123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Just bought a Mini Help did I make a mistake???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: I Just bought a Mini Help did I make a mistake??? Reply with quote

Help I bought a mini tonight at Best Buy $499 and I think I got an older model w/ tiger thrown in the box as an upgrade. Please help...

Here is what leads me to think that. First right after I went to CompUSA to get something else...so I look at their mini. They got one on display with 10.3 running...

First, I look at my unopened box and it has a big sticker on it that says:
"Mac OS X v. 10.4 Tiger Inside" right across the opening...it is the sticker that seals it.

Next the specks:
I will skip the tech specks
"Includes software: Mac OS X, classic environment, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDvd, GarageBand), iSync, iCal, Appleworks, Quicken 2005 for Mac (N. America only), Marble Blast Gold, and Nanosaur 2"

Is there anyway to tell if OS X 10.4 is installed? I donít want to spend an hour installing (& I should not have to). Once itís opened its mine.

Mad Update:
Built in week 9. Apparently it need to be built in week 19 to have 10.4.
Is there any downside to installing OS X 10.4 over 10.3? Should I be upset over this?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't open it.

You could phone Best Buy and ask (a manager). I'm sure that is the case. You'll have to upgrade to 10.4. I'm not sure how much of an issue it is to do the upgrade, but I know I wouldn't want to Install 10.3 and have to go through the process again if you ever re-install the OS.

That's bogus that it not pre-installed yet.
billabong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the box codes or seal. I've had my mini for a few months. Installing Tiger over Panther won't hurt anything. Plus you don't have any of your files on the hard drive to worry about. Installation should take about 40 minutes. Is this your first Mac?
billabong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I wouldn't open it.

You could phone Best Buy and ask (a manager). I'm sure that is the case. You'll have to upgrade to 10.4. I'm not sure how much of an issue it is to do the upgrade, but I know I wouldn't want to Install 10.3 and have to go through the process again if you ever re-install the OS.

That's bogus that it not pre-installed yet.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have the Tiger disk your fine. You could have Tiger installed faster than the time it would take you to drive to Best Buy and back! Very Happy
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Tiger CD an upgrade or a full version? In the future if ninja wipes the hard drive and wants to re-install Tiger is the system going to ask him for a Panther CD to verify that he qualified for the upgrade?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjamini if you did the install let us know the how it went.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replys:

Bandit Bill - I am shure that all of the best buy inventory is older production. Frankly I should have known better to look.

billabong - This is my first mac - last mac used Apple IIc in 9th grade. I am wondering if I loose anything by doing this upgrade.

Bandit Bill - Your right. What a pain in the But to install and then have to install again. My windows 3.1 to 95 was like this and it was a pain in the but. I re-install every year - "tabla rosa" - clean slate. Makes windows run better. Nope have not decided if I'm gonna take it back to BB and go to the apple store. I had giftcards to buy it at BB.

I dont know poop about apple. But it shure is a small computer - the way they were ment to be. Also I never ran virius software on a pc and now i wont need to.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just look at it....fire it up! You are not going to loose anything. This is not like upgrading Windows. Trust me it's easy!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be painful to look at that pretty little box without certainty. Maybe things are easier than we think. We've been subjected to M$ for too long. We're accustom to reinstalling our OS over and over again. I like you would want it to be as painless as possible.

I've waited for Tiger to be pre-installed on the mini for the same reason. I also wanted to see if a new model would be released at WWDC.

I think the only minis with Tiger pre-installed are units directly ordered from the Apple online store. I may be wrong.

Look at the bright side. You have your mini.
DoFa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say you lucked out. The newer minis with 10.4 installed have a Tiger installation disc that is machine specific. The Tiger install disc you have might be a nonspecific installer, meaning you can use it to install on any Tiger capable mac.

In any case a fresh install of 10.4 should take you only 1/2 dozen mouse clicks and 20-30 minutes of unattended installation time.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived with Panther installed and the Tiger disk in the box. I pluged the Mac is made sure everything worked properly and then installed Tiger! It took 40 minutes tops to install. Once that was done I made sure once again that everthing worked without any problems and upgraded the RAM to 512mg. You will not see problems!!!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ninjamini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh you guys give me that warm fuzzy feeling. OK, you convinced me it wont be that bad...& Besides it was really free. I was not opening it until my 20" widescreen dell arrives. Its on the UPS truck and out for delivery. I will get it today.

Bandit Bill - "I also wanted to see if a new model would be released at WWDC. " Yea me too. I thought they would change something...but no, no changes to the mini.
DellApple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
Gosh you guys give me that warm fuzzy feeling. OK, you convinced me it wont be that bad...& Besides it was really free. I was not opening it until my 20" widescreen dell arrives. Its on the UPS truck and out for delivery. I will get it today.

Congrats on your new Mac Mini purchase! Your fine with the one you picked up at Best Buy. I'm a new switcher and its easy yo upgrade to Tiger. If you can work with installing software on Microsoft PC's, you can work with Apple. It's night and day! Apple software is VERY user friendly.

Besides if the Mini you received has the Tiger CD in the box, it means you have a newer production model. I am sure there was a batch of minis they produced with Panther on it right when Tiger came out so they just dropped a upgrade CD in the box instead of sending it back into production.

GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!!

Pat
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some questions remain...

What happens when ninjamini wants to wipe the hard drive and re-install Tiger? What's the process?
Will the computer ask to see Panther?
Is Tiger in the box a Full version or an upgrade?
If it's not a Full version. Is he going to get as clean of an install writing overtop of Panther, or should Panther be erased first?
DellApple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Some questions remain...

What happens when ninjamini wants to wipe the hard drive and re-install Tiger? What's the process?

There is no upgrade version of Tiger to my knowledge. (Like there is with Windows) He does not have to wipe the hard drive to install Tiger, just drop the CD into the drive and follow the directions. It's quite easy. I did it twice with no problems!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: