123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eSATA? likely to be implemented in a Mac?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: eSATA? likely to be implemented in a Mac? Reply with quote

As title, sounds pretty hot as far as far as speed goes and there are some fairly cheap (ie. affordable for home users) NAS around, is it likely to be adopted by Apple? Would make fw800 look slow!

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the chances are it would undercut FW800 peripherals so won't be?

247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: PCI Express Reply with quote

The Mac Pro and XServe have PCI Express slots, so you should be able to add it if you want it.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: PCI Express Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
The Mac Pro and XServe have PCI Express slots, so you should be able to add it if you want it.

A little too expensive for my tastes! I was thinking of maybe seeing an iMac with such an interface.

247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: PCI Express Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
247 Photography wrote:

A little too expensive for my tastes! I was thinking of maybe seeing an iMac with such an interface.

I wouldn't expect to see it in a low end Mac, but I'm a little surprised it isn't in the new XServe already.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PCI Express Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
I wouldn't expect to see it in a low end Mac, but I'm a little surprised it isn't in the new XServe already.

Curious isn't it, on a PC the ready availability of slots means that even low spec models can take up these improvements. I'm only interested because the Thecus enclosures have it.

247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: PCI Express Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
... the ready availability of slots ...

The slotless design originated with the very first Mac, and I think it's the right approach for most systems.
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: PCI Express Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
Tenex wrote:
... the ready availability of slots ...

The slotless design originated with the very first Mac, and I think it's the right approach for most systems.

I'm inclined to agree. For a couple of reasons, this makes good sense for both Apple and it's loyalists. To begin with, it ensures that every two to three years, Mac users start pining for a new, much faster system than the one they bought before, and keeps hardware sales going. Apple wouldn't be Apple if they didn't build their hardware, and they're the only consumer level computer company that builds the entire ticket; both the machine and the system it runs.

Secondly, it also ensures that consumers don't hang on to an aging system long enough for it to become a detriment, or money pit. I people bring in 10 year old PCs who think they can still drop in a few cards for whatever they need, and their machine will be fine. Now, in essence, this is true, but its not a realistic expectation for 10 year old hardware to support new perephirals. When the performance is then subpar of what they expect, they blame the device, not the computer. It also keeps people who don't understand the importance of the latest, secure operating systems on Windows 98 machines.

Apple solves that problem by ensuring that, unless you use your Mac for something very specific, you'll be upgrading every two to four years. Anyone who has tried to use an old machine (such as the aforementioned 10 year old pc) on a day to day basis knows that they are a hobbyist's toy at best. They require constant attention to ensure smooth operation.

Can we fault Apple for taking this psychology and applying it to their consumer systems? I don't think so. If you really need that upgradeable system, you go Mac Pro. If you're a home user, iMac and MacMini have all the power most of us need (iMac for gamers, MacMini for entertainment hubs or web appliance duties).

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

I don't like e.SATA I think it would be better to just have a regular SATA II port, like on most motherboards you won't see e.SATA, just an external SATA or SATA II. Also, SATA II is far faster, and it's easier to get an external HDD.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: SATA II? Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
... I think it would be better to just have a regular SATA II port, like on most motherboards you won't see e.SATA, just an external SATA or SATA II. Also, SATA II is far faster, and it's easier to get an external HDD.

SATA II is not a specification, it is an obsolete term for the group specifying SATA standards (now SATA-IO). In any case, SATA, whether 1.5 Gb/s or 3.0 Gb/s is designed for internal use, except for eSATA and xSATA, which are designed for external use.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Well they make cases for SATA II external connections.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Well they make cases for SATA II external connections.

If so, they are using incorrect terminology.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146318
and e.SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817121020

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: