123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel powered Mac mini? (Updated)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
I'm not too happy about this news. Sure Intel mobile chips will be good in iBooks and Powerbooks, but aren't they lagging behind AMD and IBM with everything else. Even the new Dual-Core AMD64 Processors are faster and cheaper than their Intel counterparts.

You might find this brand new article (06-03-2005) an interesting read. It compares AMD, Intel, and Apple with various bench marks. The results might suprise some readers.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read. Thanks for the link!
Texark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a bad move for Apple, but I'll hear Steve out.
Hoffer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm sure not getting a G5 into a PB is a big deal, I think the desktop CPUs have problems too. They may be as fast as Pentiums, but they are also water cooled!! I'm sure if Intel released a water cooled system, it would crush a 2.7 G5.

Wasn't a 3.0 G5 supposed to be out over a year ago? IBM still doesn't have a water cooled 3.0 G5 out.

I think this is a good move. They should have done it when they first released OS X. They could have got all the pain out of the way in one shot.
1GB iPod shuffle
bsnoel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the GHz race is winding down, so we may never see a 3.0 PPC chip. All the Chip makers seem to be focusing on Dual-core technologies. Due to thermal constraints these dual-core chips tend to be clocked a little slower.

I also wonder if IBM sees it's long-term future in a new direction and is starting to direct more and more of their R&D into the Cell processors.

As it stands right now IBM appears to be positioned to become the chip maker for X-Box, Nintendo, and Sony PS-3. That would easily be a bigger money maker for them than Apple, and they may be more inclined to cater to the Game console market in the future.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points Hoffer and bsnoel! I think all of the chipmakers have hit a brick walls. What ever happened to development of the G4? Are you telling me it stalled out at 1.67GHz and IBM can't get it to 2.0GHz?
iLife's a Bitch!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://stevenf.com/mt/archives/2005/06/apple_to_switch.php Laughing
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple store still up. No new products?
bsnoel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:

Perhaps, a clearance sale on all existing G4 & G5 inventory? Laughing
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
xmen65 wrote:

Perhaps, a clearance sale on all existing G4 & G5 inventory? Laughing

I wish!
iLife's a Bitch!
jase

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've gotta say, I'm kinda disappointed in the news.

Not because I think it's a bad move. Apple really had to do something given the slow increases in the G5. Moving to x86 means the whole argument over speed becomes a moot point, and Apple can focus on the merits of OS X versus Windows.

I'm disappointed because this means I won't be buying a new Mac until the x86 machines roll out, and that appears to be a ways off. I've got no short-range purchase to look forward to. Laughing

Oh well, at least my budget will be in better shape!

Looks like my Mini is gonna be with me for quite a while, and it's going to get a lot of use.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:

I'm disappointed because this means I won't be buying a new Mac until the x86 machines roll out, and that appears to be a ways off. I've got no short-range purchase to look forward to. Laughing

I can't see why anyone would buy a new computer until they start shipping with the new Intel processors. I bet Apple is happy they built up a little cash cow with the iPod because computer sales are going to dry up fast. I need to change my signature...Waiting to Intel Powerbooks! Shocked
iLife's a Bitch!
jnewyork

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is video of the keynote going to be available?
jase

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

I can't see why anyone would buy a new computer until they start shipping with the new Intel processors.

It makes me wonder a little bit about the wisdom of releasing the Mini.

If the Mini is aimed at switchers, why release it only to announce a complete change in platforms less than 6 months later? It seems you risk alienating all those people who just made the jump because now their new Minis are part of a dead-end line.

Would it have been wiser to hold on to the Mini design, and release it as the first x86 machine? Small, silent, and fast? Use the WOW factor of the Mini design as a hook to make the platform switch?

I'm not particularly upset myself, because the transition will hopefully be fairly smooth. But if I were Joe User, I'd be annoyed.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know what to think of this! As a long time Mac user the processor debate has been a long and hard battle that has gone along with the Mac loyalty and advocacy. Now with Apple changing to Intel processors it almost feels like a betrayal of all that Apple has touted as a unique part of the Macintosh experience. I feel that there will be a few Mac people that will not like this no matter how good the operating system is and they will start looking for other options, yes even Windows. On the other hand some people will be drawn to Apple do to the Intel processor. I will wait and see how this will work out. The future seems uncertain to me, but based on what Steve Jobs has been able to with Apple since his return pulling Apple out of the grave in 1997 I have to have faith that this is a good thing. I'm still not sure I like it but what the hell does my opinion matter! Wink
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: