123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want a MacBook.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Stamatiou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: I want a MacBook. Reply with quote

Which is a shame because my Mac Mini is only a few months old.

Just an idea.. but is anyone interested in an iMM with a 1.83GHz core duo as swapped by me. O_o

I would talk more but i've already ranted about the macbook here
SFBags Sleevecase
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw one in the flesh yesterday next to a Pro. I'm contemplating a refurb Macbook Pro now instead of a Macbook I'm sure the resale if necessary will be higher.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: I prefer them Reply with quote

I like the MacBooks since they fit me better, and I'm no power user at all. I won't care about HDD, since I'm building a PC that will use a HDD for a NAS.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a white 2.0GHz MacBook with 2GB of RAM and love it. The keyboard took a little time to get used to, but the rest rocks. Now, I'm trying to sell my G4 Mac mini to a friend to raise some money for an Intel Mac mini.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one in the store, side by side with a MBP 15". The store had recessed canned lighting in the ceiling, and with the MB screen tilted back so its LCD panel was perpendicular to my line of sight there were a minimum of six lights glaring on the screen no matter how I adjusted it. This wasn't a problem with the matte screen on the MBP. Given how often I use a notebook outdoors, that would definitely be a problem.

The other issue was the sharp front edge on the wrist rest. I think I'd have to take a block plane to it to knock some of that off.

As usual, YMMV.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
I saw one in the store, side by side with a MBP 15". The store had recessed canned lighting in the ceiling, and with the MB screen tilted back so its LCD panel was perpendicular to my line of sight there were a minimum of six lights glaring on the screen no matter how I adjusted it. This wasn't a problem with the matte screen on the MBP. Given how often I use a notebook outdoors, that would definitely be a problem.

After posting I suddenly realised that the store I was in had very effective bright indirect lighting so I wasn't aware of any great reflectiveness.

iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a MacBook. Reply with quote

Paul Stamatiou wrote:
Which is a shame because my Mac Mini is only a few months old.

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you. Smile (if only the MacBooks had the matte finish available) <sigh>
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zuzu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a black MacBook as soon as:

1.) GPU upgraded to something which can handle 10.5, which will finish the "Quartz Extreme" code meant for 10.4; namely, vector-based (scaling) GUI (no more rasters except photos and videos, which will be scaled as "CSS pixels"). The Intel GPU in the MacBooks and Minis are pathetic for this, and even the current Pro lines lack the horsepower for it. Apple will have to update their laptop lines at least a month before 10.5 is released (December/January).

2.) At least 4GB as RAM ceiling. I'm hoping this is a RAM provider issue more than a limitation of the current MacBook motherboards.

3.) Merom (64-bit) as multi-core CPU.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I will only by a MacBook if

1. Merom 64 Bit chip
2. Better graphics card, starting point ATI 1600
3. surface resistant to discoloration
4. standard DVD burner across all the range.
ducko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
Saw one in the flesh yesterday next to a Pro. I'm contemplating a refurb Macbook Pro now instead of a Macbook I'm sure the resale if necessary will be higher.

Apple Store UK has some good offers on refurb Macbooks and MBP's. Personally I prefer the look of the MB, but I think I'd need the MBP just for the Graphics card and to <ahem> run Vista when it ships....
Mac Mini 1.83, 2GB Ram, 160GB Drive,Iomega 250GB Drive, 22" Mirai TFT,Apple Wireless KB and Mouse,80GB Video iPod (Black),4GB iPod Nano (Black)
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get a MacBook when Leopard ships, I don't really need one but toys are toys Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: