123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Offers Refurbished Core Duo Mac minis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, just my luck. I was going to snatch up a refurbished Duo and they're all gone. I've checked every few days for the last month while I was deciding between a refurb and new and they were there every time. Oh well, guess I'll wait a few days.

Is there any regularity as to when Apple lists the refurbished Minis on the site - beginning of month, mid-week, etc.?
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Consider refurbished! Reply with quote

Looks like I'm answering my own posts here. But, I'm sure some people have the same questions I have/had with buying refurbished, so I'll post what I know.

I was debating whether to get a new or refurbished Mini. Of course, I like to save $$$ like most of us do. However, I wasn't sure if saving $100 justified buying a refurbished Mini (or any computer for that matter). There are a lot of things that can go wrong there.

Well, as I usually do with something more expensive, I did my research and priced out buying a new Mini versus a refurbished one. I decided to buy a refurbished Core Duo @ Apple.com. I've only had it for a few days, but so far everything is great.

A lot of times when you buy something refurbished (not specifically an Apple product, but anything) they warn you that it may have cosmetic blemished (scratches, dents, etc.). Mine did not and just by looking at it, you would not be able to tell the difference between that and a new one. All the accessories (power cord, power adapter, remote, software, user's guide) appear to be new as they are all in their original wrapping. Possibly these are replaced as part of the refurbishing process. Also, the case has its plastic wrapping on it and looks to be new, also possibly replaced in the refurbishing process.

The only thing that differentiates this from a brand new one is the serial number which starts with a RM (for remanufactured or refurbished) instead of a YM. Also, it doesn't come in the cute little Mini box. It is shipped in a brown cardboard box with lots of foam cushion to protect it from whatever comes its way. The only bad thing about the box is it has an Apple logo on it and it says "Certified Reconditioned Product". So it is a dead giveaway that there is a computer or accessory in it. I mention this in case anyone is planning to have one delivered and left outside their door as I almost did.

I did get a bonus 100GB hard drive instead of the 80GB that it was supposed to be. So, once I get my RAM installed, which I just ordered today, I will have a Core Duo with 100GB hard drive and 2GB RAM for about $850. Not bad as this would have been over $1,200 if ordered new configured this way from Apple. Oh yea, those prices include a 7% cash rebate for using my Citibank dividend card.

I live in NorCal and ordered this early Wednesday morning. It shipped the same day from Elk Grove, CA (100 miles away) and I had it Thrusday evening thanks to FedEx. Still haven't been able to find who, where or how they are refurbished. I'm wondering if its done in Elk Grove, where they shut down manufacturing operations a couple of years ago (yes, I know I have to much time on my hands Smile)

So, if anyone is considering buying refurbished, but is having reservations about buying a refurbished computer, I would say give it a try. Yes, some people on here have had problems with them. But the same is true with new ones. Every time though, I've heard of Apple making good this problem in the form of a replacement or sometimes a repair. They do come with the same 1 year warranty and 90 days of Apple Care that new ones do and the extended 3 year warranty/Apple Care can be purchased.

I also purchased an Airport Express at the same time and that looks and works like new as well.

Hope this has helped anyone with ???s about buying refurbished! Laughing
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Consider refurbished! Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
So, if anyone is considering buying refurbished, but is having reservations about buying a refurbished computer, I would say give it a try. Yes, some people on here have had problems with them. But the same is true with new ones. Every time though, I've heard of Apple making good this problem in the form of a replacement or sometimes a repair. They do come with the same 1 year warranty and 90 days of Apple Care that new ones do and the extended 3 year warranty/Apple Care can be purchased. :

Nice post! I was a little scared of ordering mine, but decided to give it a shot. It was the first refurbished system I've ever purchased from Apple, (or, for that matter, any other company). My Solo refurb also came from Elk Grove CA. CaliforniaMini lives right down the highway, so it's hard to say if all the refurbs are shipped from CA. I can also report that everything came in mint condition and wrapped in plastic like it was new. So bascially I agree with CaliforniaMini. If you are looking to save some money, give the refurbs a look. I just can't wait to get Merom in this baby and pump it up! I'm craving those dual-cores and that 4MB of L2 cache in a big way.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy refurb stuff all the time. It shouldn't be a problem when you are purchasing it from the manufacturer themselves, as if you have any issues you deal with them anyway. Plus they are much better with return policies in case something is wrong with the unit.

I'm really being cheap myself. But I might wait until there is a Mac mini refurb that comes with Leopard installed. Smile
I know I'll have to wait quite a while, but by then I'll have enough money saved up to upgrade everything all at once. So not only will I order the Mini, but all the upgrades at the same time.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini that was a very good quality post. I hope your enjoying the system. With the money you saved you can buy Leopard when it comes out Smile

I sold numerous refurbished systems when working in retail. They all looked like new as well.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
CaliforniaMini that was a very good quality post. I hope your enjoying the system. With the money you saved you can buy Leopard when it comes out Smile

I sold numerous refurbished systems when working in retail. They all looked like new as well.

Well thank ya there Bandit Bill. But, with the $$$ I saved, I already bought a couple of 1gig sticks of RAM. I'm good at saving $$$, but not so good as to be able to sit on $100 and wait until Leopard is released! Laughing
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Prices lowered on refurbished Minis Reply with quote

$479 for the Solos ($20 price drop) and $649 for the Duos ($50 price drop).
I could have saved $50 by waiting a couple of weeks . . . oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: