123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will you purchase a MacPro?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 875
Location: Oakland, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Will you purchase a MacPro? Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I assume you are saying you like to purchase products at the end of their product life cycle.


Yes. Exactly my point. I'm not much interested in what the "MacPro" will look like, or in what the next innovation from Intel will be. I confess to a tendency to look for bargains at the end of a product's lifetime. Of course there is an obvious downside to this, and I don't recommend it as a strategy to anyone who doesn't already think it's appropriate for their needs.

I still like my Ti PowerBook (550 MHz) even after getting my much faster Power Mini.

I do recognize, however, that the switch to Intel architecture was a good business decision for Apple. I'm just not excited about it, that's all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boxcar182
Member
Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 100
Location: NOMA, Ca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as you right now, I always look for bargains, like now, I'm looking for a 12" PowerBook G4 because their prices have dropped dramatically, their still good computers, just not the best, like when the intel PowerMacs come out, I will probably go looking for a cheap PowerMac G5 for my video editing.
_________________
Mac Mini, 1.25 Ghz, 40Gb, 512, combo drive. Imac G4, 1 Ghz, 80Gb, 768, Super Drive.
Powermac G3 beige, 200Mhz, 64 Mb RAM, 2Gb Hdd.
Mac Classic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dan__
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Core 2 Duo Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I think it could be fine with only one drive. As most drives do it all these days, plus another defining feature for the Mac Pro.

It does look nice and with such height there can be quite a few connections on the back.

You should make picture of what the back/connections would look like.
There should be no less than 5 USB ports, 2 FireWire, maybe an eSATA and whatever else you can think of.

Thanks. Yes, it could work one drive, but I SO much prefer 2.

If I have time this weekend I'll give a shot at the backside.

-Dan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Altermind
New Member
New Member


Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: i would like to have a powermac, but.......... Reply with quote

.....its too goddamn expensive!!
There's no point of view from i can see a way to get one, and if i choose the affordable mac mini, there is no way that i see myself using something that i cant upgrade the video card or go over the 2GB of ram.

No way man, good machine, very reliable but the prices people, the prices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5962
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: i would like to have a powermac, but.......... Reply with quote

Altermind wrote:
.....its too goddamn expensive!!
There's no point of view from i can see a way to get one, and if i choose the affordable mac mini, there is no way that i see myself using something that i cant upgrade the video card or go over the 2GB of ram.

No way man, good machine, very reliable but the prices people, the prices.


Your point is shared by many.

At what price point would you by a Mac Pro?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 875
Location: Oakland, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: i would like to have a powermac, but.......... Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Altermind wrote:
No way man, good machine, very reliable but the prices people, the prices.


Your point is shared by many.

At what price point would you by a Mac Pro?


I was surprised that all Mac Pros are dual-dual configurations. I would like to see an entry price at $1999 with a single dual-core. Clearly, Apple is concentrating on the high end. There is a huge gap now between the Mini and the Mac Pro. It will be interesting to see how (if) they fill it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 2869
Location: Minneapolis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: i would like to have a powermac, but.......... Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
Altermind wrote:
No way man, good machine, very reliable but the prices people, the prices.


Your point is shared by many.

At what price point would you by a Mac Pro?


I was surprised that all Mac Pros are dual-dual configurations. I would like to see an entry price at $1999 with a single dual-core. Clearly, Apple is concentrating on the high end. There is a huge gap now between the Mini and the Mac Pro. It will be interesting to see how (if) they fill it.
Well the Mac Pro is supposed to be a high-end workstation for Pros. Hopefully in January there will be a computer to fit that gap.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 875
Location: Oakland, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: i would like to have a powermac, but.......... Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Well the Mac Pro is supposed to be a high-end workstation for Pros. Hopefully in January there will be a computer to fit that gap.


No argument there. I think Apple has done a fine job on the high end of their line, but there is a huge gap in the middle. I don't see the iMac as filling it because I don't like the idea of the integrated monitor. It makes sense for schools, because the Mini is too easy to steal, but I wouldn't want one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 2869
Location: Minneapolis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: i would like to have a powermac, but.......... Reply with quote

247 Photography wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Well the Mac Pro is supposed to be a high-end workstation for Pros. Hopefully in January there will be a computer to fit that gap.


No argument there. I think Apple has done a fine job on the high end of their line, but there is a huge gap in the middle. I don't see the iMac as filling it because I don't like the idea of the integrated monitor. It makes sense for schools, because the Mini is too easy to steal, but I wouldn't want one.
Yeah I really want a new headless Mac. Something right in the middle, I would buy it first thing it came out, regardless of kinks that would be needed to be worked out. My G4 mini serves me fine, so does the iMac G5, but in due time I want to upgrade to an Intel desktop.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 677
Location: In a Mac.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although my next Mac is going to be a notebook, even if I was in the market for a desktop, I wouldn't get it. Too much for me, and I would never let it live up to its potential - I don't use any heavy video editing programs, and that is one of the only thing that really uses all the processing power, other than animation, gaming, and coding. A nice, midrange Mac would be best, because there is a gaping hole, I agree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5962
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
Although my next Mac is going to be a notebook, even if I was in the market for a desktop, I wouldn't get it. Too much for me, and I would never let it live up to its potential - I don't use any heavy video editing programs, and that is one of the only thing that really uses all the processing power, other than animation, gaming, and coding. A nice, midrange Mac would be best, because there is a gaping hole, I agree.


My needs are basic as well... but I still want a tower. I want to add a few big hard drives without the need for an additional enclosure and power supply. I'd like some form of TV out to my monitor (again without an external device). I'd like to support dual displays. My 20" ACD is getting too small Smile.

I posted in another thread that the average cost of a PC in the first quarter of 2005 was $850. The average person/switcher doesn't want a mini. They want a cheap tower. Just watch and see what happens to aOpen and Seanix's mini rip-off designs. Those things aren't going to sell very well.

Yes the mac Mini is neat and cute and a great little device, but most people purchased it because of the price point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 1444
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
The average person/switcher doesn't want a mini. They want a cheap tower.


Good point there. No one wants a mid-range headless Mac more than me, but I just can't see Apple doing it. They apparently believe it would cannibalize high-end Mac Pro sales, and I think they are right about that.

But if the mini form factor becomes a PVR/media center, then maybe the low-end product could be a mini-tower with room for internal expansion, clearly differentiated from the Mac Pro. That would be an attractive option.

Smile

Jamie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 605

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since we can present statistics and claims here without having to cite market research or other credible data... Wink

95% of all tower PCs are never "expanded," much less even opened up, except to upgrade memory–because they weren't originally purchased with enough. That needs to be easier to do. Besides being sick and tired of Windows, most switchers are sick and tired of big, ugly tower cases with their myriad of ugly wires, but they buy them anyway because they have no alternative.

Most switchers want and buy an iMac, because it's comparable in performance and capacities to typical consumer PC towers from quality PC manufacturers. It has all the expandability most ever need–memory–and that's easy to do. It's clean and elegant, fully functional with only a power cord (with wireless keyboard, mouse, and wireless router).

The all-in-one computer has defined "Macintosh" since the beginning. Going back to the all-in-one Macintosh in the form of the iMac helped save Apple. It has been, and will continue to be, the center of Apple's desktop line-up, without internal competition from a headless version–at least as long as Jobs is at the helm.
_________________
Moe
1.66GHz Core-Duo Mini, 2GB/120GB, Apple 23" Cinema HD Display
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Apple iSight Camera
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5962
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
Well, since we can present statistics and claims here without having to cite market research or other credible data... Wink


Yup... we can do whatever we want here Smile

Like I say watch and see how many people buy an aOpen mini or a Seanix mini PC. The sales will suck. Even look at the sales of Shuttle sized PC's compared to overall PC sales. It is a very small portion of the market.

Big ugly towers are a thing of the past. Most manufacturers try to put some sort of style element into their design. There are PC cases available that far exceed the style, design and functionality of Apple cases. You just have to pay quite a bit for them and build your own machine.

I sold computers in retail for 5 years. Mind you this was 95-2000. I had only a handful of customers buy a machine based on design. I never had anyone ask "how loud is it?", "how power efficient is it ?"

I will be the first to admit that things are changing. People are starting to ask these questions.

The big question that needs to be asked is a what price point would introducing a "Mac" cannibalize MacPro sales to the point that Apple will be losing profits.

If you are making $1000 on a MacPro and selling 1 million units, that is 1 billion. If you are making $500 on a Mac and selling 3 million units that is 1.5 billion. Now issues of quality control, support etc come into play, who knows.

All I know is that I'm not bucking up over $2000 for a MacPro. Even if I won the lottery I'm not paying that kind of money. For those that are making money with their MacPro's enjoy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 2869
Location: Minneapolis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
All I know is that I'm not bucking up over $2000 for a MacPro. Even if I won the lottery I'm not paying that kind of money. For those that are making money with their MacPro's enjoy.
Well if I won the lottery, I'd put a Mac Pro in my new Hummer, pimp my ride style... JK Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.