123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Previews Mac OS X Leopard
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Apple Previews Mac OS X Leopard Reply with quote

Apple Previews Mac OS X Leopard
Monday, August 7, 2006

Apple today previewed Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard, the sixth major version of Mac OS X, to its third party developers. Leopard, scheduled to ship in spring 2007, offers a number of new features, including Time Machine, a revolutionary new way to automatically back up and restore everything on your Mac, and Spaces, an entirely new way to instantly switch between groups of applications required for various tasks. Leopard also includes industry-first advancements in Mail and iChat, including Stationery, Notes and To Dos in Mail; and Photo Booth-style effects, the ability to "place" yourself in any photo or video as the backdrop for your chat, and live presentations of iPhoto slideshows, Keynote presentations and videos in iChat.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/511.html
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they forgot to mention the Finder and Safari. When will they announce those top secret features? Laughing
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the ship date on Leopard makes it easier for me - I don't think I'll wait until Spring to buy my MacBook... unless there's a processor upgrade in the offing Wink

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
castufari

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring? Dang, I was hoping for late fall. Though rolling it near Vista might show people what a steaming pile Vista is. (that coming from someone who normally likes MS products).
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring does seem like a long time out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them release Leopard at Macword in January. I just watched parts of the keynote address and those Leopard sneak peak clips. Time Machine, Spaces and those new video features in iChat look pretty neat. Do you guys get the feeling that Photobooth is going to work with older iSight cameras?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
Spring does seem like a long time out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them release Leopard at Macword in January. I just watched parts of the keynote address and those Leopard sneak peak clips. Time Machine, Spaces and those new video features in iChat look pretty neat. Do you guys get the feeling that Photobooth is going to work with older iSight cameras?
Well it should work with the stand-alone iSights. They said it will work with a bunch of different webcams, not only just Apple's.
I watched the keynote also, when it was working from not having everyone watch it at once. They did have some interesting features on there. I find it interesting that at the Developers Conference, they usually show some new software that takes over software by other developers. Like Time Machine, the new backup software. Which I have to admit looks way better than anything. Apple sure knows how to make eyecandy.
By the time Leopard comes out I'll have to buy a family pack. For this old mini, eMac, iMac G5 and my future MacBook.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Spaces is the bomb. I'm looking forward to having that feature.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Machine... wow. I'm speechless.

Core Animation seems amazing, too. I can't wait to see what devs will do with it (though I'm sure some will abuse it). Wink
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Time Machine... wow. I'm speechless.

Core Animation seems amazing, too. I can't wait to see what devs will do with it (though I'm sure some will abuse it). Wink
Core Animation is probably going to make me upgrade from my current G4 Mini. I'm sure it probably won't support Core Animation, as it says it is supported by the machines that support Core Image also.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Core Animation is probably going to make me upgrade from my current G4 Mini.

I find the timing for the Leopard release to be good for me. Really, what I'd like to do is wait for the next generation of Intel Macs to arrive and pick one up with Leopard installed as opposed to buying it separately. Until then I'll sit tight with my G4.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Spring, we'll be on the verge of seeing the second generation of Core 2 Duo Meroms, and the Santa Rosa platform, with 800 MHz front side bus, much better integrated video, Crestline, and a new socket design, which necessarily means a motherboard redesign. I don't think you'll see the "next generation of Intel Macs" i.e. any significant changes to the motherboards until then–probably a year from now, and maybe longer for the Mini.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
I don't think you'll see the "next generation of Intel Macs" i.e. any significant changes to the motherboards until then–probably a year from now, and maybe longer for the Mini.

I'm patient Wink
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thoughts, the cost of upgrading both iLife and OS X maybe I will wait to the new year for that MacBook.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 64-bit capable mini, loaded with Leopard, would definitely get me to upgrade from my current G4 mini. It's going to be perfect upgrade timing for me, too.

But I'd probably settle for a new machine with just Leopard, as is, too. And that's without the features they are keeping secret. Time Machine and Spaces are enough to make me want Leopard, and Socomraider is right about Core Animation.

I can't imagine the goodies they are keeping secret.

Virtualization, anyone?

Razz

Jamie
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtualization, and perhaps even BootCamp, may turn out to be a double-edged sword. If Macs can run PC applications, what motivation to major application vendors have to invest in writing them for the Mac interface?

I wonder if it was Leopard or just BootCamp that caused Garmin's delay in natively supporting Macs?
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: