123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Lowers Prices on Cinema Displays [Updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derekasaurus Rex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great -- I can finally afford a 30" display, but the mini can't drive it. Argh. I hope the next mini upgrade features decent video.

In general, Apple's current product line leaves people who want an external display out in the cold. We either have to buy an expensive Mac Pro or an underpowered mini. Obviously the iMac and notebooks are not ideal solutions either. Apple really needs a Mini Pro in the lineup. Maybe make it a couple of inches taller with decent video, a Merom CPU, and 3.5" HDD. (I can dream, can't I?)
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
I am not a big fan of Dell (or their logo plastered all over the place) so I am going to wait until some new, faster ACDs come out and I will be placing my order for a 23".
Just my 2¢

Here's my 2¢..

Seeing as how the Apple and Dell 23" screens use an identical display, i bought the Dell. Mainly because of the fact that it has a built in card reader, mulitiple inputs, (I use two machines) and that it can rotate 90 degrees.

Oh, and it only cost $799 when the Apple display was $1299. Six months on and i am still very happy with my choice. Yes it does say Dell on the front, it isn't made from Aluminium and it doesnt look as nice next to my Mac Mini, but it was $500 cheaper. Very Happy

So I aint gonna lose any sleep over it..
Encinas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am about to updagrade my LCD scren and I am still not sure about Apple or Dell. Right now I have a Dell one and it has been a good screen and I do not care whether it says Dell on the front or it is black. But I have read that Apple ones, though use the same philiphs lcds, it is better and it is not as bright as the Dell one so it is much better for the eyes. Is that correct?

I think I am going to wait to see the prizes for the old apple ones now that the have to sell the stock and see if it's worth to get the 23'' apple or the 24'' dell now that Dell offers a 25% off.

Regards.
Encinas

Sparkstack wrote:
jbstingray wrote:
I am not a big fan of Dell (or their logo plastered all over the place) so I am going to wait until some new, faster ACDs come out and I will be placing my order for a 23".
Just my 2¢

Here's my 2¢..

Seeing as how the Apple and Dell 23" screens use an identical display, i bought the Dell. Mainly because of the fact that it has a built in card reader, mulitiple inputs, (I use two machines) and that it can rotate 90 degrees.

Oh, and it only cost $799 when the Apple display was $1299. Six months on and i am still very happy with my choice. Yes it does say Dell on the front, it isn't made from Aluminium and it doesnt look as nice next to my Mac Mini, but it was $500 cheaper. Very Happy

So I aint gonna lose any sleep over it..
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Encinas wrote:
Hi all,
I am about to updagrade my LCD scren and I am still not sure about Apple or Dell. [Apple] is not as bright as the Dell one so it is much better for the eyes. Is that correct?

Well, My Dell 2405FPW is the last generation, not the current one. I would guess that the new apple screens are using the newer panel that Dell is now also using, as they previously did so.

As for the brightness "problem" Yes the dell is bright as shipped from the factory. But so are most TV's you buy from a shop. I have my brightness set to 70% (from the original 100%) and the picture is fine. so i don't think brightness is an issue.

Anyway, both the Apple and the Dell have brightness controls. So it's just a question of how you set it up.

Hope this helps.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:

As for the brightness "problem" Yes the dell is bright as shipped from the factory. But so are most TV's you buy from a shop. I have my brightness set to 70% (from the original 100%) and the picture is fine. so i don't think brightness is an issue.

I bought the 2405FPW just before the 2407WFP came out. It's still an awesome display and the best one I've ever owned. I also like the looks of the base better on the 2405FPW. The new Dell bases look weird. The default brightness and factory default on mine is 50. 100 must be like looking at the sun. They are VERY VERY bright. In the Color Settings are you using the Mac Standard Preset? What are your settings?

Mine are:
Brightness 50
Color Settings (Mac Standard Preset)
Red 31
Green 34
Blue 25
Encinas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
So what you both think is that, even with the brighness problem, it is still a good screen and you would recommend it? I know many people prefer the apple one just because of the design while others prefer them because of the quality but they are quite expensive and if I can get a really nice 24'' screen for the same prize as the 20'' from apple, I'd go for the dell one.
I just needed some user experience about this and, it'd be cool if you coud post your screen setup as you have started with the previouse post.

Thanks a lot,
Encinas.

scooper wrote:
Sparkstack wrote:

I bought the 2405FPW just before the 2407WFP came out. It's still an awesome display and the best one I've ever owned. I also like the looks of the base better on the 2405FPW. The new Dell bases look weird. The default brightness and factory default on mine is 50. 100 must be like looking at the sun. They are VERY VERY bright. In the Color Settings are you using the Mac Standard Preset? What are your settings?

Mine are:
Brightness 50
Color Settings (Mac Standard Preset)
Red 31
Green 34
Blue 25
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
100 must be like looking at the sun. They are VERY VERY bright. In the Color Settings are you using the Mac Standard Preset? What are your settings?

Nope.

Brightness 70
Color Settings (PC Standard Preset)
Red 30
Green 42
Blue 29[/quote]

@Encinas
First, an observation. Can you stop quoting other peoples full message? Thanks.

Second, As mentioned by me and Scooper, brightness is not a problem with the Dell.

Third, it's really up to what you need. At the time I needed more than 1 input, so i had to rule the Apple display out. But as previously mentioned, the Dell shares the same display as the Apple, and has more inputs (5) and a card reader. If you only need the one input and don't need a card reader AND want a display that matches the Mac then the Apple display is the way to go. [/b]

Last edited by Sparkstack on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a site that may be of interest to TFT/LCD buyers. Input some details of the monitor you're interested in and the site will tell you who makes the panel. Take the panel serial number, reinput that and it lists the other makes & models using that panel.

It's quite an eye opener to see one panel used widely and to find great variations in the end price of monitors built using the same panel. It's pretty comprehensive but doesn't list every make.

Flatpanels

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: