123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameshughesuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Mail Reply with quote

Sorry for such a mundane question..... just hoping someone could tell me if it is possible to password protect my mail programme or at least the action of downloading mail from my web based account?

Thanks!
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There 2 things that you can do the first is to go to the System Preferences if you haven't already and set up your accounts to allow different users to login. You should create at least 2 accounts for yourself. I have one that is called Admin that I only use to trouble shoot and I keep that one clear of all junk. The other is my main account that I use everyday. Once you have done that click on security. Under security you will see an option called "Require password to wake computer from sleep or screensaver" choose this option and It will prevent anyone from using the computer or seeing your accounts.

The second option is to change to an incorrect password or eliminate the password in Mail for the email account that you want to secure. Then everytime Mail trys to connect to the server the server will reject the attempt and Mail will ask you to re-enter the correct password before it will retrieve the email on the server.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jameshughesuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
bunu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to have junk mail sent straight to the deleted folder?
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunu wrote:

If you go to the Mail preferences and click on the Junk Mail tab there is a radio button that says "Perform custom actions", click that then go to the Advanced button at the bottom. Once open look down to where it says "Perform the following actions:" and change the drop down menu item from Junk to Trash. That will move your junk mail to the Mail programs Trash!

Rememeber that you need to empty the Trash in Mail from time to time as it does not get emptied with the main Trash on the computer!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bunu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
bunu wrote:

If you go to the Mail preferences and click on the Junk Mail tab there is a radio button that says "Perform custom actions", click that then go to the Advanced button at the bottom. Once open look down to where it says "Perform the following actions:" and change the drop down menu item from Junk to Trash. That will move your junk mail to the Mail programs Trash!

Rememeber that you need to empty the Trash in Mail from time to time as it does not get emptied with the main Trash on the computer!

Thanks! I failed to see the Junk tab on my own. Embarassed I selected When Junk Mail Arrives: Move it to the Junk Mail box (Automatic).. Guess I'm still a little overwhelmed with OS X.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it! I have been using Macs for a long time and I still seem to find and learn new things all the time. Wink Part of the fun!!!
jameshughesuk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Mail the best programme to use. Before I have always used Outlook on a PC and before I started getting used to Mail if anyone would recomend something else?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mail 2 is pretty hard to beat. You could try Thunderbird, but you'll probably end up coming back to Mail 2.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Thunderbird on Windows and it is pretty good, but I must say that Mail is just a bit better in a few important ways.

I use a large number of folders to sort my mail as it arrives, and in Thunderbird I had created a number of filters to sort the mail accordingly.

When I switched to Mail I found that as I created each filter, called Rules in Mail, the program wisely offered to allow me to run the newly created Rule as I saved it.

I find that there are these subtle little touches of excellence throughout all of OS X, and it speaks to me of careful, well thought out user interface design.

I was also very pleased at how trivial it was to import my email from Thunderbird on my Winders box into Mail.

It just works, and I like that.

Ranter

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: