123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me - Please let there be a fix...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Help me - Please let there be a fix... Reply with quote

Please help me with a fix that is already driving me crazy. As I have said here yesterday I got my Dell 2005FPW (o'&let me say damm nice screen! review to follow) and my Mini. Set it up last night and I got a problem that might be a deal breaker, aka mini return. Pls let there be a solution.

OK on my PC there I have my mouse set to go fast. I bearly have to move my hand to go across my screen. I certentally do not have to move my rist. I also dont have any trouble clicking and box and its a very accurate mouse. MX700.

On the mini I have to move my hand alot. I went into the system settings and went to the mouse and put it on fastest. Its still really slow. I also seem to have a great deal od difficualy getting the mouse to where I want to go. I have a great difficualty clicking the X to close a program or the - to minimize it. You know those little circles at the corner of the screen.

Its not the mouse. I am going back and forth between the two. I noticed it on the mini I played with at the apple store and I thought it was cuz it was used so much it was not working well - droped or something.

Please tell me there is a fix. I want better controll. This sucks the wazoo.
jase

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mouse acceleration curve on OS X is different than Windows. When I first started using the Mini, it drove me NUTS.

There are a few things you can try... check out the following thread:

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=283

I should note that since I wrote that, I've switched to a Logitech MX1000 mouse, which also works very well for me, probably due to the Logitech drivers. So my Logitech MX1000 and the Kensington mouse were fine in OSX, but my old Logitech DualOptical (which I love on Windows and Linux) almost had me ready to pitch the Mini. Your MX700 experience sounds like my DualOptical experience.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:

1.) USBOverdrive - www.usboverdrive.com - A shareware utility that will give you more flexibility in setting your mouse options, including acceleration. I used this briefly on a Powerbook I owned for a short period of time last year. It helps. However, I haven't tried it on a Mini, and there are reports it may not work on the Mini for some reason.
[code]

Who's the man...you the man! Yea thats what I'm talking about...Good controll over the mouse!

Thank you.
DellApple

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never expeirence the problems you guys are having with your mouse. Maybe you guys need a Mac Mouse. I have a bluetooth one and it works great.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand the problem either. When I first got my mini the mouse seemed to track a little fast so I went into System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse and changed the Mouse Tracking Speed and Scroll Speed to my liking. Pretty much the same as I have done in the past on Windows systems. I'm using an old Logitech mouse.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No this fixed the prob. It was way too slow for me - I guess i like my mouse faster than a speeding bullet.

This fix even allowed me to map the other buttons on my non supported mouse. works great now.

Thanx Jase.
jase

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it worked for you, ninjamini!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the speed at which the mouse pointer moves would be different for different mice. With a laser mice sending more data points per inch than an optical mouse. It would take the CPU a little longer to process the movement. Just a guess.

With a Logitech optical mouse, I set the tracking speed at 2 notches below the fastest setting. Anything more is too quick for my liking.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I would think the speed at which the mouse pointer moves would be different for different mice. With a laser mice sending more data points per inch than an optical mouse. It would take the CPU a little longer to process the movement. Just a guess.

With a Logitech optical mouse, I set the tracking speed at 2 notches below the fastest setting. Anything more is too quick for my liking.

Sorry bill, that is a mouse's sampiling. It relates to that accuracy of the moust not its speed. Think fine movemments over grose movements think speed of sampiling. Or think the mouse tells the computer move forward 1.2 mm vs. a more accurate mouse reads it as 1.22468 mm. and can read that change faster. Remember mouse w/ mouse balls. They used to skip sometimes and you could only move them so fast.

A super accurate mouse is really for gamers who are moving there mouse all over the place very quick and need accuracy so they dont get fraged.

Man thats a sucky explilnation. I hope it give the expilination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: