123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.5" drive in miniMate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adavis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: 2.5" drive in miniMate Reply with quote

I was waiting for a USB/Firewire hub that matched the Mini design so I jumped on a miniMate. I only planned on using the hard drive as backup as I had already put a 7200 rpm drive in the Mini. After living with the miniMate a few months I tired of the noise. So I pulled the 3.5 inch drive and with an adapter, replaced it with a 2.5" drive. I used some double-side foam tape to "mount" the corner of drive opposite connectors. I also had to bend the tap on the connector that carried the wire harness for power (you can see this is lower corner). Otherwise fit was fine. Works great and all is quiet again. Here is pic:
[/img]
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love looking at stuff cracked open and give you mad props for the mod! Is the miniMate really that noisy? What size/speed is 2.5" drive? Can I have your old drive! Laughing

Curt
adavis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Mac Mini is pretty much dead quiet until the fan kicks in, right, so you do hear the spinning of the larger 3.5" 7200 rpm drive. One reason might be that the drive is mounted in the miniMate without any kind of insulation and there is no sound deadening material in the case itself (bit much to ask). If you put your hand on the miniMate you can feel it vibrating, something you don't feel on the Mac Mini. Of course just stick a CD in the Mac Mini if you want to cover up any other noises (gawd!). I put in a Seagate 5400 rpm 60 gig Momentus drive (supposedly very quiet drive). The drive that came out was an 80 gb Western Digital 7200rpm w/8mb cache. Actually, I really don't need the drive so if you PM me your address I will mail it to you (hate to see stuff not used). When you get it you can send me something to cover shipping and a few cups of coffee and its yours.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JK! I have like 6 or 7 drives...one 80GB is just sitting on top if my desk. I need another drive like a hole in the head. You'll probably have someone else PM you now. But thanks for the offer! I was thinking about picking up one of those M9 enclosures if it ever comes out. Wasn't there enough room in the miniMate to try some foam or padding to muffle things?
adavis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have been able to use some sound deadening materials although the 3.5" drive fills the case up pretty good. I did some searching on sites dedicated to "quiet PCs" and there is certainly a lot going on in that area - lots of different materials to stick inside a case.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably wouldn't have been a good idea to cut off air flow. I've read a few comments from people saying they do get a bit warm. Did it make any difference if it was below or on top of the Mac mini? Was the noise purely coming from the drive spinning or was the vibration causing some.
adavis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the miniMate on top of the Mac Mini. I have a short USB cable that sits on top of the miniMate so I could easily plug in a pen drive - if I had the miniMate below this cable wouldn't work. I don't think the vibration caused any noise or real concern. Noise was from drive spinning. Note that the fan in the Mac Mini cuts on it is louder than the miniMate. When I first took out the drive and used the miniMate as a hub I immediately thought "Now, that's better." so the noise of the drive in a quiet environment is obvious. Happy to say the new 2.5" is silent. When you think about it, it seems rather amazing that they can use a 3.5 7200rpm drive without fan cooling. Although there are vents, there is nothing happening to move any air inside the case.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, nice picture! I have the MM160. The noise really doesn't bother me anymore. You know the Hub works without the power tuned on...right?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
adavis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey blazer, never under estimate the ignorance of others. No, I didn't even think of trying the hub without the power turned on. I'm so used to "powered" hubs I just figured it needed to be on to work as a hub. Thanks.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does yours work without power? I'm not sure how much of a load it takes but it mine works. I only have an iPod and 6-in-1 media reader hooked up to mine at the moment.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
adavis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try it tonight and let you know. FYI to anyone reading this thread: the drive offered to curt is gone. Thanks
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adavis wrote:
I'll try it tonight and let you know. FYI to anyone reading this thread: the drive offered to curt is gone. Thanks

You sold my drive! Wink
adavis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Blazer, hub works without power. Curt, I don't know what to say about the drive, I feel terrible. How about some extra power cords?
leftplay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Curt. I was the lucky recipient of Al's generosity. He was kind enough to send it for the cost of shipping only; of course I put in a little extra for some coffee and donuts. Very Happy Thanks again, Al!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMMMM......coffee and donuts! Back to work! Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: