123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel powered Mac mini? (Updated)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:

It makes me wonder a little bit about the wisdom of releasing the Mini.

If the Mini is aimed at switchers, why release it only to announce a complete change in platforms less than 6 months later? It seems you risk alienating all those people who just made the jump because now their new Minis are part of a dead-end line.

Looking back I don't understand the timing of the mini's release at all! They release it four months before a new OS comes out without the proper video card to run it. Now next year they're completely changing the architecture that would be more appealing to switchers. Maybe they got wind of Intel's mini PC concept and wanted to be first to market? Rolling Eyes

Who knows? I'm lost!
iLife's a Bitch!
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not particulary disappointed by the news. Having recently switched from Wintel to Mac its primarily been the software that has had the biggest impact on me (i.e. OS X). Do I care what processor is running inside that little box? Not really as long as it remains quiet, reliable and efficient for the tasks at hand. IBM is not exactly the most agile company and I can understand where Apple is coming from on this. I do hope that Apple will continue to exercise some level of control and creativity over the packaging of their systems (including Intel-based).
Am I disappointed that I purchased a mini before the announcement? No. Any computer can be considered technically outdated the moment you walk out of the store with it. But that doesn't mean that its useless unless it no longer serves the functions you bought it for. As for me, the mini is nothing less than excellent for my use. Actually, I feel kind of special for owning a first release PowerPC model! May have to hold on to it even if my next purchase is a MinTel. Wink
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
bsnoel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the timing is just about right. I just switched to Mac this year. First a Mini, then about a month ago a new PowerBook 15". Since I rarely keep a machine longer than 2 years for me the timing is just about spot on.

In the long run I'm kind of glad for the switch to Intel. I love Mac OS X and Apple really makes top notch cool stuff. However, it was a little bit of a hard sell for me to justify paying $2k for a laptop that only runs at 1.5 GHz. In the end, OS X, security, and the cool factor made the decision easier.

It appears as though Apple, Adobe, and Microsoft will continue to support the PowerPC based users for an indefinite time into the future. So, all is not lost for those planning to hold on to their investments for a little longer.

Time to start saving my money. Maybe I can have enough saved up for a new Intel based PowerBook and a PowerMac by 2007.
jnewyork

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:

In the long run I'm kind of glad for the switch to Intel. I love Mac OS X and Apple really makes top notch cool stuff. However, it was a little bit of a hard sell for me to justify paying $2k for a laptop that only runs at 1.5 GHz. In the end, OS X, security, and the cool factor made the decision easier.

I agree. Apple had to make this move if they wanted to gain marketshare and get more people to switch. It seems like everything was being held back by with the Powerebooks. Apple couldn't offer the Mac mini and eMac with the same G4 as the Powerbook and still sell them for $2K. It was silly! Now they will have more chips to choose from and a better brand name for the consumer. This is a win-win for Apple!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnewyork wrote:
Is video of the keynote going to be available?

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/
iLife's a Bitch!
Hoffer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
For me the timing is just about right. I just switched to Mac this year. First a Mini, then about a month ago a new PowerBook 15". Since I rarely keep a machine longer than 2 years for me the timing is just about spot on.

I wish they would of announced this a year ago. I got a 12" PowerBook in February 2003. I was hoping for a G5 PB early next year. I'm 99.9% sure this Intel deal means there will be no G5 PB.

Now, if they are starting to put Intel into Macs next year this time, it may be 2 years before a Intel PB. So, I could have a 5 year old PB before I do my next upgrade!! I'm hoping PowerBooks are the first system they put them in. There is no way I'm buying another Mac with a PowerPC.
1GB iPod shuffle
bani

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now the drooling zealots will have to come up with reasons why x86 is better than ppc Laughing Laughing Laughing

OMG SSE3 IS BETTAR THAN ALTIVEC!1!1!11

a lot of fanatics are having to eat crow now...
castaway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
jnewyork wrote:
Is video of the keynote going to be available?

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/

Watching now! Very Happy
billabong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got done watching the Keynote. I'm feeling somewhat better about the transition after watching it. I was glad to see the demo of Rosetta even though it seems like classic mode all over. It will be interesting to see what Intel processor goes into each system and what ones will be available first.
idave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billabong wrote:
Just got done watching the Keynote. I'm feeling somewhat better about the transition after watching it. I was glad to see the demo of Rosetta even though it seems like classic mode all over. It will be interesting to see what Intel processor goes into each system and what ones will be available first.

I want to see the performance of Rosetta hands on. I always think about the Wizard of Oz when I watch a Keynote demo. What are they really running behind those curtains? Wink
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the Keynote speech I feel better about the switch. Steve is indeed a good salesman! Wink
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sts89

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
After watching the Keynote speech I feel better about the switch. Steve is indeed a good salesman! Wink

Steve could sell ice to Eskimos. Hypothetical question - Do you think Apple will be forced to raise the price of the Mac mini with an Intel Processor? A Pentium or Pentium M Processor would have to cost more than a G4. Would Apple really want their first Intel machines to ship with Celerons?
bill_g

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Looking back I don't understand the timing of the mini's release at all! They release it four months before a new OS comes out without the proper video card to run it. Now next year they're completely changing the architecture that would be more appealing to switchers.

Except for the very few developers who write code specific to a particular processor family, no one really cares what is inside the box. If it runs the software people use sufficiently fast, no one will care about anything else.

The mini's sells because it is cheap, small and quiet. I'd guess that most buyers have no idea what kind of chip it uses. Or have reason to know.
billabong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sts89 wrote:

Steve could sell ice to Eskimos. Hypothetical question - Do you think Apple will be forced to raise the price of the Mac mini with an Intel Processor? A Pentium or Pentium M Processor would have to cost more than a G4. Would Apple really want their first Intel machines to ship with Celerons?

AOpen has plans to sell their mini PC with 1.3 and 1.6GHz Pentium M's processors for $499-699. I see no reason why Apple can't be in the same range.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=13972
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
I want to see the performance of Rosetta hands on. I always think about the Wizard of Oz when I watch a Keynote demo. What are they really running behind those curtains? Wink

More info on Rosetta!

http://news.com.com/The+brains+behind+Apples+Rosetta+Transitive/2100-1016_3-5736190.html?tag=nefd.top
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: