123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Friendly reminder about topic titles...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Site Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Friendly reminder about topic titles... Reply with quote

Please try to refrain from using topic titles like "Help!" or "Help me please!". Try to be more specific about the issue you are having. It has been my experience that being more specific usually helps you get an answer faster. This also improves search results and may help people with the same issue.

Brian

Last edited by admin on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agreed!!!

It also helps a thread stay on topic.

I would have titled this thread:

MAKE TOPIC TITLES SPECIFIC!!!
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Wink

You're just too nice Brian.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur.

In addition, it's always best to add your system spec in your profile's signature line. That makes it easier for us to answer your questions, and you don't have to type it in every time you post.

C
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
You're just too nice Brian.

Only between the hours of 7 AM to 9 PM EST. Those pesky late night spammers can bright out my evil dark side. Wink Laughing

Cory Cooper wrote:
I concur.

In addition, it's always best to add your system spec in your profile's signature line. That makes it easier for us to answer your questions, and you don't have to type it in every time you post.

C

I concur! Excellent advice Cory.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where are your specs, Brian? Laughing
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
So where are your specs, Brian? Laughing

These are the computers that I work on daily...

1.66GHz Core Duo Mac mini
- 100GB Seagate 7200-rpm hard drive
- 2GB of RAM from OWC
- 250GB miniStack V2
- Apple wireless keyboard
- Wireless Mighty Mouse
- Altec Lansing speakers
- 24" Dell LCD via DVI

1.42GHz G4 Mac mini
- 100GB Seagate 5400-rpm hard drive
- 1GB of RAM from Crucial
- 160GB miniStack
- Apple keyboard
- Mighty Mouse
- The same 24" Dell LCD via VGA

2.0GHz Black MacBook
- Standard 80GB hard drive
- 2GB of RAM from OWC

I also use a homemade AMD tower with Fedora and Windows XP Pro installed on it. This machine is mostly used for compatibility testing for other projects.

Athlon XP 2600+
- 1GB of RAM
- ATI Radeon 9600
- 160GB Western Digital 7200-rpm hard drive
- 80GB Seagate 7200-rpm hard drive
- 19" Dell LCD via DVI
- Compaq keyboard and mouse
- 250GB Micronet miniMate

Retired Macs
- 800MHz G4 iBook
- 400MHz G3 iMac
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 gb Seagate internal 7200; nice! If I had one of those I wouldn't bother with a miniStack. Do you use the internal as the startup disk?
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
100 gb Seagate internal 7200; nice! If I had one of those I wouldn't bother with a miniStack. Do you use the internal as the startup disk?

I did at one time with the G4 Mac mini. The miniStacks are purely being used for SuperDuper! backups and extra storage. I take a mad amount of pictures almost every day for work. The internal 2.5" 7200-rpm drive in the Intel Mac mini is great. It does throw off a little more heat and noise, but the extra boost in performance is well worth it. I'm looking forward to the higher capacity 2.5" 7200-rpm drives that are coming out in early 2007.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
The internal 2.5" 7200-rpm drive in the Intel Mac mini is great. It does throw off a little more heat and noise, but the extra boost in performance is well worth it.

More noise than the miniStack plus its drive? Unlike you, I don't need the extra storage of the external drive and I bought it mostly for the speed increase and secondarily to have a backup device. (Actually the 4200 rpm mini drive is my backup now.) But the cost of a small 2.5" 7200 rpm drive was about the same as the combination of miniStack plus 3.5" drive so I debated about going with the former instead. What made up my mind was the extra ports, the extra margin of safety with the backup drive and a review of 2.5" drives which showed that 3.5" drives are faster even when both are 7200 rpm. But this was at least 6 months ago. Given the improvements in drive technology, I wonder if it's still true?

I will be facing a similar decision shortly, as soon as I buy an Intel mini for my office. (Waiting for the updated minis to be announced.) But this time I'll have at least a 5400 rpm SATA drive in the mini, and perhaps there will be a 7200 rpm option. I already have a firewire external drive in the office for backup, so if I buy another miniStack-type device it will only be for a speed boost.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
More noise than the miniStack plus its drive?

It doesn't make more noise than the miniStacks. It's only slightly louder than the stock 5400-rpm drive. I ran some some Xbench 1.3 Disk Tests that you might find interesting. The numbers for the 5400-rpm drive and miniStack V2 were taken from an old test. All the tests were taken right after a fresh install of Tiger.

http://www.123macmini.com/images/7200dt.jpg
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also be useful to place a "Read This First" sticky in some of the primary forums or at least in the Troubleshooting forum that list some common references for problem determination prior to asking questions. Example: apple.com/support, the powerful and yet apparently underutilized forum "Search" feature, etc.
I never mind helping folks out regardless of how many times the same question has been asked but it does tend to dilute the forums a bit when we've got 100 questions related to the same issue. It amazes me as to the number of questions that could have been answered with a simple one-term search. Of course, I suppose if people don't use the search there is no guarantee they would read or follow the advice of a "Read This First" sticky either.
I've seen the occassional and less-than-tactful "Google is your friend" type responses. And while I don't agree with that kind of answer, I'm sure it is out of a shared frustration that people don't seem to bother looking before asking.

BTW & OT: The 2.5" 7200RPM Seagate is great. It is almost if not as quiet as the 4200RPM internal I replaced. I still use my miniStack for storage of photos and movie projects.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
It might also be useful to place a "Read This First" sticky in some of the primary forums or at least in the Troubleshooting forum that list some common references for problem determination prior to asking questions.

We are working on something like that. They are more like guides with links and stuff. The primary Mac mini thread already includes an "Apple docs on Mac Mini" thread. In general, members should always do a search of the forums before starting a new thread.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I ran some some Xbench 1.3 Disk Tests that you might find interesting. The numbers for the 5400-rpm drive and miniStack V2 were taken from an old test.
http://www.123macmini.com/images/7200dt.jpg

They are interesting, and suggest that the 2.5" drive is at least as effective as a 3.5" external set in a FW 400 case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Site Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: