123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
Is it a tweaked Mini or a special edition with a 2.16 GHz Core duo?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180024465379&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:UK:11

Definitely tweaked, and I can't see how one would be able to use the warranty on it unless the Merom processor was changed back to the original. However, I am definitely thinking along these lines, buying a new low model mini and later upgrading the processor. At present, the good deal in boxed processors is the 2.0 GHz Merom (T7200), which can be had for $CDN 380 (about $420US) from NCIX. And that should come down a lot in the next few months.
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
You are not getting the point.

We're just making different points.

If my needs are met by a Ford Focus, loading it up to compare with a Cadillac isn't logical. If I need a Cadillac-class car, then loading the Focus to try to match DOES make sense.

My needs ARE met quite nicely by a base config Mini. Not everyone's will.

So, for ME, comparing a Mini base config to an iMac base config is logical, but that's not the case for everyone. My math says $599 is better than $999.

When I someday replace my PowerMac, I'll probably be looking at a non-base config, but probably not an iMac even then since I already have a nice LCD, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Eldred on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: no choices? Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Because on the entry level Mac Mini you don't have an option of BTO'ing a Superdrive with the system. If you want a Superdrive from Apple, you have to spring for the 1.83 model. And if you want the 1.83 model but not the Superdrive, well you can't pick a Combo drive.

That's a good point. In one sense choice has been reduced because of elimination of the BTO for the Superdrive. Nevertheless, a lot of people are going to like the base model of the Mini just the way it is, and would not like to have to pay $100 more for an included DVD writer. The price point for an entry level model is an important figure which I'm sure Apple watches very carefully.
Copernicus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I think these upgrades just reaffirm the value of the iMac over the Mini.
I know a lot of people don't like the built-in display, hell I don't either.
But with the value you get with that machine compared to the Mac mini... well I'm starting to look at the new iMacs....

I guess it's rather selfish of me, but I'm grateful that Apple has managed to keep the Mini the way it is -- tiny, cool-running, and absolutely silent. Adding big, power-sucking processors and fan-cooled graphics cards would destroy the very reason I bought my Minis.

When I want to play a high-end computer game, I'm willing to fire up my big, loud, space-heater of a PC for a while. Other than that, though, my Minis have been plenty powerful enough to handle everything I've thrown at them.

I'll only be happy with Apple cramming more high-end electronics into these little boxes if it doesn't involve changing their form-factor or introducing bigger fans and heat-sinks...
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: no choices? Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
The price point for an entry level model is an important figure which I'm sure Apple watches very carefully.

You sir, you get it, if I had a cookie it would be yours.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug_Eldred wrote:
We're just making different points.

If my needs are met by a Ford Focus, loading it up to compare with a Cadillac isn't logical. If I need a Cadillac-class car, then loading the Focus to try to match DOES make sense.
Now it is not "logical" to bring cars into this. Are we talking about Fords and Cadillacs? No, so get that comparison out of there.

The point I'm making..... Is that hardware wise, it is hard to compare a computer that has everything but one difference between them (internal component wise). That is why when benchmarking or making other comparisons, it is VERY logical to make them as technically comparable as possible. I don't see how a Mac mini with a 60GB HD is anywhere near an iMac with 160GB. This is ESPECIALLY true when the only difference IS THE HARD DRIVE. Just about everything else is the same, RAM, graphics and disc drive.
I'm also not talking about "your needs", but as in a comparison BETWEEN THE HARDWARE. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sure you can base all of your points on price. Which price is true. But to compare them like that is not "logical" from a technical standpoint.

BTW, you can't fit half the Cadillac's crap into a Focus. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing most of you dont understand is that the majority of people who bu ya mac mini are not like us. WERE ON A FORRUM. The vast majority of folks have no need for a dvd burner (i personally don't either) and most people have no problem with a 60 gb hard drive. neither of my parents have gotten halfway through their 40gb drives. I'm quite content with the fact that i can now get a dual core mack for 600 US
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghris wrote:
The thing most of you dont understand is that the majority of people who bu ya mac mini are not like us. WERE ON A FORRUM. The vast majority of folks have no need for a dvd burner (i personally don't either) and most people have no problem with a 60 gb hard drive. neither of my parents have gotten halfway through their 40gb drives. I'm quite content with the fact that i can now get a dual core mack for 600 US

I concur. It's pretty clear from reading the posts in this thread that Apple has done a reasonable thing in revising the Mini only to accomodate the new processor and disk drive options. There is still an opportunity for Apple to introduce a new system between the Mini and the Mac Pro. Let's wait a few days first to see what is announced.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been at work all day and I'm now just reading this thread....It's great that this litte crate of plastic and metal has brought us all together.....I love each and every one of you Smile It's good to get fired up every now and then.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I've been at work all day and I'm now just reading this thread....It's great that this litte crate of plastic and metal has brought us all together.....I love each and every one of you Smile It's good to get fired up every now and then.
That is funny coming from Tony Montana Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ... is that your little friend in your avatar? Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to know why Apple did not give a price drop despite the lowered prices of the chips?

Well, the very first minis had a slim profit margin. When they switched to intel, it was even lower... now is their chance of maximising profits, as well as distinguishing the difference between the 'low' end consumer products (mac mini, macbook) and the 'higher' end consumer (imac, macbook pro)

www.opensourceresistance.net

www.123macbook.com
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake wrote:
Do you want to know why Apple did not give a price drop despite the lowered prices of the chips?

Well, the very first minis had a slim profit margin. When they switched to intel, it was even lower... now is their chance of maximising profits, as well as distinguishing the difference between the 'low' end consumer products (mac mini, macbook) and the 'higher' end consumer (imac, macbook pro)
Actually, it was calculated that the first PPC Mac minis had a total of under $300 worth of hardware in the $500 Mac mini. And a total of $380 for the higher up unit. That is including manufacturing. Yet it doesn't cover all the including software, marketing and packaging/shipping. But the latter part only adds a $10-20 to the total price per unit. So without the software, make it an even $300.
http://news.com.com/Dissecting+the+core+of+Apples+Mac+Mini/2100-1042_3-5837265.html

It's OK though, the Brits and Aussie's flip the bill for us Yanks.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that info I'd say we're getting a Helluva deal from Apple! Good link.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
It's OK though, the Brits and Aussie's flip the bill for us Yanks.

.. you said it! Wink

The 24" iMac is $2565 in the UK store.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
cmegens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: memory Reply with quote

Tuishimi wrote:
cmegens wrote:
Has anybody noticed that the memory upgrade has become cheaper? And has anybody noticed that apple left out the SO-Dimm information? Do you guys think they just left it out on the website, and will there be the SO-dimms in there as we are used too, or could they have changed to normal memory?

Did not notice. That's interesting.

Yeah it made me wondering too. With the old Intel Mac Mini's it was clearly stated on the website that it used SO-Dimm memory banks. However on the specs site of the New Intel Mac Mini they just mention DDR2-SDRAM. So who is going to be the first to open up that plastic case of the new Mini? Please post pictures for us!

And second of all, there are a lot of comments here and on other forums of people that just state they will update the processor themselves to a Merom Core 2 Duo. As I found out on the web the build in processor is not soldered on the motherboard, so is it possible to just flip in this new processor? Will the Mac automatically adapt it's settings for this processor? I'm not thinking of updating very soon, but it might be a good upgrade for the time when Leopard is released...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: