123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
We're not so much putting down the Mac mini itself, than we are the fact they could have put in a Core 2 Duo.

Sorry, I'm a little out of the loop. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple use the Core Duo in the Mac mini and MacBook for the rest of the year. I've read the Core 2 Duo chips might be in tight supply. Plus it looks like Apple has started to differentiate their product lines.
macfox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple is doing this as an marketing exercise, it is not a performance per watt issue or heat issue for putting the conroe or merom core 2 duo in the Mac Mini. It has been reported the merom has 20% more performance for the same amount of power used today.

The reason it is not in there, it is because Apple do not want to cannbalise the sales of iMac Core 2 Duo if consumers can find better value in getting a Core 2 Duo computer at a cheaper price.

So Apple will have to introduce the Core 2 Duo chip to all the other product lines e.g. MacBook, MacBook Pro when the chip has hit mass market and the core 2 duo reaches a palatable price point that it can be easily fit into everyone's budget.
iBookmaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: You won't see me downing it Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised to see so many people down on Apple offering a Core Duo mini for $599. I still think the Mac mini is still one hell of a computer for the money. I have two of them and think they are probably the best Macs I've ever owned.

It is a great computer. I do think the reason Apple didn't put the Core Duo processor in the Minis is to keep the chain of power in desktops:

1 - MacMinis
2 - iMacs
3 - Mac Pros

If they put the Core Duo into the Mini, the mini basically becomes the same power level as the iMac except for graphics and 7200 rpm hard drive. But......it will happen sooner or later. I do agree with Bandit Bill on making the Mini a little bigger to accommodate a 3.5 standard desktop hard drive.
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: not true Reply with quote

macfox wrote:
I think Apple is doing this as an marketing exercise, it is not a performance per watt issue or heat issue for putting the conroe or merom core 2 duo in the Mac Mini.

This is not true. All of the Core 2 Duo processors are "T" class, twice the power consumption of the "L" class processors used in the Mini. The processor cannot be upgraded to a Core 2 Duo without significant redesign of the Mini. "T" processors have been put in the Mini without apparant harm because the processor chip contains a thermal sensor to allow the system to protect the processor (and the rest of the system) from overheating.

My opinion is that engineering is best left to engineers.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: not true Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:

Agreed, Intel has already stated there will be lower power Core 2 Duo chips next year, and the Core 2 Duo barely makes up 20% of their current production capacity today. That will change next year and by med year I'll bet we see Core 2 Duo across the entire Apple line.

Until then, the current Core Duo minis still rock and will get even better with Leopard and Univesal Binaries of the major apps.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
magbarn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: not true Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
macfox wrote:
I think Apple is doing this as an marketing exercise, it is not a performance per watt issue or heat issue for putting the conroe or merom core 2 duo in the Mac Mini.

This is not true. All of the Core 2 Duo processors are "T" class, twice the power consumption of the "L" class processors used in the Mini. The processor cannot be upgraded to a Core 2 Duo without significant redesign of the Mini. "T" processors have been put in the Mini without apparant harm because the processor chip contains a thermal sensor to allow the system to protect the processor (and the rest of the system) from overheating.

Where are you getting this info from? I just bought a 1.66 $599 mac mini core duo from the apple store yesterday and after popping the hood it had a regular run-of-the-mill T2300 1.66 CPU, it was not a low-voltage L series. I even popped it into my Dell E1405 laptop and it runs on a regular 1.2625 Voltage at highest speed. Maybe the first run of intel mini's were L-series?
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: not true Reply with quote

magbarn wrote:
Where are you getting this info from? I just bought a 1.66 $599 mac mini core duo from the apple store yesterday and after popping the hood it had a regular run-of-the-mill T2300 1.66 CPU, it was not a low-voltage L series.

OK, if that's the way it came, I stand corrected.
andyj34@yahoo.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: MAC MINI upgrade Reply with quote

I think everyone focusing on the MAC MINI upgrade purely in terms of speed and not what the MAC MINI is about.

The MAC MINI is a computer for users who aren't interest in top of the line hardware who simply want to use their computer for varied purposes which doesn't require the processing power of a NASA computer.

I own a MAC MINI G4 1.42 1gb RAM with Superdrive which I mainly use for Internet browsing, home accounts, watching DVDs, managing my IPOD music collection and digital photo management. The MAC MINI does this superbly and the speed is more than adequate even for a G4. Mind you the 1gb RAM does help!

Additionally, this is my first MAC which has totally transformed my experience of using computers at home. At the office I use Windows XP but at home I use the MAC. My next computer purchase will definitely be a MAC mainly in part due to the good experience of owning a MAC MINI.

One of the bonues of the MAC MINI of being a closed system is that I do not need to worry about purchasing an upgrade every three months like my PC brethen.

Perhaps when OS X Leopard is launched I might be tempted/coerced in buying a MAC MINI upgrade but until then I'm happy with my lot.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: MAC MINI upgrade Reply with quote

andyj34 wrote:
Perhaps when OS X Leopard is launched I might be tempted/coerced in buying a MAC MINI upgrade but until then I'm happy with my lot.

Or perhaps you could just buy Leopard for the Mini, that's what I did for my Panther-to-Tiger iBook.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
bucs79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Upgrading the Mini Reply with quote

I have been waiting for Mac to upgrade the Mini until I purchased.

I will be using the Mini as a Music/Photo and in the future video server and it will probably be headless with about 1.6 Tb of external storage hooked up to it.

I am looking at the low end Mini but I would REALLY like a superdrive (my iMac superdrive doesn't work properly) and will want to upgrade to the next version of OSX when it comes out.

My question is:

Can I buy a Superdrive and pop it into the mini? or are there architectural obstacles which make running a superdrive on the low end mini a problem?

I'm guessing there aren't since the low end Mini with the new update LOOKS like the high end before the update with the exception of the superdrive.

Also, do you think the new mini will have enough nads for the new OS version?

I'll be upgrading my G5 iMac at the same time assuming that it runs on G5s.......

Any help would be appreciated.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Mini Reply with quote

bucs79 wrote:
Can I buy a Superdrive and pop it into the mini? or are there architectural obstacles which make running a superdrive on the low end mini a problem?

You can simply replace the existing drive with a Superdrive, but if your iMac drive is faulty why not get an external fw one that you could move between the two?

... and welcome to the forums!

SodaPop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard about the new 1.66ghz and 1.83ghz Mac minis having a newly designed AirPort antenna? I've been somewhat disappointed with my 1.66ghz Mac mini. I might trade up if they have been improved.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken it up with Apple? I can't see any point in spending more money when you should be able to get this one fixed.

SodaPop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
Have you taken it up with Apple? I can't see any point in spending more money when you should be able to get this one fixed.

I thought it might be better to trade up (meaning sell this one and buy another) if they've been improved the antenna from a technical standpoint. I've already contacted Apple about the dropouts I experience on a daily basis, but no solid answer or support was given. I even brought it into an Apple Store and had them take a look at it. They said it checked out fine and recommended changing the location of my router. That is really out of the question since it resides on the other side of my house.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt they've changed the antenna design. I used to read a lot of these reports on MacInTouch back in the Spring why not look there to see if there's a fix?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: