123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fastmac.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: fastmac.com Reply with quote

Has anyone used fastmac.com? I am thinking I want the $499 mini and I will upgrade myself. I am thinking of installing a DL DVD-RW drive that they sell, I am also thinking of using an external DL dvd-rw drive.

Any thoughts? Anywhere else to get this DL DVD-RW drive cheaper?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this on another thread for $99 bucks.
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA32760

OWC sells the same drive for $149.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/item/7472/PIODVRK04L/
thecolor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just go with an external drive. Then you don't need to mod the internal of the Mini.

With the quickly changing drives, from old sckool, DVD-+/RW to newer DVD-+RW DL, to even newer DVD-B (BlueRay) and fights about DVD-HD, if you are an early adopter, it might just be safer to utilize what the Mini already has in store (except for perhaps memory) and plug in external items.

Just my thought. I've got a file server plus many other machines in my home that all run faster then the Mini's internal drive and so I use the network for most my stuff. The Mini's hard drive just accepts software updates, or additions. As well, I've bought mine with the super drive, and never use it except to stick a disk in. Sad I use my DVD-+RW DL from another machine over the network.

Then I am working on sticking it in the car, and figure, it will be a hassle to take it out (once more permanent) to upgrade it. If I can at least get its speed maxed, everything else can be plugged in or done over Bluetooth or wi-fi.

That's just my thoughts on it. Smile Sorry if I got a little crazed. Smile Otherwise, the M9 seems nice if you want it to fit the style.
But getting a file server going that can sit in a closet out of site, seems a perfect addition. Then the Mini can revel in its glory outside with the rest of the home and family, while the file server works its butt off. Wink

(Don't tell the machines I said that) Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: