123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacCube Concept
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should make it glow (Apple Logo)... and pulsate when sleeping...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
They should make it glow (Apple Logo)... and pulsate when sleeping...

Let me know whent they are ready, I would seriously order 2 of them right away.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
jthawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, this is the ONLY reason it would nice to have clones. Of course, we'd not get the apple logo pulsating . . . but we'd still get OS X and same really nice designs that don't have to be blessed by the Steve.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
IMHO, this is the ONLY reason it would nice to have clones. Of course, we'd not get the apple logo pulsating . . . but we'd still get OS X and same really nice designs that don't have to be blessed by the Steve.

My memory of the clones I had to work on makes me think of one thing... thank jeebus for Steve Jobs required blessing...

jthawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory is exactly the same. I'm hoping by now that technology would have improved and we wouldn't be dealing with someone trying to build lots of beige boxes. A niche product that uses the same "innards" as current Apple machines and wouldn't need special drivers?

I know, it won't happen. But neither will a mini tower. Time to stop dreaming and get back to work.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
My memory is exactly the same. I'm hoping by now that technology would have improved and we wouldn't be dealing with someone trying to build lots of beige boxes. A niche product that uses the same "innards" as current Apple machines and wouldn't need special drivers?

I know, it won't happen. But neither will a mini tower. Time to stop dreaming and get back to work.

I dunno'... everyone said we wouldn't get a headless Mac and we got the mini. Everyone said we won't see an non-PPC chip in a Mac and we now have Intel. One thing I have decided, never under estimate what Apple will do to stay alive and thrive.

mojofrojo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the concept and all I can think is "meh". If it was top loading it would look better to me. And at least keep it square, why turn it into a rectangle?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jthawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofrojo wrote:
I see the concept and all I can think is "meh". If it was top loading it would look better to me. And at least keep it square, why turn it into a rectangle?

This is a really interesting experiment. I happen to think the design is perfect "as is". Others like it a little, others not at all. Kind of explains how Chevy sells ANY Impalas.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I don't mind the design, but it's just a little too tall. The only reason Apple would need increase the overall height of the Mac mini is if they went with a 3.5" drive. Even then, I figure it would only need to be another 2-3 inches taller than the current Mac mini. That would basically make it the same height as the Mac mini stacked with a MiniStack. I also don't mind the Mac mini having an external power supply, so there's no need to increase the height to make room for an internal one.

Agreed! Although, I wouldn't mind if it was taller because it had two or three drive cages like the Mac Pro. I think people are going to want all the internal storage options they can get their hands for iTV. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Apple come out with a cube like NAS device. That would be pretty cool! Cool One more thing…. I don't like the ports on the bottom side of this design. I'd rather see them mounted vertically on the front like the Mac Pro.
nnn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think most agree that its too tall double the height of the present mini should be enough what he wants to put into it is dead on though. i've read enough of the posting here that it seems obvious that most want a faster chip, a larger and faster hard drive, more standard ram and a better video card that would be upgradable
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nnn wrote:
i think most agree that its too tall double the height of the present mini should be enough what he wants to put into it is dead on though. i've read enough of the posting here that it seems obvious that most want a faster chip, a larger and faster hard drive, more standard ram and a better video card that would be upgradable

The current mini is a sweet little machine. The only true weakness is the video card. And to be honest, unless you're a gamer, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference. It handles DVDs and video like a champ. I would still love to see Apple include a 3.5" hard drive at some point in the mini. But to be honest, the way 2.5" hard drive technology is moving along, that may be a moot point in another year.
Airborne2k4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh...
it's ok....not a concept that I would picture apple inventing, since the concept intself is basically all the components on the back turned right-side-up. Grant it, there would be a better graphics card and faster processor, but who is to say that you cannot make all of that work in a package as small as the current mini.

Overall: 3/5 stars
---8x Superdrive
-MiniStack v2 250GB
-Adobe CS2 with Studio 8
-Final Cut PRO-->can't get it to work on the mini Sad
-iPhone, 8GB
diulei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they released a Cube with slightly above iMac specs with iMac prices and the ability to upgrade, I'd lay down the cash for it.

In my opinion, it wouldn't cannibalize sales for anything else.
Dace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That concept looks like that guy never studied design. He didn't even try to redesign the mac mini, he just made it fugly.

The cube format has been done and tried even on the pc side. Its time for something different...say hello to the mac sphere:

Thats a quick sketch I made. The PSU and 3.5" HD wuld be at the bottom to keep the weight down. It would be flat at the bottom to keep it from rolling. Imagine the back of it with vertical slots for vent maybe also some horizontal slots below the cd drive at the front. The power plug would be as close to the bottom as possible in the back. The general i/o would be in the back along the middle horizontal slot. And yes it should come with a pci-e vga card and it would have some kind of mechanism that lets u open it in half along the horizontal slot in order to easily upgrade it/ service it. Finally, since its made from aluminum it comes in 5 anodized colors even pink! Oh, and the usual apple logo at the top also embossed. Maybe we could eliminate the hd light led and instead put a blue(or white) glow at the base of the sphere as a hd light

What do u think?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
But to be honest, the way 2.5" hard drive technology is moving along, that may be a moot point in another year.
True... but when a 400GB 2.5" hard drive comes out... I'd probably rather have a 1.5TB 3.5" hard drive for the same price (speaking as in the future)..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: