123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
Agreed! What a disappointing Mac mini refresh. They should have gone with the Core 2 or at least lowered the price or something.

I was expecting either of these (Core 2 or lower price). Strange to see a simple Solo-to-Duo and clock speed upgrades...

Would have been nice to see black anodized as well. Wink
I agree.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these upgrades just reaffirm the value of the iMac over the Mini.
I know a lot of people don't like the built-in display, hell I don't either.
But with the value you get with that machine compared to the Mac mini... well I'm starting to look at the new iMacs....

The main thing is, the iMac has Core 2 Duo and the Mini does not.

Let me see here.
A 1.83GHz Core Duo Mac mini , w/ 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, 23" HD Apple display, keyboard/mighty mouse, iSight, integrated video card maxed at 64MB....$2,300.99

A 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac 24" HD built-in display, w/ 250GB HD, 1GB RAM, keyboard/mighty mouse, built-in iSight, AN ACTUAL VIDEO CARD w/ 128MB...$1,999.

Or BETTER YET..
A 1.83GHz Core Duo Mac mini , w/ 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, 20" Apple display, keyboard/mighty mouse, iSight, integrated video card maxed at 64MB....$2,000.99

A 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac 20" built-in display, w/ 250GB HD, 1GB RAM, keyboard/mighty mouse, built-in iSight, AN ACTUAL VIDEO CARD w/ 128MB...$1,499

+++++++++++++++++++++
That makes the 20" iMac an even better value with a difference of $501.99; not that the 24" iMac isn't bad either with $301.99 in difference.

Of course that is if you are using same size Apple displays and including the iSights. You can get displays from other companies and skip the iSight.
But I'm just saying... for what you pay for, you are getting a lot on a iMac.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Where's the 123iMac.com now? Laughing
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, if you're starting out from scratch and trying to build a Mini that compares with a Maxi iMac then the iMac is probably the right answer. But if you already have a display, keyboard and mouse, either have or don't care about an iSight, etc., then the Mac Mini is about 60% the cost of the ENTRY level iMac, or less than 30% the cost of the high-end iMac.

It all depends on what you need (or seriously want), what you already have, what compromises you're willing to make, etc. For a lot of people - switchers, people looking for a second or third computer, people looking for a media center computer who already have their "main" computer - the Mini is an attractive option. If I'm looking for a media Mac to work with an HDTV, the last thing I want is a huge LCD monitor on an iMac!

Same thing on those who didn't like Wednesday's bumps - most of them are looking for something more than a basic Mac, and probably are better candidates for an iMac, a MacBook (basic or Pro), or even a Mac Pro. I suppose people thought Apple was cheap for not making a G5 Mini, too?

Doug
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: no choices? Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
To even sell an entry level home computer with out a DVD writer at this point in the game is....dumb.

You want to force me to buy a DVD writer when I buy a new computer, even though I don't want one? Why? What's wrong with having choices?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug_Eldred wrote:
Well, yeah, if you're starting out from scratch and trying to build a Mini that compares with a Maxi iMac then the iMac is probably the right answer. But if you already have a display, keyboard and mouse, either have or don't care about an iSight, etc., then the Mac Mini is about 60% the cost of the ENTRY level iMac, or less than 30% the cost of the high-end iMac.

It all depends on what you need (or seriously want), what you already have, what compromises you're willing to make, etc. For a lot of people - switchers, people looking for a second or third computer, people looking for a media center computer who already have their "main" computer - the Mini is an attractive option.

Same thing on those who didn't like Wednesday's bumps - most of them are looking for something more than a basic Mac, and probably are better candidates for a iMac, a MacBook (basic or Pro), or even a Mac Pro. I suppose people thought Apple was cheap for not making a G5 Mini, too?

Doug
G5 Mini.... Laughing
The cooling for that thing would take up almost half of the Mini.

Yeah the entry level Mac mini vs the entry level iMac. But to make them slightly comparable, you have to upgrade the Mini closer to iMac specs. You can't just compare them on a stock to stock basis. There is a big difference in what you get in both stock forms. So to upgrade the Mac mini to the biggest hard drive... 160GB. That makes the entry Mac mini $849.
Then you have 160GB vs 160GB, 512MB vs 512MB, integrated vs integrated, Combo vs Combo, etc.
What is the difference between the two? $150.
What do you get for $150... a 17" widescreen LCD, keyboard/mighty mouse, hell even a iSight (which costs $150 itself).

But if you paid attention to what I said.. What I'm really saying is that you are getting a lot for what you pay for on the iMac. I said that is if you are including the appropriate Apple displays and iSights.

I agree with you on the "building from scratch vs have accessories already" deal.

In any case though, there is a reason why the iMacs outsell the Mac minis. And that reason is... well they just want the convenience of the iMac over the Mini. I have accessories myself but I'd rather get an Intel iMac as my primary computer. If I was to get a new Mac Mini it would be my main computer and I would have to get new accessories for it. Mainly because if I'm getting something new, why not get new stuff for my new machine? I think this is how a lot of people think. The average PC user doesn't usually reuse their monitors, they usually buy a new whole PC package with all new stuff. So that is what most people are accustomed to.
Then there is the argument of taking your old display and extending your desktop on the iMac. If you love your keyboard/mouse that much more than the Apple ones... well bring em over to the iMac.

iSight... well some people say it is a gimmick, but once you play around with it, even for Photo Booth... I miss it when I don't have it.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: no choices? Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:
To even sell an entry level home computer with out a DVD writer at this point in the game is....dumb.

You want to force me to buy a DVD writer when I buy a new computer, even though I don't want one? Why? What's wrong with having choices?
Because on the entry level Mac Mini you don't have an option of BTO'ing a Superdrive with the system. If you want a Superdrive from Apple, you have to spring for the 1.83 model. And if you want the 1.83 model but not the Superdrive, well you can't pick a Combo drive.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some people the Mini base config is fine, so loading it up to compare with the iMac isn't logical. For those who DO need the more robust iMac configuration, an iMac is probably logical, unless there's a middle ground where the upgraded Mini is significantly less, or otherwise better than, an iMac for that individual.

If I didn't already have an LCD monitor, I might be interested in the iMac when I upgrade my PowerMac someday. I originally bought the G5 iMac when it first came out, but after 2.5 iMacs I couldn't get one that didn't have a high-pitched whine when the CPU was busy, so I replaced it with a PowerMac, hence the 20" cinema monitor. But since I do have it, a Mini might make sense, especially by the time I do such an upgrade. I'm largely a consumer, not a prosumer, depending on prices.

For a media center Mac I'm definitely not going to get an iMac.

Doug
Quantum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a tweaked Mini or a special edition with a 2.16 GHz Core duo?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180024465379&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:UK:11
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug_Eldred wrote:
For a media center Mac I'm definitely not going to get an iMac.

Doug

Nothing like watching movies on a 17" screen! Rolling Eyes
iLife's a Bitch!
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See question 2 on the auction page.

Doug
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: souped up Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
Is it a tweaked Mini or a special edition with a 2.16 GHz Core duo?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180024465379&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:UK:11

It's been souped up.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the Mac mini makes great sense, but obviously not for eveyrone. I already had a nice display, keyboard and mouse. My day to day computing needs are somewhat modest, but I do enjoy snappy performance so I will spend a little more for some features. Day to day...

-Web surfing/iChat/Mail/Video Chat
-iTunes, decent sized library (13.6GB)
-Light programming and scripting for work
-A little remote adminstration to the office on occaission
-A light mix of iLife apps, mostly iPhoto and iWeb, after the yearly vacation trip some iMovie for about 2 weeks
-A little PhotoShop (come on UB, soon please)
-Moderate DVD burning

Not one of those task can't be handled well on a dual core mini. If I didn't have a decent display the iMac would make great sense, and with my wife using my old display and now wanting a Mac I will most likely get her an iMac (as the investment in her peripherals is far less than mine). But if she had a comparable monitor I would put her in a mini in a heart beat.

That said, I think for the first time in a while the whole Apple line makes great sense, not a loser in the bunch and a product and price to meet every need. I'd like to rationalize a Mac Pro for myself, but it would take a major switch in career path to justify that kind of expense.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug_Eldred wrote:
For some people the Mini base config is fine, so loading it up to compare with the iMac isn't logical.
You are not getting the point. To compare the two, you need more comparable specs. It just happens to work out this way, as everything is comparable. Hard drive space is the same, same amount of RAM, integrated graphics card and a Combo Drive. So there is no way to compare a 60GB hard drive against a 160GB hard drive. 60GB is barely enough. There is a reason why so many people come here asking how to free up hard drive space on their 60GB Mac mini.

60GB=160GB? I don't know what you are smoking. Rolling Eyes
Even if it is different size hard drives, 2.5" vs 3.5". It is not about that, but about the amount of storage. 160GB vs 160GB.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if Apple puts a nuclear powered 8-core chip in the iMac, it still looks like a glossy white toilet seat with a HUGE rim. Girls might like the looks of it, but get real guys. I would rather have a Merom powered headless Mac of some kind. Preferably in silver, like the Merom Mac mini I was hoping to buy yesterday. So hurry up Apple my credit card is still warm!
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacWaffler wrote:
You really aren't reading replies, you are siezing on one or two details and then racing to post rebuttals.

[Trolls frequently do Wink ] Very well put.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: