123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel 1.66 macmini vs. ibook intel 2.0Ghz.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exam23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Intel 1.66 macmini vs. ibook intel 2.0Ghz. Reply with quote

Can anyone provide their opinion in comparing the speed of the Intel 1.66 macmini vs. the ibook intel 2.0Ghz. Let's say both has max 2gig ram and same 5200-sata drives...

Opinions please...
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Info Please Reply with quote

[quote="Exam23"]Can anyone provide their opinion in comparing the speed of the Intel 1.66 macmini vs. the ibook intel 2.0Ghz. Let's say both has max 2gig ram and same 5200-sata drives...

Opinions please...[/quote]

My opinion is that the speed is not worth worrying about. Either one is almost certainly fast enough for anything you need to do, and the choice between a Mini and an iMac or MacBook depends on other factors, principally whether you want the built-in monitor or portability.

If you like the Mini but think it isn't fast enough, just wait for the next model, which probably isn't very far away.

Last edited by 247 Photography on Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion...

For 90% of daily computer use, you wouldn't notice any difference. The biggest difference would be in anything graphics processor-intensive such as gaming, 3D, etc. and maybe some processor-intensive funtions like large audio/movie conversion/rendering. Internet, word processing, email, iTunes, DVDs, and most basic applications would feel the same.

My reasoning...

My Core Duo Mac mini with 2GB RAM is as fast or faster than my Dual 2GHz G5 with 4GB RAM at just about everything, except what I mentioned above. I know that it's a different comparison, as the processor architecture and things are totally different.

My main point is: A few hundred MHz in processor speed won't make as big a difference as the differences in the graphics chipset in this case.

C
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cory Cooper"]My main point is: A few hundred MHz in processor speed won't make as big a difference as the differences in the graphics chipset in this case.

C[/quote]I think the OP is comparing the Mini and MacBook(sic) not iBook as he wrote. In that case would there be any real difference in graphics as they're both GMA950 aren't they?

[i]& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother[/i][/color]
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh...

If it's a mini vs MacBook, then that's a different scenario. Yes, they both use the integrated Intel GMA950 graphics. Performance would be the same...although some testing reports have shown that the mini's graphics performance is slightly faster than the MacBook. Seems the MacBook's graphics are clocked slightly slower to improve battery life.

250MHz MacBook
400MHz mini

[url=http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Conceptual/HWTech_Video/index.html]ADC - Video Product-Specific Details[/url]

C
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
iNeko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much of a difference between the 1.67/1.83/2.0/2.16/2.33ghz CoreDuos, all you pay for is the number really (and maybe a slight increase in speed and heat between the 1.66 and the 2.16), mhz/ghz means nothing these days - it's mainly architecture and ram that matters...

Merom (Core2Duo) is the same, it runs a lot hotter and it's not proving to be anymore powerful than the Yonah (CoreDuo) in every day use, just in some multimedia applications...

I'd say get a maxxed out Mac Mini, and a decent screen and you'll be happy Very Happy unless you want portability, then that's a whole new ballgame.

Last edited by iNeko on Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xbench shows users with intel mini's an average rating of 84.54 vs Mac book pro's 82.09...... Just some food for thought. Bang for the buck>>>The Mini has it. Smile
Juan Ker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would beg to differ on long cpu intensive processes.

a 2.16 would stomp a 1.66 by 25% in a movie encoding situation, its upto the user if thats really worth it
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really hard to compare a notebook with a desktop and come up with ONE answer that's right for everyone and every situation. There are a lot of variables - CPU speed, disk speed, optical drive speed and capabilities, cost, "portability", etc.

Clearly if you need or seriously want to be able to work anywhere, a notebook is the right answer. Clearly if you want the cheapest solution, and already have a monitor or can get one inexpensively, a Mini is the right answer, and it's still "portable" (lighter and smaller than the MacBook, though thicker). Clearly if you need maximum speed and expandability, and have the money, a Mac Pro is best. An iMac would give you more speed, more expandability, and has a built-in monitor compared to a Mini.

If I were deciding between a Mini and a MacBook, unless I had one specific "thing" to do that would run significantly better on one than on the other, I'd decide based on how much having a notebook versus an "equivalent" desktop matters. If there's no advantage to a notebook, I'd go for the Mini, or maybe an iMac. If there's a real advantage to a notebook, now or in the foreseeable future, I'd go with the MacBook. Either is a good solution. Unless you have a single dominant thing to do I doubt that you'll notice a big difference in real-world performance.

Doug

PS: I currently have a MacBook 2.0 and a PowerMac G5; I'm planning to get a Mini as a media machine in the fall. Eventually I'll probably replace the PowerMac G5, but no hurry, and I don't know with what yet.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you take benchmarks numbers with the large grain of salt you should I don't think the gap is nearly as great as some would believe. You also have to ask just how often you really do those CPU intensive task that an extra 12-18% really matter.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the mini is more powerful, faster ect. I was just giving Exam23 a starting point of some real life numbers. I agree xbench results should be taken with caution. I also agree that the small speed boost does not reflect the price difference.
MacWaffler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TonyMontana"]Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the mini is more powerful, faster ect. I was just giving Exam23 a starting point of some real life numbers. I agree xbench results should be taken with caution. I also agree that the small speed boost does not reflect the price difference.[/quote]

I actually wasn't referring to your example, I think you hit the nail on the head, due to trade offs in form factor the mini is faster than the MB on paper and probably in some practice.

If you compare the Mac mini line up as it stands today then the extra money is well spent on the bump model, Super Drive, more hard drive and small CPU bump is worth $200 on what amounts to a closed box for most customers.

I have no idea where I'm going, but I'm making great time...
Exam23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Noted Reply with quote

I truly appreciate everyones input. And yes, I was referring to the Mac Book and not the Ibook. So, it is Macbook intel 2.0 vs. MacMini intel 1.66. I already have the MacMini, and I was just trying to make an educated purchase about the MacBook. I will keep everyone posted.

Thank You,

Exam23
gdog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: macbook Reply with quote

again not exactly the comparison you asked for but my macbook feels very similar in speed to my intel imac. i used to have a mini and i think they work great booted off firewire 7200 drives. hope that helps. Twisted Evil
macbook 2 ghz, 2 gig ram
i got 99 problems but a bitch aint one
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need the portability, go for the MacBook. If you have a monitor, keyboard, etc and want to save some money...go for the Mac Mini.

BOTH will be a joy to own!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: