123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacBook or Imac 20"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdsalinas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: MacBook or Imac 20" Reply with quote

As you may know, I am planning on getting an Imac 20" around Christmas.

Recently I have been thinking of the possibility of getting a macbook with the superdrive instead. (my budget tops off at an imac, so a macbook pro is out of the question.)

I would get almost the same thing, except for the bigger screen, hdd space and video card. The screen I would miss but since I already have a 17" LCd i could hook it up and use both displays. The smaller hdd space could be solved later on with an external usb (or firewire) drive. So basically the only downsides are the integrated video card and the slower hardrive. But hey, I will be saving $400 over the imac

Based on your vast experience with macs, what would you recomend? I really dont think I need the extra mobility of a laptop, but I think I will find it very usefull (i have never owned a laptop before) I am not big on games but I dont want it to be sluggish when I occasionally play games.

I do intend on running windows thru boot camp. i will be using it for a lot of graphic design work. (basically Adobe applications).

Well I will wait for your comments.

thanks

Current PC: (yes a PC, But I am getting a mac soon)
P4 2.4ghz (Northwood)
1 GB Ram, 40GB HDD, CD/DVD+RW
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that while the MacBook uses the same integrated graphics as the Mini, it's only running at 250MHz vs the Mini's 400MHz. That's somewhat offset by the MacBook's faster CPU, but both are much slower than the iMac graphics.

There is no substitute for a desktop when you need a desktop. Notebooks are nice, but constantly plugging into the them and unplugging wears out the connectors. And when that happens, it's motherboard replacement time. That's why all but Apple's have robust docking connectors for port replicators. You could use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with the MacBook, but the display connector isn't even a full-sized one.

[edit] Another thought... notebooks are more fragile than desktops and have a higher failure rate. While you can get away without it on a desktop, I wouldn't buy a notebook without AppleCare. So price that in your comparison.

[edit 2] The tiny speakers in the MacBook are almost inaudible except in a quiet environment, while those in the iMac are fairly usable. Price in a pair of speakers for the MacBook. The MacBook Superdrive is slower and cannot burn dual-layer disks, so also price in an external DVD burner if you need that capability.

Unless you really NEED a portable, not just a nice-to-have, I'd stick with the iMac, in your situation.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
hdsalinas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. Thanks, I will take them into consideraton. Imac it is then.

Current PC: (yes a PC, But I am getting a mac soon)
P4 2.4ghz (Northwood)
1 GB Ram, 40GB HDD, CD/DVD+RW
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Why not a Mini? Reply with quote

If you have a monitor which you would use, and if money is a factor, why aren't you considering the Mini as an option? It seems like the best value to me, as you don't require portability.
camination

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've never owned a laptop before, I think the macbook would be a great first laptop to get . . . i personally own both and found that the freedom a laptop gives you is priceless . . . . of course when i want to get some serious work done, i will always go to my desk

remember, you can span your screen with a macbook, so you can always add a LCD and you'll have more than twice the workspace!

Agloco got me too . . . damn John Chow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: