123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help again - External HD for XP & OSX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Help again - External HD for XP & OSX Reply with quote

OK you can tell that I'm a newbie with this one:

I just got the 300GB Maxtor OneTouch II. I went to my PC loaded my files to transfer to it. Plugged it into my Mini...Cant read the disk. How in blazes am iI suppoesd to transfer files it it cant read the disk.

OK, so can OSX read Fat32? NTFS? What do I need to do here. I would like a drive that can port data between the two formats.
slickrick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format the drive with Fat32.
itsupikiookami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help again - External HD for XP & OSX Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
OK you can tell that I'm a newbie with this one:

I just got the 300GB Maxtor OneTouch II. I went to my PC loaded my files to transfer to it. Plugged it into my Mini...Cant read the disk. How in blazes am iI suppoesd to transfer files it it cant read the disk.

OK, so can OSX read Fat32? NTFS? What do I need to do here. I would like a drive that can port data between the two formats.

From Apple: (Support Link

Moving hard drive

While it is possible to move some IDE PC hard drives into some model Macintosh computers, this is not the recommended method of transferring data and it should only be used by experienced computer users who understand how to install and format PC hard drives. It is only possible to read FAT and FAT32 formatted drives in a Macintosh. Do not use NTFS formatted drives in a Macintosh computer.

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther works with local NTFS-formatted volumes. The volume will be read-only.

Warning: NTFS formatted drives cannot be used in a Macintosh (except as read-only with Mac OS X 10.,3 as noted above). If you attempt to use a NTFS formatted disk, upon starting up the Mac OS will prompt you to format the drive. Do not format the drive, doing so will erase the contents of the drive. If you have an NTFS formatted disk, you must use another method to transfer the data from the PC to the Macintosh.

---

Since Panther can read NTFS volumes, Tiger should be able to as well, but if you're looking for maximum portability between platforms, then, as slickrick said, FAT32 is the way to go...
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is formatted in FAT32. And it does ask me to format/erase/partition.

Damm!...damm!
GadZooks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
It is formatted in FAT32. And it does ask me to format/erase/partition.

So the Mac recognizes the drive, but not the file system.

If you didn't do it this way, a simple test I would try is to
use the Mac to format the drive as FAT32 (that is an option,
right?). Now the Mac will recognize the drive and the file
system and it should be compatible with Windows.

Cheers,
GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: