123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple to release iTV in Q1 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

I'm guessing they want to use the announcement to put some pressure on someone. Say, a few recalcitrant movie studios?

I think the major reason why Apple previewed the iTV so early was to give movie buyers confidence that some day they will be able to play them on their TV.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Gmac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Gmac wrote:
well if the itv is only able to stream the audio and the video content and offer only a front-row like software to play with that content, you got to plug your mac mini directly in the screen to still be able surfing the net or even see itunes in your living room

the itv in the hdmi and the mini in the vga..if you unplug the mini, you will only get its audio and video files but nothing else...
The main reasoning behind iTV is to share what you have on your computer. If you are going to plug in your Mini to the TV, then why would you need an iTV??? Since you can control everything right there and surf your internet.

The iTV is to let your computer sit somewhere else, let someone else use it, while you watch your TV using iTV.

because I believe itv will be a better decoder for sound and image and I defenitely prefer analog RCA than analog minijack to connect my stereo (without digital input)
ophiacus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Redundant?? Reply with quote

I'm planning to put my Mac Mini in my home entertainment system; I would have no use for this wireless "iTV" device, right? Or am I missing something?
Gmac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Redundant?? Reply with quote

ophiacus wrote:
I'm planning to put my Mac Mini in my home entertainment system; I would have no use for this wireless "iTV" device, right? Or am I missing something?

it depends if your hifi system has or no an optical input...if it's only anoalog, you'll have only a mini-jack-rca option and the mini as decoder..bad choice
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmac wrote:
because I believe itv will be a better decoder for sound and image and I defenitely prefer analog RCA than analog minijack to connect my stereo (without digital input)
I think the iTV will be fine... but for being wireless, it is going to have a buffer. It is a streaming device.. which is not as good as taking it from the source. The Mac mini will look better because it won't be streaming the files... the files would be in the Mini.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Redundant?? Reply with quote

Gmac wrote:
ophiacus wrote:

it depends if your hifi system has or no an optical input...if it's only anoalog, you'll have only a mini-jack-rca option and the mini as decoder..bad choice
But if it does have an optical jack, all you would need is a mini-optical adapter and a regular optical cable.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an optical input, I will run the Mac Mini through my Onkyo Receiver. That brings up another question, I'm going to use an older high def TV (not LCD or DLP), however, it's widescreen and has a DVI input, do you think I'll get acceptable quality from this display?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of TV is it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an RCA Scenium, (I realize it's not a Samsung or Pioneer Elite) but I got a great deal on it. It has a great High-Def picture via the local cable company's High-Def DVR box. I would be more skeptical about this set up if I had to hook it up with component video cables but since it has the DVI input I think (hope) it'll do OK. Interestingly enough, the tv also has a built in progressive scan DVD player.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is a CRT projection TV?
Images and video will look good on the display. I'm just wondering how text would look.

I guess there is only one way to find out....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems as though the streaming will work as it does for the Airport Express for audio. Keep in mind that AirTunes uses rather strong public-key encryption to deter users from not using iTunes to stream audio to the device, and moreover prevents 3rd parties from acting as receivers for streaming from iTunes.

Likewise, it seems that Apple intends to limit what you can send to the iTV to those formats which iTunes/Quicktime supports. This does include "home movies" encoded as MPEG-4 with iMovie, but hardly includes Ogg/Vorbis/Theora or Matroska/AC3/H.264 (as most people are wont to rip their DVD library to). This also means iTunes will enforce Fairplay DRM.

I don't see this as much different than HDCP, which most consumers find repugnant.

I'll stick with a Mac Mini using VideoLAN, EyeTV, and RemoteBuddy, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Redundant?? Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Gmac wrote:
ophiacus wrote:

But if it does have an optical jack, all you would need is a mini-optical adapter and a regular optical cable.

if your stereo is optical..mine has only rca...so 1 i must take a mini jack rca 2 the mini is making the sound

if optical you have a better connection and the stero is making the sound.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:
Why is this so hard for people to understand? ALL IT DOES IS STREAM MEDIA FROM YOUR COMPUTER. PERIOD.

No one yet knows exactly what the final product's capabilities will be, or not be, as the case may be.

Razz

Jamie
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Redundant?? Reply with quote

Gmac wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Gmac wrote:
ophiacus wrote:

if your stereo is optical..mine has only rca...so 1 i must take a mini jack rca 2 the mini is making the sound

if optical you have a better connection and the stero is making the sound.
I'm sorry, I meant that for ophiacus.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iTV looks like it could be great product and using the Mac mini as a HTPC is cool, but I'd really like to see Apple allow us to burn the movies and TV shows we buy to DVD. Seems simple enough!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: