123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini updates soon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

Never trust an meteorologist, they usually flip a coin to forecast the weather. Wink

Isn't that when the quality of forecasting suddenly ramps up? Laughing
lol. In Minneapolis the weather is always weird. During the fall and spring, the weather plays havoc all over the area. One day it can be in 80's (in °F) and the very next day there can be snow on the ground. It happens like that around here all the time. Even crazy blizzards appear out of nowhere and suddenly drop 3 feet of snow. Crazy Minnesota weather.

Ah yeah, back to breakfast....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
One day it can be in 80's (in °F) and the very next day there can be snow on the ground. It happens like that around here all the time.

That was what I experienced in DC some years back - snow on Xmas day then 80F on the next day. Weird!

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
nostromo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cannot imagine what they would update in the Mini, since there isn't anything that has gotten to the point where it is critical for an update...

I mean, in all fairness, the only thing new today is the Core2 Duo and that isn't a necessity and the onboard graphic card, might be the only thing updated, though not with a stand alone graphic card.

So... Again, all I see is, more HD space starting from 80, new top model with Core 2 Duo, and an updated graphic card. But all of this is still not that big a deal... So, it might get bumped to 1.83Ghz from 1.66 but still the specs would be rather uninteresting.

Perhaps it will be fantastic and perhaps it will be a simply update... But I don't need the update... (meaning I don't want to sell this Core Duo Mini, in favor of a new one)

So, this might be to pull the rest and the last of the PowerMac MacMini users...

Unless, they will play with colors and introduce a cooler version in Black...

But I don't know... We'll just have to wait and see

-Alfred Tennyson
Casey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the realistic options for a video card if Apple switches from the Intel GMA950 graphics? I've also read that Apple caps the GMA950 at 64MB when in fact it can throttle up to 224MB. Wouldn't uncapping the that limit be another option fo them? I'm not sure why they would limit that in the first place though. Confused
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey wrote:
What are the realistic options for a video card if Apple switches from the Intel GMA950 graphics? I've also read that Apple caps the GMA950 at 64MB when in fact it can throttle up to 224MB. Wouldn't uncapping the that limit be another option fo them? I'm not sure why they would limit that in the first place though. Confused
From what I understand it is capped only thru OS X in firmware. If you install Windows XP and either use that thru boot camp or as your only OS, I believe you can rid the cap of the GMA950 to the full 224MB.
I forget exactly where I read that, might have been in one of these forum topics on here.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
40% might make me u/g the iMac
An iMac with "Conroe" Core 2 Duo would actually be a significant upgrade. Not only is the processor just more efficient and at a higher clock speed. It also has a FSB of at least 1GHz.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey wrote:
I'm not sure why they would limit that in the first place though. Confused

To protect iMac sales. They don't want the average uneducated consumer to think the Mac mini has more VRAM than the iMac.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Casey wrote:
I'm not sure why they would limit that in the first place though. Confused

To protect iMac sales. They don't want the average uneducated consumer to think the Mac mini has more VRAM than the iMac.
Partly true. I mean they don't really specify that it is capped at 64MB. There is a little blip on the design part of their page. But just about any consumer knows the difference between an integrated chip and a separate one (well at least majority of Mac consumers). For the most part the iMac and Mac mini are in two different markets. There is just more value in a iMac. But the Mac mini has more versatility by not being tied to a monitor (which I think is a major disadvantage of a all-in-one).
I think they can take off the cap without any harmful effects to the iMac. I mean it's an disadvantage already, that it sucks from your main memory. That kind of makes it the main reason why they capped it at 64MB. It takes from the main memory and OS X already takes around 60-80MB. Which leaves how much for apps off of the basic 512MB mini? Now make it 224MB with another 60-80MB off... just make the Mac mini come standard of 1GB (as all Macs should come).

There will always be ample iMac sales because of its value. This is especially true for the 20-inch iMac. As if you pair up the top-of-the-line Mac mini with enough upgrades to get close it as you can w/ a 20-inch ACD, it still comes out more expensive than the iMac.
It's only a difference of $2.
But this is what you get for that $2.
.34GHz Core Duo difference
130GB HD difference
ATI Radeon graphics with 128MB GDDR3 (which is faster anyways)

I think for a difference of $2, that is a deal. And if the seller is smart, he/she will push that value and it will drive sales. Of course there is the benefit if you already have all the accessories by going to the Mac mini. They still have their own markets..
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supplies of minis are definitely tightening--I think Apple may have EOLed (end-of-life) the current mini or may do so shortly.

If it were a mere speed bump upgrade, I don't think Apple would be drawing down current stock like they are. Remember the "secret upgrade" to 1.5gHz last year? During that whole time, the mini's ship date never budged--they just slipped the speed bumped models quietly into the shipping system.

I still think that you'll see Merom chips in minis. I'm stubborn that way.

Smile

Jamie
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

The more I read about these rumored updates with the Mac mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac, the more I get the feeling that Apple is going to update them all with Core 2 Duos at the same time. That makes everything 64-bit and ready to roll with Leopard. Plus, we really don't know how much longer Intel plans to keep the Core Duo in their lineup. It would be stupid to release an updated Mac mini now and have Intel discontinue the Core Duo in two months time.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
picaman wrote:

The more I read about these rumored updates with the Mac mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac, the more I get the feeling that Apple is going to update them all with Core 2 Duos at the same time. That makes everything 64-bit and ready to roll with Leopard. Plus, we really don't know how much longer Intel plans to keep the Core Duo in their lineup. It would be stupid to release an updated Mac mini now and have Intel discontinue the Core Duo in two months time.
I don't see them discontinuing the Core Duo any time soon. They still sell Pentium M's and Pentium D's out there. If anything the Core Duo will start to take the bottom end on budget notebooks/desktops. While the Core 2 Duo "Merom" will find its way into business and higher-performance notebooks. Same thing can go for budget desktop PCs (Core Duo) to higher performing ones (Core 2 Duo). So you will be able to find a cheap Dell, HP or Sony out there with a Core Duo. But if you want the savings of power (for notebooks) and the performance boost, you will have to pay for the difference. Well not really pay that much, as they ("Merom" Core 2 Duo) cost the same as the Core Duos when released. So just expect cheaper Core Duo PCs, that perform less than the slightly more expensive Core 2 Duo.

I think it would be fine to increase the MacBook's and Mac Minis to the 2.33GHz Core Duos. While taking the iMac and MacBook Pros to the Core 2 Duo "Conroe" & "Merom", respectively. They should even make the Mac mini configurative like the Mac Pro. Just give a standard config. with the option to increase to a faster chip. So start at a 2GHz with the option of 2.33GHz.
This way you differentiate between MacBook to the MacBook Pro. And give a substantial difference between the iMac and Mac mini. All the while, since Core Duo prices are going down, you can lower the price on the Mac mini. Even if it is just by a little bit of a price cut, it could spur more sales in the Mini. Also keeping the iMac just a little more different from the Mac mini will keep its value advantage more profound.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Apple should release another box between the Mini and the Mac Pro. Give it a "Conroe" Core 2 Duo with a decent amount of options available (like an actual decent hard drive, a 3.5" HD). As you can see the Mac Pro is in a league of its own by having "Woodcrest" Xeon chips, up-to 16GB of RAM and up-to 2TB of storage. So having a "Conroe" Core 2 Duo won't be too much of a threat against a Mac Pro. Especially if you limit it to only 4GB in RAM and 750GB-1TB of storage. You can also differentiate the Mac Pro from a Mac, by including a next-gen optical drive later on (HD DVD/Blu-Ray). At least as an option.

True it can cut into iMac sales. But the advantage of the iMac will always be its value. By including the display and accessories into it, it will be cheaper than a standalone Mac with the exact same options. Think of a 20-inch iMac Core 2 Duo still being $1699. But the new Mac being $1099 (with a real decent aluminum enclosure) plus a 20-inch ACD equaling $1798. A difference of $99, but since you are not including an iSight or speakers, which is almost another $200-250 right there. Plus there is still the option of the 17" iMac. And there are people out there who don't want a computer to take up all of their available space.

I think there are enough people out there looking for a Mac that is decently powerful, which cuts out the Mac mini. And there are those who just can't afford a Mac Pro. Lets face it, the Mac mini is powerful little thing, but it is still quite limited by having a notebook hard drive, optical drive and by just being small. I think those same people who want a more powerful Mac. See the integrated display as an issue. Since you will be tied to that display forever. (yes you can hook up to an outboard display, but you still have to use the iMacs built in one). This will give the Mac more options, as you can drive a 23" or a 30" ACD, or even use your already acquired accessories. Also by having two hard drive bays and other options, it will have added benefit over the iMac. This Mac can help sales of ACDs.

Of course this is all of my opinion. But I had to express it somewhere Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really want is a way to run 2 or even 3 displays with my mini, i would settle for 2 but 3 would be a bonus. I currently work from home using my mini + 20inch cinema display and at first this was ok but now i am craving multiple displays (digital) and my mini can't deliver Sad
tommymeggs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Macmini 1.66 Reply with quote

The new macmini due out soon? Is it a 1.66 or is this the older one. I am new to macs and am looking forward to buying a mini. CompUSA has the manmini but its a 1.66 mz.
thanks
tom
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Macmini 1.66 Reply with quote

tommymeggs wrote:
The new macmini due out soon? Is it a 1.66 or is this the older one. I am new to macs and am looking forward to buying a mini. CompUSA has the manmini but its a 1.66 mz.
thanks
tom

That's like the ten million dollar question. The 1.66GHz was released back in late February. It was the first Intel-based Mac mini.

sross wrote:
What I really want is a way to run 2 or even 3 displays with my mini, i would settle for 2 but 3 would be a bonus. I currently work from home using my mini + 20inch cinema display and at first this was ok but now i am craving multiple displays (digital) and my mini can't deliver

Dual outputs would rule! That along with Merom and dedicated video would have me buying a new mini and 20" ACD later this winter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: