123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacCube Concept
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: MacCube Concept Reply with quote

MacCube Concept
Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Japanese designer Isamu Sanada has created yet another interesting Mac concept. The MacCube takes the styling of the Mac mini and Power Mac G4 Cube, and mixes them into a new headless small-form-factor Mac. Isamu says his MacCube would include a Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz processor, SuperDrive, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT video card, optical digital audio input/output, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, gigabit Ethernet, and a plethora of USB and FireWire 400/800 ports. Isamu also says it would be as quiet as the Mac mini and include an internal power supply. So let us know what you think! Is this concept the Mac mini tower of your dreams?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/531.html
Lungkisser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any-and-all applications that aren't Games, I haven't experienced any (or very little... at least compared to Windows XP, and I had a pretty good computer back then) noticeable slowness in my Mac Mini. I guess it's be good for the Gamer who already has a nice monitor and can't afford the Mac Pro (and doesn't want a laptop) ... and, I mean, it can't hurt to have a mid-range Mac...

I just can't imagine wanting one. With the work I went into to put the 2GB of RAM in my Mini, I plan to use it for AWHILE.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for a new Cube, but that patent Apple put in might just have been house cleaning; companies will go back and file patents on their prior art if they didn't do it when the work was released. I believe Apple has done this in the past.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG IT'S HUGE!!

It look pretty stupid.

It's a box not a cube.

He should be able to put those specs in something alot smaller.

I dont see the point in making a bigger mac mini he should be trying to design something smaller and faster not larger and ugly.

PS3 60GB owner.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy and paste this into your sig.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the mini because it is small and inconspicuous. I've had folks come over and not even realize that the computer (mini) is sitting there right next to the monitor. If I were to consider something larger like this concept, I'd just go ahead and buy a Mac Pro and put it under the desk.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn between my love of the mini form factor and the always deep desire for "more power", if Apple releases a cube I am likely there unless it is just hideous. If Apple releases a Core 2 Duo tower that could sway me as well, but I don't think my usage pattern can justify a Pro any time soon, although having a giant e-peen is always fun Exclamation

macfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we expect to see a core 2 duo 2.33mhz verison of a mac mini next year when Leopard is released ? A 250GB hard drive and 2GB of RAM as standard would be good or is this pushing things too far given the size and extra heat generated etc ?
jthawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Love It Reply with quote

Would buy it in a second. I like the mini, but of all the Macs I've owned (21!!) the Cube was my favorite. Perfect combination of size, speed and quiet . . . and NO built in display!! Come on, Apple . . .
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also say I would buy a cube, but I hope it doesn't look like that, I don't want a recycled mini design, bring me something fresh.

Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macfan wrote:
Can we expect to see a core 2 duo 2.33mhz verison of a mac mini next year when Leopard is released ? A 250GB hard drive and 2GB of RAM as standard would be good or is this pushing things too far given the size and extra heat generated etc ?

I think the Core 2 Duo are pin-compatible and produce less heat than the Core Duo processor. I'd say it should be possible.

I don't see Apple maxing out the RAM for the default configuration, especially since you can do it yourself or via BTO options.

And last, do 250GB drives even exist in 2.5"?
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that's the back of the thing, although the DVD slot tells me it isn't.

It may be interesting, but it's a non-starter.

Confused

Jamie
jthawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
I hope that's the back of the thing, although the DVD slot tells me it isn't.

It may be interesting, but it's a non-starter.

Confused

Jamie

That pic is the back. The website link shows the other views. What looks like the DVD slot is a cooling vent.

I happen to like the looks of this thing as is, but of course as Apple will probably never build us something like this, it's a "moo point" (Friends reference).

I've just ordered a new intel mini (that iTunes 7 issue pushed me into it) but I'm going to keep going mini instead of imac in hopes that I'm wrong and Apple offers us a new cube . . . or a much smaller tower.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the design, but it's just a little too tall. The only reason Apple would need increase the overall height of the Mac mini is if they went with a 3.5" drive. Even then, I figure it would only need to be another 2-3 inches taller than the current Mac mini. That would basically make it the same height as the Mac mini stacked with a MiniStack. I also don't mind the Mac mini having an external power supply, so there's no need to increase the height to make room for an internal one.
iLife's a Bitch!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have only 1 USB & FireWire on the front.. Put power button on the back. Make the power an external brick and make the power plug as small as the Minis. Lower it 2-3 inches. Change the layout of the ports on the back.

Make the whole thing aluminum, no polycarbonate top...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Have only 1 USB & FireWire on the front.. Put power button on the back. Make the power an external brick and make the power plug as small as the Minis. Lower it 2-3 inches. Change the layout of the ports on the back.

Make the whole thing aluminum, no polycarbonate top...

And an embossed Apple logo on the front...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: