123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macessity Accessories for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: New periferals Reply with quote

That OWC mini stack V2 just crapped out on me considering the firewireport (not any more recognised through Firewire, only USB), so I'm not very happy with these kind of enclosures any more. I'm tending now towards a faster HD in my mini (or in a future Intel mini, for that matter) and only use external enclosures for simple backup, not for bootdisks. Actually I also had a DVD-enclosure from which the Firewire stopped working when changing one time to a PC. My LaCie minimate has one port not working any more. Seems like a tendency, are those FW chips easily fried or what? Same happened with a (cheap but good looking) USB hub, was not powered any more, though it still had it's little led on, but "insufficient power". Don't know what it is but a lot of (well known branded) mini periferals are not that well built as the mini itself. To go a bit more on topic: I'm still waiting for a kind of plexiglass shelves-system for the Mac mini with some periferals (like external HD's, DVD burners etc) to go underneath. Something like this but with multiple shelves
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: New periferals Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
That OWC mini stack V2 just crapped out on me[...] My LaCie minimate has one port not working any more. Seems like a tendency, are those FW chips easily fried or what? Same happened with a (cheap but good looking) USB hub, was not powered any more, though it still had it's little led on, but "insufficient power". Don't know what it is but a lot of (well known branded) mini periferals are not that well built as the mini itself.

You seem to be quite unlucky with your peripherals, James. Sad

I have three "miniStacks" and one hub (the M9-DX, the miniStack V2, the Wiebetech Maxelerate and the Belkin 6-ports USB2/FW hub) and they've all been working fine for almost a year now.

One thing I've noticed: a lot of hubs don't offer powered ports. I have no choice but to connect my external 2.5" USB2 drive directly into the Mac mini (the power is taken directly from the USB2 port).

If I were you I'd check the quality of the electricity in your house/apartment, maybe you have spikes or non-standard voltage levels (or something else) that's also putting your Mac mini at risk. Or maybe the Mac mini power supply is better at filtering the problem (if that's the problem).

Another thing could be a specific peripheral that you're using that's been frying the ports on the hubs. Maybe the Mac mini ports are better protected or supply more power to that device.

In any case, it's happened to you so many times that I'd check other factors before deciding that all the hubs are the problem.

James T Kirk wrote:
To go a bit more on topic: I'm still waiting for a kind of plexiglass shelves-system for the Mac mini with some periferals (like external HD's, DVD burners etc) to go underneath. Something like this but with multiple shelves.

That picture looks nice, but the shelves would need a different design if you ever wanted to connect the cables into the hubs. Wink

And why would you want such a system of shelves? The Mac mini and Mac mini hubs are already designed to be stacked on top of each other.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New periferals Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

You seem to be quite unlucky with your peripherals, James. Sad

I have three "miniStacks" and one hub (the M9-DX, the miniStack V2, the Wiebetech Maxelerate and the Belkin 6-ports USB2/FW hub) and they've all been working fine for almost a year now.

One thing I've noticed: a lot of hubs don't offer powered ports. I have no choice but to connect my external 2.5" USB2 drive directly into the Mac mini (the power is taken directly from the USB2 port).

I was dissapointed when I found out, I could not burn my DVD's at 16 speed anymore (lost a couple of good DVD's!) through the FW hub of the V2, while I was using one partition of the disk as bootdisk.

Yvan256 wrote:

If I were you I'd check the quality of the electricity in your house/apartment, maybe you have spikes or non-standard voltage levels (or something else) that's also putting your Mac mini at risk. Or maybe the Mac mini power supply is better at filtering the problem (if that's the problem).

I doubt it. Our house was built 1997 to best modern (EU) electricity standards, so all electricitycables are only 8 years old and we had never ever electricityproblems like I expirienced during visits to the USA. Moreover I should have lost some of my (older) electrical equipment during these years, but had hardly ever a defect.
Yvan256 wrote:

Another thing could be a specific peripheral that you're using that's been frying the ports on the hubs. Maybe the Mac mini ports are better protected or supply more power to that device.

In any case, it's happened to you so many times that I'd check other factors before deciding that all the hubs are the problem.

I'd figured I just had bad luck. Why just one port of my LaCie doesn't work? The external DVD enclosure went bad when I disconnected and connected to my old PC but worked flawless before. The mini USB hub was connected to an adapter which did not belong to it and my V2 went bad when I shut down my Macmini with the button when everything froze up...

Yvan256 wrote:

That picture looks nice, but the shelves would need a different design if you ever wanted to connect the cables into the hubs. Wink

And why would you want such a system of shelves? The Mac mini and Mac mini hubs are already designed to be stacked on top of each other.

Well I found out that the LaCie gets very hot when used as boot disk, so I only wants to use it as extrnal storage. to be frank, the V2 just does not look very classy under the mini, with its nasty plastic welding line just around the sides, looks jsut what it is "plasticky" and I think it's a shame, if you see how nice the LaCie is made. I fell for the hubs, the features and the tests and indeed, it stays reasonably cool compared to the laCie. I really hp OWC will come with a solution as i don't live in the USA... Confused
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New periferals Reply with quote

Just as most audiophiles do, you should run all of your equipment thru a surge protector with line filtering. Your electricity my be up to code, but that doesn't mean it has no dirty electricity. Also, that was 1997, a lot can happen in that amount of time and standards change as well.

Make sure if you get a surge protector, get one with line-filtering/line-conditioning.
HowStuffWorks.com wrote:
Some surge protectors have a line-conditioning system for filtering out "line noise," smaller fluctuations in electrical current. Basic surge protectors with line-conditioning use a fairly simple system. On its way to the power strip outlet, the hot wire passes through a toroidal choke coil. The choke is a just ring of magnetic material, wrapped with wire -- a basic electromagnet. The ups and downs of the passing current in the hot wire charge the electromagnet, causing it to emit electromagnetic forces that smooth out the small increases and decreases in current. This "conditioned" current is more stable, and so easier on your computer (or other electronic device).
This lets your electronics live longer and provide even more stable electricity than your home puts out.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Jim's periferals Reply with quote

I noticed that surgeprotectors are a big thing in the States but the electricity supply in Europe, especially Western Europe in the newer built parts (99,9% sturdy brick houses) are of very high standards. I'm a audiophile for over 35 years and only when I lived in a cheap rental I had minor problems with the fridge coming in and such, but with the earthed cablings and wallplugs nowadays and I'm in my own brick house we don't have any problems with our 230 V/50 Hz system at all. The electricity of my mini and its periferals runs through a lightning protected master/slave power strip from a sturdy German brand so I am not very concerned it has to do with that. Thanks anyway for pointing out what it could be if the situation was any different.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Found the problem but it costed me my laCie Mini Companion! Reply with quote

After connecting my LaCie Mac Mini Companion (the old one without hubs) to my old PC, I lost the Firewire connection and it was not recognised in OSX anymore after that. Systemprofile froze up trying to allocate the FW, so I think I finally found out what fried the FW ports in my External DVD case and my Ministack V2 and now my LaCie... It did not have anything to do with the Mac or my electrical wiring, just with a defective FW card in my old PC... Crying or Very sad I did not found out sooner as I used my V2 once on the PC and it did find my FAT32 partition without problems. Thinking back, all of these devices were connected to my PC once... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: