123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Introduces Mac Pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ba747heavy wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
If Apple wants Joe Average to switch. It's time to offer a headless "Mac" in the $1000 (or lower) range.

It does, its called "mac mini" Wink

We're referring to a topic addressed in another part of this forum. On the necessity of a Mac between the Mini and Mac Pro, the kind without a screen.
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6896&highlight=
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

I'm sure many of us have spent $2500 on a computer. I spent $1800 on a 386 tower. Well over $2000 for my Pentium 100 tower.

You can always knock $300 off the price and go with the two 2GHz chips. Wink Unless you're doing some big time video editing, that's more than enough computer. I'm sitting happy with my DC mini. The thought of having a big tower again kind of makes me cringe. Although, having all those drive bays would be wicked cool. I might have been more interested if there was a model for around $1499-$1699. I'll be passing for now
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile When I finally win the lottery..... yeah right..
But if I did, or come across a decent amount of income. I'm going to get a fully loaded Mac Pro just for the hell of it. I mean the whole 2 30" ACDs, plus all the 16GB, 2TB goodness for near $17,000 Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the Mac Pro is a Pro level machine, but no Front Row or remote? Am I missing something? Confused
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I understand that the Mac Pro is a Pro level machine, but no Front Row or remote? Am I missing something? :?

Yes. The Mac Mini is intended to be a media center controller; the Mac Pro is not.
sross

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so how fast can this new mac pro boot osx? lol
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
ok, so how fast can this new mac pro boot osx? lol
It boots as soon as you think about it. JK Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I understand that the Mac Pro is a Pro level machine, but no Front Row or remote? Am I missing something? Confused

That was a real disappointment!!! I swear to god, Apple is getting so backasswards these days. They put Front Row on a laptop with a teeny tiny 13.3" screen and leave it off the most powerful system they make. You know the one that can actually use the 30" Cinema. The rest of the Mac Pro's features are just amazing, but I think they are going to be sorry for not including Front Row on the Mac Pro. Hey that rhymes! Laughing
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: next Mini Reply with quote

MacMarley wrote:
You know the one that can actually use the 30" Cinema.

I'll bet the next Mini upgrade will support it.
MacMarley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: next Mini Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
MacMarley wrote:
You know the one that can actually use the 30" Cinema.

I'll bet the next Mini upgrade will support it.

I couldn't afford a 30" Cinema, but that would be fine by me because that would mean the mini got a GPU upgrade. I'm looking to buy a Mac mini here in the next few months and step into the Intel age. It's time to send my G4 iMac to the computer graveyard. A new video card and faster Core Duos in the mini would most assuredly make me break out the old credit card.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacMarley wrote:
Weee wrote:

That was a real disappointment!!! I swear to god, Apple is getting so backasswards these days.

Frontrow will be incorporated into Leopard, apparently. Part of the "Total Package" Steve was talking about..

So.. Whats the chance that the Apple remote control will be offered along with a USB IR reciver some time next year when Leopard comes out? That would allow G4 Mac mini owners and new owners of the Mac Pro to use front row.
MacMarley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:

Frontrow will be incorporated into Leopard, apparently. Part of the "Total Package" Steve was talking about..

So.. Whats the chance that the Apple remote control will be offered along with a USB IR reciver some time next year when Leopard comes out? That would allow G4 Mac mini owners and new owners of the Mac Pro to use front row.

I hope that is what they meant and not that it will only be bundled with new computers. They seemed to be very vague when it came to talking about Front Row and Photobooth.

Personally, I always thought that Apple should have offered an external Front Row kit, or even work the IR receiver that's on the iPod dock into the picture. This really seems like a lost business opportunity for Apple and another case of them being backasswards with giving their customers what they are asking for.

They could also do something with Bluetooth (like a remote) in the future. This would allow any Mac with Bluetooth to become Front Row enabled. Some people are even saying that they could include the IR receiver in the Cinema displays with iSight. That might help them sell a lot of displays, but it isn't going to solve the problem for existing users.
Merlyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: The Mac Pro Reply with quote

Yep, its expensive. But powerful.

Strangely enough, the Power Mac G5s are still going for $1,500-3,500 on eBay!

I'd have thought that they'd come down by now.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mac Pro Reply with quote

Merlyn wrote:
Yep, its expensive. But powerful.

Strangely enough, the Power Mac G5s are still going for $1,500-3,500 on eBay!

I'd have thought that they'd come down by now.

I have a feeling the Power Mac G5s are going to hold their value well for another year or so. A good amount of the apps that creative professionals depend on still haven't gone universal. Plus, in general Macs hold their value better than PCs.
Airborne2k4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Noticed how much you can put in the Mac Pro?
16GB of RAM, 2TB of HD space, up to 4 GPUs, two 3GHz Xeon processors, two SuperDrives. That is all at a crazy price, but goddamn.

so ok, this is a big loop back to the first posts, but w/e. I DID read the posts on the topic.

Just here to make a point...the PPC Power mac G5 had the exact same upgradable features, save for the better graphics and possible two drive bays.

The thing that makes the maxed out Mac Pro awesome is that it is $5000+ CHEAPER than that of the maxed out Power mac g5.

Hell yeah...pound-you-in-the-ass power comes cheaper now!!!!
---8x Superdrive
-MiniStack v2 250GB
-Adobe CS2 with Studio 8
-Final Cut PRO-->can't get it to work on the mini Sad
-iPhone, 8GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: