123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macpower Announces M9 SATA Enclosures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Macpower Announces M9 SATA Enclosures Reply with quote

Macpower Announces M9 SATA Enclosures
Monday, July 31, 2006

Back in June, we brought you news that Macpower was preparing to release SATA versions of their M9 enclosures for the Mac mini. Well, Macpower made it official today and announced the launch of three new SATA products in its M9 series of storage enclosures. "The M9 series is already very popular in the market," said Tommy Chen, President of Macpower Corporation. "The introduction of these new products for SATA drives shows our commitment to the changing market."

According to the company, "The M9-S2 offers a USB and eSATA connection, and is powered by a J-Micron 20336 chipset. The M9-S2H has the same chipset and interfaces, with an additional 3-port USB hub integrated in to the unit. The M9-DX2 is the most all-round unit, powered by an Oxford 924 DSA chipset and incorporating a single USB user interface, three firewire ports and a 3-port USB hub.

All of the M9 family incorporates smart fan technology, with automatic temperature detection. When it is hot inside the case, the smart fan will switch itself on to high speed to dissipate the heat quickly and efficiently. Once it has cooled down, it will reduce its speed to use less power. Each enclosure is also fitted with a large heat sink to ensure the M9 does not overheat."

The new series of M9 enclosures are expected to ship in August and will be available at Macpower's partners across the globe in September.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/506.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of these units, and I must say they're very well made. One minor complaint that one could have is the fact that their casing is made of plastic, which isn't really important because of the excellent finish which makes it look the same (or at the very least 95% similar) as the Mac mini. Apart from the molding seams on the corners, you wouldn't know the case is made of plastic.

Now, I wonder why they keep putting a long blue led indicator in the middle instead of copying the Mac mini's subtle dot white led indicator. Belkin does it for their hubs and I haven't heard of Apple suing Belkin for design infringement...

Potential buyers: I would suggest the M9-DX2, if only for the Oxford 924 chipset.

Edit: no more ports on the side?

Last edited by Yvan256 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Cameraman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wanted to buy a barebones MiniStack kit from the time I bought my Intel mini, but passed because they didn't accept SATA drives. I hope the company that sales them gets in the SATA models soon, because I have a 200GB DiamondMax drive just itching to be used. It would be nice if they cost the same too! Very Happy
Derekasaurus Rex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if only Apple updates the mini to support eSATA. It would be sweet to boot from a big, fast 3.5" drive that's not limited by a FW or USB interface, or even a 10,000 rpm HDD. There's nothing preventing Apple from doing this, especially the Intel mini uses a SATA drive internally and it can been hacked to run with 3.5" drives with little more than a cable adapter.
AnoMac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Edit: no more ports on the side?

I may be wrong, but I don't think MacPower have yet made them with side ports. I think that was a Newertech mod. But actually I prefer the ports at the rear anyway. Takes up less space, and looks neater too.

I agree about the blue light though. Stick some gray tape over it with a pinhole, until MacPower catch on.
sross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the esata port? what good does this do us if the mini does not have one? Why no firewire port? Is this thing bootable?
Derekasaurus Rex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
why the esata port? what good does this do us if the mini does not have one? Why no firewire port? Is this thing bootable?

I see no FireWire, so I don't think it's bootable. I was wondering about the eSATA thing myself. I'm hoping Macpower knows something about the next mini update that we don't -- like that it will support eSATA. The mini is overdue for an update, so maybe we'll find out next week at WWDC.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:

The M9-DX2 looks to be the same as the M9 or original miniStack for SATA drives. It has three firewire ports.
Macbollox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit does not have any side ports. Also, the reason for the e-SATA port is simple - the device is not only compatible with the MAC but also with PC's, so it can offer faster data transfer speeds with them.

Cool
walberg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derekasaurus Rex wrote:
Now if only Apple updates the mini to support eSATA. It would be sweet to boot from a big, fast 3.5" drive that's not limited by a FW or USB interface, or even a 10,000 rpm HDD. There's nothing preventing Apple from doing this, especially the Intel mini uses a SATA drive internally and it can been hacked to run with 3.5" drives with little more than a cable adapter.

That's very nice but i don't think the intel sata chipset wil support Port Multiplying. (but i do hope its possible)
arikalish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...

Any word on these actually becoming available yet? I've got a 320GB Seagate waiting for a case Smile.

Ari
yallrob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found where to purchase the M9-S2H? I can't find any references on where to buy on the web. Maybe someone rebadges these under a different name/model number?

If I could find one of these for reasonable, this would definitely peak my interest in getting a Core Solo with SATA drive...

Thanks!

Mac Mini Intel 1.66ghz Core Duo
300gb eSata HD Mod | 2.0gb RAM
Mac OS X (10.5)
40" Samsung 1080p HD screen
====
Mac Mini PPC G4 1.42ghz
60gb HD | 1.0gb RAM
Mac OS X (10.5)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: