123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defragment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noah07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Defragment Reply with quote

Is there anyone who used the defragment option of TechtoolPro or iDefrag?

I had too much problems with one year old or more older PC's. Windows need defragmantation and I lost all my documents once. Since that I make defragmantation each month.

Without a defrag option in Mac OS I feel that I'm in danger. I would like to know what is the advantage of these defragmentation solutions. Do they merge the corrupted files, and do they make the system faster. (I'm not waiting a very big speed difference, only a difference like in XP)

Is there anybody who tried them?
Apple Wireless Keyboard / Wireless Mighty Mouse
Airborne2k4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have used it...

There is nothing to worry about, as nothing happened when I did it to mine.

But there was so little to move with mine that it wouldn't have mattered anyways (I use an external drive for just about everything...I wonder how that thing would defrag Confused Idea

You should not worry, but if you are VERY uncertain and have VERY IMPORTANT and VALUABLE files that would kill you to lose, then back up first, then defrag

As for the questions, the defrag tools do exactly the same thing as any defrag on PeeCee's, but like I said, I have not noticed any difference since I had so little to defrag

Hope that helped a little
---8x Superdrive
-MiniStack v2 250GB
-Adobe CS2 with Studio 8
-Final Cut PRO-->can't get it to work on the mini Sad
-iPhone, 8GB
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: defragment? Reply with quote

I would never run a third-party defragmentation utility on a Mac OS X disk. Read this first:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: poor logic Reply with quote

Airborne2k4 wrote:

There is no validity to an argument of this sort, in general.

Suppose we are playing Russian Roulette, and I say to you "there is nothing to worry about, as nothing happened when I pulled the trigger"?
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defragging on the Mac can actually, in some situations, slow things down. It's not something you really need to worry about on the Mac, IMHO.

There are various cron jobs (maintenance tasks) that happen in the background, assuming your computer is running all the time. If it's not, you can run them manually using Onyx. Other than that, not much to worry about.

Smile

Jamie
noah07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies. That was totally the information that I needed.
Apple Wireless Keyboard / Wireless Mighty Mouse
Airborne2k4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: poor logic Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
Airborne2k4 wrote:

There is no validity to an argument of this sort, in general.

Suppose we are playing Russian Roulette, and I say to you "there is nothing to worry about, as nothing happened when I pulled the trigger"?

I know, but like I said, I was not moving much around, almost nothing at all (I think the % of items 'to be defraged' equaled to .25%, so it did not affect me when I did it) That is why I told the person to back up first b/c it could affect...COULD being key...hold on let me read your document first to make sure I don't sound completely stupid, just partially...<2 min. later.>...ok, I was not wrong, but anyone should be cautious when doing this if they choose to do so

It boils down to a more "diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks" scenario
---8x Superdrive
-MiniStack v2 250GB
-Adobe CS2 with Studio 8
-iPhone, 8GB
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: My point, and I do have one ... Reply with quote

My point was only that not much can be concluded from one person's limited experience. One needs to consider carefully:

1. possible benefit
2. probability of failure
3. consequences of failure

In my admittedly extreme example, the answers are:

nothing, 1 in 6, death

As regards modification of file systems by third parties, the answer to the first is "minor", to the second "difficult to know", and to the third "severe."

I'm a conservative, technologically. Having been given grief by computer systems of all types over many years, I have come to believe in the old adage: "if it works, don't fool with it," particularly anything important.

Last edited by 247 Photography on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Airborne2k4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my admittedly extreme example, the answers are:

nothing, 1 in 6, death

Laughing

But you are right about everything you said. I too have also grieved over computer failures and the such from outside software, which was a big thing that led me to Macs to begin with. I have the option to do such things as defrag, but there is really no need for it, as stated earlier.
---8x Superdrive
-MiniStack v2 250GB
-Adobe CS2 with Studio 8
-iPhone, 8GB
Minis4Me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Defragment Reply with quote

My wife and I each have Mac minis - she uses a an early 2006 1.5 GHz PPC G4 superdrive and I have an Intel core solo with superdrive (Panasonic UJ-845) which I mounted myself. To defrag my mini I connect a Firewire cable between the two and restart mine on Target Disk Mode so it will mount as a FW drive on her screen. iDefrag 1.13 on her PPC mini will optimize my drive (it will take 3-4 hours or more). To defrag hers we mount her drive (also as Taget Disk Mode) on a 15" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz. since iDefrag 1.13 is not universal binary and won't run in my mini.

You can install OSX and iDefrag on an external FW drive and boot from it.

Charlie
Mac user since 1987
helicoil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: defragment? Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
I would never run a third-party defragmentation utility on a Mac OS X disk. Read this first:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

Good article -worth a read. Wink

I haven't ever defraged 10.4 but now and again go through the motions mentioned below.

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/11/21/maintenance.html
Orange Micro Terror
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Slightly Slower Mac Reply with quote

Recently my computer has seemed a tiny bit slower than usual. I searched for defragment and found this thread. I visited this page:http://macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/11/21/maintenance.html
and updated the permissions just because it was recommended.

I got back some things saying some files were one way and should be another way. At the end of the list of things needing attention were some things that couldn't be fixed. What does that mean other than nothing was done? Do these things need to be fixed?

Here are some examples:
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resourses/DiskManagementTool" has ben modified and will not be repaired.

There were about fifteen lines of these notices and warnings.

Doing this didn't affect the speed of my computer but I suppose if it is good to do this once in a while then it was worth it.

I've got over 80 GB free space on a 160 GB drive.

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com

[/img]
Bearcatrp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used idefrag once on an older Mac pro I had. Screwed up the hard drive bad. I did clone it before I did it so was saved. OS X takes care of smaller files. But for real large files (I think it's 20mb or more), you can do it according to apple. Not sure which cloner, but one does file copying, which helps defragging. I think it's CCC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: