123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debating on a Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leftplay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
mavherzog wrote:
I had a Inspiron 8600 (Dell) for a while and it ran quite well. (Pentium-M) Was a VERY nice linux machine for me.

Of course, I also still LOVE my Ultra5 and K6-2 systems...so what do I know about speed? Smile

I also had a Compaq laptop with a Pent M. I don't think any current CPU should feel "sluggish" running with decent amount of RAM. Even with XP. I still have 3 computers running XP and I've never encountered any problems with any of them whether it was sluggishness, reboots, viruses, malware, digital camera, DV or anything else. But then again I know some people that have 15 apps running at once on a Pent. 3.6 desktop with 1GB RAM and they wonder why the computer is slow! Jezz, some people really need to stay as for away from a computer as possible, whether itís XP or Mac.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a mini this week from best buy and i had to install tiger. it was in the box.
Roughneck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Debating on a Mini Reply with quote

kritoke wrote:
Greetings,

I have been lurking the forms for a few weeks trying to figure out if I should make the full plunge into macdom. I myself have always been a PC user, from the DOS days up until about Windows 2000. Past 4 or 5 years I have become a Linux user. The thing that kind of threw me into the Mac fold was getting an internship in an advertising department. It took some getting used to, but I kind of have started getting addicted to OS X. With Linux, I had a lot of the arguments that Mac folks use (more secure, no viruses, no spyware, etc). I don't know if it is the shiny interface or what blinding me, but I just miss the consistency and polish of the system (plus it actually works, though linux is improving in that way, but still has some room for growth).

Anyway, onto my questions. Do the mini's now come with Tiger preinstalled or does one have to do that 10 dollar uptodate program? Are there really a lot of features that are limited through using a mini vs a iMac/G5/FasterG4/etc? I really worry about taking apart the system to do upgrades, I have done computer upgrades for many years, but with such a small and delicate system, I don't want to screw it up by doing the putty knife magic wrong. Is it really worth it to go to 1GB vs 512mb? I am tempted to just let Apple install the new memory chip if its 512, though it shows a delay of 2 weeks or so. I really am on a limited budget, so I am trying to figure out how best to get something that runs decently and doesn't break the bank too much. I am probably going to end up doing some kind of enclosure thing for one of my pc hard drives, anyone got a good recommendation on a firewire enclosure that isn't outrageously priced? I think that about does it, hope it wasn't too wordy or long.

Kritoke

Hey Kritoke. I'm a brand new Mac mini owner. Just picked mine up a week ago from the Costa Mesa, CA Apple Store. I purchased the high end model with base components. The Applestore wanted to charge me $130 to replace the 256MB Dimm for a 512mb DIMM. Needless to say I purchases a 1GB dimm from somewhere else for $80 and I installed it myself.

The putty knife really works. I picked up a 2" flexible putty knife from Home Depot and it worked pretty well. It took me a second to actually pop the first side. I was being a bit too cautious and the putty knife was being a bit too flexible (a firm putty knife might be the better option).

Oh, my mini had Tiger pre-installed.
kritoke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: What dashboard effects are disabled, if any, under a mini? Reply with quote

Are all those spiffy effects that dashboard has when adding and modifying widgets enabled when using a mini? I heard bits and pieces about this, but don't quite remember or caught what parts don't totally work. I am still debating on getting it, now I am just kind of contemplating whether to get a mac keyboard (for the extra usb ports on it) or get a ps/2 to usb converter (which will fill up the two ports on the back). I still don't get why a lot of keyboards for PCs are still ps/2 (though my keyboard I have had for probably 7 years+, its only partially yellowized from age).

Kritoke
kritoke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Ordered the Mini Reply with quote

I just ordered the mini tonight, I went for the default low end model along with a keyboard (for the extra ports). I will probably order some memory for it after I get my pay check in next week and maybe an enclosure if I can figure out which ones can boot just in case I don't like the slowness of the hard drive.

Kritoke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: