123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I sill switch now?... and other questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowy2005

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Should I sill switch now?... and other questions Reply with quote

It all started in November. I took a long look at the Apple site, a loooong look and I started to get the mac feaver... witch quickly dissapated soon after. It came back last week. This time, it wasn't exactly mac that made me want to switch...

My anti-virus and firewall... oh wait... an Anti-Virus software is something that a windows user needs to protected his computer from dangerous programms that can enter his computer and screw it up even more than Microsoft already did and a firewall is an other programm that protects the PC from hackers trying to get improtant info by entering one of the holes in Windows (a little clarification for you Mac users Very Happy ). Anyways, my anti-virus and firewall expired and I was installing the one offered by my ISP. They asked to unistall ALL of the current security software. I THOUGHT I did(keyword: thoutht). I didn't unistall the anti-spyware(anti-spyware is... oh, forget it!) because the software i was installing didn't have one yet. Ok, right? WRONG. I had to restore my (HP) computer. Here's what happened....

1st restore: I forgot choosing french (my native language) in the setup wizard screws everything up, so...

2nd restore: I press install for a device that wasn't XP verified (Hey, it was called something like''Uniprosessor PC'' so it seemed crucial to install) Well...

3rd restore: I didn't press the button, and went ahead with the numerous updates to do. After doing a couple, I soon discovered windows decided to install the device for me...

FORMAT AND RESTORE: I was carefull and Windows seems to ''work'' now.

Before the Format, it became apparent to me: Computers aren't suppose to be this hard to work with...This is insane!!

Now I'm planning my switch to a Mac mini for the end of august... and now this comes allong... INTEL! Nothing against intel at all! But should I switch now, now that PowerPcs will simply be another chapter in the history of Apple or should I still jump on now, now that Apple needs to keep their current PowerPc mac customers extra happy? And another thing... It might be my paranoia that flows in my veins, being a win user all my life, but...Do I really need a anti-virus or a firewall for my mac?

Sincerely,

Soon-to-be ex-Windows user
Debaser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would look at it this way. You wont see a new intel-mac for a good year or so from what I gather. That being said if $499 doesn't set you back that much I'd say do it man! Reguardless what is offered in the next 12-24mos. that mini you got can serve you well in other jobs down the road; dedicated web server, mp3 server (just got a Rocu sound bridge - very cool), bang-around web surfer box,give it to the wife/kids, etc. Its a $499 investment that will holds its value down the road I belive.
idave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I sill switch now?... and other questions Reply with quote

snowy2005 wrote:

It might be my paranoia that flows in my veins, being a win user all my life, but...Do I really need a anti-virus or a firewall for my mac?

No need for anti-virus....another reason to make the dive! Wink
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
DoFa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figuring conservatively, a mini will be worth $3-400 by this time next year.
So for $10-12/month you will get to monkey around with a very nice mac. If a Intel Mac comes out next June and you want to spring for it, sell your old one and upgrade.

I don't see how this Intel news figures in at all. I'm going to buy a 2nd mini soon. If a Centrino Mini comes out next June I'll sell one of my 2 minis and try the new one out.
Debaser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't see how this Intel news figures in at all. I'm going to buy a 2nd mini soon. If a Centrino Mini comes out next June I'll sell one of my 2 minis and try the new one out.

Yeah and the cool part is the Centrino model will only run $399.99 Hahah

Seriously snatch one up and have fun. You wont regret it.
snowy2005

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoFa wrote:
I don't see how this Intel news figures in at all.

Well apple will certainly be illimating completly the PPC macs at some time or another but when watching the keynotes to the convention, Steve Jobs seem prety pushed at making software PPC/Intel compatible.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowy2005 wrote:
DoFa wrote:

Well apple will certainly be illimating completly the PPC macs at some time or another but when watching the keynotes to the convention, Steve Jobs seem prety pushed at making software PPC/Intel compatible.

Rosetta emulator looked pretty quick in the demonstration. I have my doubts that Mathematica was ported in a few hours and could be ready for prime time. This process will be slow! Steve just does a good job of selling it.
snowy2005

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
snowy2005 wrote:
DoFa wrote:

Rosetta emulator looked pretty quick in the demonstration. I have my doubts that Mathematica was ported in a few hours and could be ready for prime time. This process will be slow! Steve just does a good job of selling it.

I'm not talking about PPC TO Intel I'm talking about PCC AND Intel.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch now. Forget about the Intel transformation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: