123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates iMac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
just curious, if i boot an imac24 in windows and try to run halflife2 with good settings and fullscreen would it work? maybe with the video upgrade module? That is a lot of screen to power for a higher end game, just wondering if anyone has an idea?

You'd be better off buying a Dimension 9200 and 24" LCD from Dell. Windows is a way better platform for gaming and Apple can't come close to matching Dell on price. You can buy a "headless" Core 2 Duo Dimension 9200 with a 24" LCD for hundreds less than the 24" iMac.
sross

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I want windows as my primary OS? blech, been there done that. I'd prefer an imac24 with lesser graphics since gaming is just an afterthought anyways..
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
Apple can't come close to matching Dell on price.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/features/macproprice/index.php?lsrc=mwtoprss

It's OK, Zed. We've all been there.

Wink

Jamie
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
.. Apple can't come close to matching Dell on price.

Is $70 close enough?

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/11/magazines/fortune/New_Intel_24inApple.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2006091112

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A feature-by-feature comparison of the iMac and the Dell shows there's no way one can argue that the iMac costs considerably more than a comparable Windows machine. To upgrade the standard $1,999 24-inch iMac to match the basic specs of Dell XPS 410, we have to add a gigabyte of system memory and the equivalent of a 250GB hard drive, driving the price to $2,374.

To tweak the Dell XPS 410 to match the hardware features of the iMac, we have to spend $2,304. Apple did its own comparison, ignoring the hard disk issue and configuring the XPS 410 to 1GB of system memory, matching the iMac. In that comparison, the iMac is about $200 cheaper than the XPS 410.

I think my comparison is fairer, showing the iMac $70 more expensive than the XPS 410. Is the Mac arguably $70 more valuable? It depends on how much value you place on the iMac's appealing space-saving, one-piece design, on the more advanced and more secure operating system, and on the broad collection of Apple software that comes with the machine.

In my view, the extra $70 represents one of the best bargains in the PC world. I use both Windows and Mac OS machines in my daily work, but the real key now is that I don't have to, because the iMac can run both Windows and the Mac OS.

For those who don't want to read the whole article Wink

greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
Apple can't come close to matching Dell on price.

A baseless statement. Regardless of the disputable hardware cost comparision, consider productivity for a moment. Perhaps your time is not very valuable but mine certainly is. When I think about all of the lost productivity dealing with Windows issues...
Mac OS X has streamlined my computer use, made it more productive and less of an irritant. That in itself is worth quite a bit.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
When I think about all of the lost productivity dealing with Windows issues...

Not to mention all of the lost productivity dealing with Windows supporters.

Razz Wink

Jamie
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

Razz Wink

Jamie
LOL!

But also consider the satisfaction greg's getting.... Smile

SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
greg wrote:
When I think about all of the lost productivity dealing with Windows issues...

Razz Wink

Jamie
Sometimes you can do charity work, but sometimes there are just lost causes.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to see the 24imac yet but I'm wondering how I'll feel about the screen size. I currently have a 20inch cinema display so I'm wondering if it will be a "ah yeah it's a little bigger" or a "SHAZAM!! DAYUM!"
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
I haven't had a chance to see the 24imac yet but I'm wondering how I'll feel about the screen size. I currently have a 20inch cinema display so I'm wondering if it will be a "ah yeah it's a little bigger" or a "SHAZAM!! DAYUM!"
It looks crazy when all three of them are lined up. I seen one at the Apple store yesterday. It is huge, but it looks great. I could definitely see people using that monster.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj wrote:
Someone has tried this with the Macbook Pro and found that it will only take the 1x2GB and 1x1GB combination.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/719000469731/p/1

An interesting read.

I know they're not the same chipset, but something is limiting the previous chipset apparently artificially as the 2GB SODIMM works in either slot. I wouldn't go investing in those expensive 2GB SODIMMs until someone has verified that they work in this new platform.

I can't think of any reason why, if it were able to do so, Apple wouldn't be pushing the "Now with up to 4GB of RAM!" as one of the advantages of the new iMacs.

Perhaps the limitation is to prevent the iMac from competing too heavily with the Mac Pro.

Wow, until I read this I had assumed that "3GB max" meant three DIMM slots with 1GB DIMMs in each, leading one to hope for 3x2GB=6GB RAM. Likewise, I hoped this was a portent of the upcoming Merom MacBooks. 6GB in a laptop might actually start to satisfy basic web browsing and email with CoreData in 10.5.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
sross wrote:
It looks crazy when all three of them are lined up. I seen one at the Apple store yesterday. It is huge, but it looks great. I could definitely see people using that monster.

Cool! I basically want to be able to have two decent sized browser windows open side by side, boy will that make life easier. How did you like the screen? It seems to have the same specs as the cinema display, would you say it's on par with the standalone 23inch cinema or close?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
sross wrote:

Cool! I basically want to be able to have two decent sized browser windows open side by side, boy will that make life easier. How did you like the screen? It seems to have the same specs as the cinema display, would you say it's on par with the standalone 23inch cinema or close?
Yeah, the screen is beautiful. I had two Safari windows running at once. One on the Apple Store and the other on Yahoo... there was still a small space left over. I looked at a few trailers in HD... now only if they made a 30"............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: