I had from before, with some minor updates to the text, specs (no FW800), and prices.
I guess I was a little optimistic with ship dates and the inexpensive mini solo :-(

Dan__ wrote:

One model, with BTO options, including the processor. In the base model, include the greater RAM that we discussed, the superdrive, mouse and keyboard, and well, if you must, throw another $39 profit in there. And, oh yeah, the remote. Here's what that looks like:
Quote:
Conroe E6300 - 1.86 GHz – FSB1066 – 2 MB cache - ($210)
1GB RAM
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
One open PCI-Express expansion slot
One open Optical drive slot [maybe] (i.e. for 2nd DVD drive)
Graphics Card with 128MB SDRAM
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0, USB/FW400
Remote [(?] I think this box will still be small enough to fit into home entertainment setups.]
Keyboard, Mighty Mouse...................................................... $999

Some Options:
Conroe E6600 - 2.40 GHz – FSB1066 – 4 MB cache – (+$200)
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse +$60
Add DVD/CD ROM drive (in 2nd slot) + $50
250GB SATA hard drive +$75
+1GB RAM (2GB total) +$100
+3GB RAM (4GB total) +$300
Slightly Better Graphics Card with 256MB SDRAM + $50
Much Better Graphics Card +$200+

How does that look?
ecking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: MacCube Concept Reply with quote

Quote:
Pffft. Been there done that. From the Desktop's thread, "Would you purchase a MacPro".
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6896&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Here's what I had from before, with some minor updates to the text, specs (no FW800), and prices.
I guess I was a little optimistic with ship dates and the inexpensive mini solo Sad

Dan__ wrote:

One model, with BTO options, including the processor. In the base model, include the greater RAM that we discussed, the superdrive, mouse and keyboard, and well, if you must, throw another $39 profit in there. And, oh yeah, the remote. Here's what that looks like:
Quote:
Conroe E6300 - 1.86 GHz – FSB1066 – 2 MB cache - ($210)
1GB RAM
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
One open PCI-Express expansion slot
One open Optical drive slot [maybe] (i.e. for 2nd DVD drive)
Graphics Card with 128MB SDRAM
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0, USB/FW400
Remote [(?] I think this box will still be small enough to fit into home entertainment setups.]
Keyboard, Mighty Mouse...................................................... $999

Some Options:
Conroe E6600 - 2.40 GHz – FSB1066 – 4 MB cache – (+$200)
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse +$60
Add DVD/CD ROM drive (in 2nd slot) + $50
250GB SATA hard drive +$75
+1GB RAM (2GB total) +$100
+3GB RAM (4GB total) +$300
Slightly Better Graphics Card with 256MB SDRAM + $50
Much Better Graphics Card +$200+

How does that look?

Now that is a perfect mini tower design imho. But it doesn't need 2 optical drive bays, 1 would give the components more breathing space.

I would buy what you made in a new york minute.

The only physical improvement I'd like is the removal of the second optical bay and a white macbook pro type apple led on the front. Mind trying that on the design and reposting it? That would look incredible.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that one from Dan has the right height.. the other one is just too tall!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, if I had time, I'd draw a picture and make up specifications too.

Sorry, guess I don't think this is front page worthy news.
pmjoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
IMHO, this is the ONLY reason it would nice to have clones. Of course, we'd not get the apple logo pulsating . . . but we'd still get OS X and same really nice designs that don't have to be blessed by the Steve.

Therein lies the rub. I don't think Steve would ever allow any clone to look something like a Mac. So maybe we'd get some nice designs, but they wouldn't look anything like this, which is based off the mini design.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmjoe wrote:
Sorry, guess I don't think this is front page worthy news.
Actually, I agree. But......
pmjoe wrote:
Wow, if I had time, I'd draw a picture and make up specifications too.
Rolling Eyes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
IMHO, this is the ONLY reason it would nice to have clones. Of course, we'd not get the apple logo pulsating . . . but we'd still get OS X and same really nice designs that don't have to be blessed by the Steve.
I think that is the reason why it is a good thing to be blessed by Steve. Imagine this Gateway computer with a "Mac OS X" sticker on it Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with ecking on this design. Looks like it would blend the best of a mini with something beefier. But one drive bay, that way the lines arent broken up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is beter, the original concept was too tall, but I still opt for something fresh and not deriviative of the mini.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: