123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini updates soon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corsabrin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I certainly hope so. One thing I DO KNOW... the longer this goes on, the longer it will be before Apple gets any of my $$$. C'mon, Apple, upgrade already.

I have been looking to switch to the mac for a few months now. I am in no hurry as I have two PC's that still work but are showing their age. I am a little disappointed that the mini was not updated today. I will wait until the end of September and if the mini is not updated I will just wait until Leopard comes out next year and I will switch at that time.

I am more than willing to give Apple my money, but their current mini line up is not compelling me to open my wallet.
Texark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Apple comes out with a media center Mac, it doesn't make sense for them to ignore the Mac mini at this showtime event on the 12th. I mean what other Mac would is better suited for a movie store than the Mac mini? Ok, maybe the Mac Pro, but it's the size of a tank and doesn't come with Front Row. Sure the iMac has more buiit-in storage, but who really wants to watch movies on a 17", 20" or even 23" screen. It might be good enough for a small bedroom, but are you really going to invite the friends over to watch some iMac. Rolling Eyes I also think it would be cool for Apple came out with an Airport Express device for video. I could see that being a huge hit.
agfrg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve jobs surprised every one when he used the iMac Intel and the people only knew at the end. Will he use a new mini to demonstrate te iTunes Movies Store, an reveil at the end that the mini has a merom and it's shipping that day? We have to wait and I'm waiting too much time ...
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno guys, I'm still betting on a small speed bump and no more Core Solo, I'll bet that if the iMac 23" is real that will be the star of the store to showcase HD content on the movie store.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
The Vespa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm a first timer here. I do not have a Mac though I plan to get one very shortly. In my opinion, which is uninformed, I think Mac will not do anything dramatic to the mini, except possibly bump the core solo and maybe have two models 1.8 and 2.0 core duos.

To me it doesnt make Mac sense to upgrade them too much because they are afterall entry level and therefore not in competition with the imac.

Here in Australia, the mini, which is what I plan to buy soon is expensive, they start at $999 for tthe solo and the core duo is $1200 + in their basic configurations. Now that is expensive, considering I can build a pretty speedy PC for around the $1200 mark.

I know I'm not comparing apples with apples here, but I think Mac needs to look at their prices more closely and provide better competition.

ATM I'm waiting to see if the mini is speced up, if not I may go for a run out 17 inch imac, but I kinda like the mini.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple is expensive in comparison to PCs in every market it sells in not only Oz. That's why for many buying a Mac is a leap of faith. I intended to buy a Mini but ended up with the iMac as I got it at a great price (in effect the monitor cost very little is the way I looked at it).

If there's a significant speed/performance hike I may u/g the iMac but having just taken delivery of a 19" widescreen to replace a 17" 4:3 extended desktop monitor I don't need to hurry.

Then there's the MacBook I covet but that can wait for Leopard....

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother

Last edited by Tenex on Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
The Vespa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
Apple is expensive in comparison to PCs in every market it sells in not only Oz. ....

I hear what you saying, but when I first saw the mini I saw it started from $599 and thought WOW, unfortunately I was looking at the US site not the Aussie site.

For me the switch is just because it makes more sense, I can have OSX or run bootcamp and revert back to XP. This is great flexibility and a huge selling point. But in te end it is a leap of faith.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
Apple is expensive in comparison to PCs in every market it sells in not only Oz. That's why for many buying a Mac is a leap of faith. I intended to buy a Mini but ended up with the iMac as I got it at a great price (in effect the monitor cost very little is the way I looked at it).

If there's a significant speed/performance hike I may u/g the iMac but having just taken delivery of a 19" widescreen to replace a 17" 4:3 extended desktop monitor I don't need to hurry.

Then there's the MacBook I covet but that can wait for Leopard....

The Mac mini is only expensive when compared to HP or Dell's mass produced mid-towers. If you make an accurate comparison between the Mac mini Core Duo versus the HP S7500y and the Dell XPS 200 the Mac blows them away with overall value. The HP will come in cheaper but has a Mobile (single core) Celeron CPU and no DVD burner by default, the XPS 200 is still shipping with the Pentium D and comes in more expensive in any configuration. When you break it down the Mac mini Core Solo kills the HP S7500y and the Mac mini Core Duo wipes the floor with the Dell XPS 200.

When Apple looks at the market it is likely they compare the mini to those PCs, and from that viewpoint the current Mac mini line up is still a better value with wireless and bluetooth standard, OS X, iLife and the smallest for factor of the bunch. Not to grind on the same cliche', but we should compare apples to Apples.

Juan Ker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apple needs to bring out a front row pro with support for all the major video and sound formats including hdtv streams
tommymeggs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Macmini Reply with quote

Hi all, I too am new to this forum. I do not know if any of you remember the the old Apple Computer, the 2E. That was the last computer I had from Apple. At that time there was little software outside of what Apple made. That is what made me change. I saw all the software for a PC and very few for the Apple. Now I am trying to edge back to Apple, slowly though. That is why I am think about the Macmini. But, I would like to get the latest version of it that is why I am waiting to see if it is upgraded. I also understand that it is difficult to get a 1.66 mini at this time anyway!

I noticed that the mini has available many adapter for a monitor. Does the mini have a monitor connection that is not standard. I am pleaning on using a Viewsonic lcd monitor with the mini. Do I need an adapter or is it industry standard?

Thanks all, watching this string closely.
tm
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Macmini Reply with quote

tommymeggs wrote:
Hi all, I too am new to this forum. I do not know if any of you remember the the old Apple Computer, the 2E. That was the last computer I had from Apple. At that time there was little software outside of what Apple made. That is what made me change. I saw all the software for a PC and very few for the Apple. Now I am trying to edge back to Apple, slowly though. That is why I am think about the Macmini. But, I would like to get the latest version of it that is why I am waiting to see if it is upgraded. I also understand that it is difficult to get a 1.66 mini at this time anyway!

I noticed that the mini has available many adapter for a monitor. Does the mini have a monitor connection that is not standard. I am pleaning on using a Viewsonic lcd monitor with the mini. Do I need an adapter or is it industry standard?

tm

The mini has a standard DVI connector and includes a VGA/D-Sub adapter.

Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacWaffler wrote:
The Mac mini is only expensive when compared to HP or Dell's mass produced mid-towers. If you make an accurate comparison between the Mac mini Core Duo versus the HP S7500y and the Dell XPS 200 the Mac blows them away with overall value.
I haven't a clue what you're talking about because aside from the first PC I bought that ran Win3.1 I have spec'd and built every other PC I've owned. I have no idea what those offerings are and only in a corporate context where I/one specs a need for a PC and the IT dept fills it have I ever come across mass produced boxes (with nasty cheap innards).

I spend my own money on home computing and I decide what to buy. Macs are expensive. You don't have to convert me I love the platform and will likely stay here (and yes they have a great software bundle) but since the Intel switch and Apple's decision not to port Appleworks it's a pretty poor situation when a newbie, who comes via an iPod and doesn't have a huge amount of knowledge or interest in what's in the box, can't switch on his Mini or iMac etc and write a quick letter. It's not good enough that NeoOffice exists, Apple should produce their own AppleWorks for the Intel era. For the price they are very good but not perfect.

I think however much a new user enjoys the experience, it's only a few months later that they savour and truly value their purchase.

YMMV Wink

Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Macmini Reply with quote

tommymeggs wrote:

tm
The Mini has a DVI port and ships with an adapter that allows you to connect a VGA (D-Sub) connection monitor to it. You shouldn't have a problem with any monitor you choose, but if you have a choice get a DVI one.

DVI is where we'll all be in a couple of years time VGA is a legacy product. I have an extended desktop on a 17" 4:3 VGA connected monitor while my new 19" widescreen awaits a mini-DVI cable .... and the tension is getting to me Wink

Welcome aboard!

Bachiano

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: check the apple store Reply with quote

update mac mini
corsabrin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the mini got upgraded this morning. No more Core Solo, but also no Core 2 Duo. It also looks like upgrading the memory got cheaper as well though the base system prices remain the same.

The 17" imac now starts at $999 which make it much more attractive option (for me at least).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: