123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgato releases EyeTV 2.3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Elgato releases EyeTV 2.3 Reply with quote

Elgato releases EyeTV 2.3
Thursday, July 27, 2006

Elgato has released EyeTV 2.3, an update to the company's video recording software. EyeTV is the software used to power Elgato's EyeTV product line of analog and digital TV input devices. The update features new Front Row integration with access to live TV, recordings, settings, schedules and program guide.

According to the company, "Make way for TV, because we've added one more seat to the Front Row. The Full Screen Menu enables you to sit back and relax while you watch and record television on your Mac as well as browse Front Row. And even if you don't have Front Row installed, the Full Screen Menu works just fine without it."

Other enhancements in the 2.3 update include a full screen menu, support for the Apple Remote, Windows Media exporting, better export speeds with all previously supported formats, and more. EyeTV 2.3 is priced at $80, and is available for download on Elgato's Web site. Existing EyeTV 2 customers can download the update for free.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/504.html
ottmar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this makes the Eye TV ad even more exciting prospect! May have to move my Mac mini into the living room...or perhaps I will wait until the new Intel towers come out Wink
Texark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottmar wrote:
Wow this makes the Eye TV ad even more exciting prospect! May have to move my Mac mini into the living room...or perhaps I will wait until the new Intel towers come out Wink

You're going to put a big tower in your living room? Wink I agree, this EyeTV stuff is getting pretty exciting. I would really like to have the EyeTV 250 or TV Max sitting here with my mini.
arikalish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TVMax came in yesterday and the first thing I did was download the new rev of EyeTV. Here's some first impressions of both:

Good stuff:
TV image Quality on a 27" Sanyo CRT TV is excellent. On an LCD it's at least as good as analog TV on my ATI HDTV Wonder.
Audio routes through to the Mac's digital output without problem.
Tuning takes about 1/2 second.
Integration with TitanTV is top notch.
Interface is pretty good, altho having to hit menu twice on my Apple Remote (haven't put batteries in the Miglia one yet) to get to the program guide is kind of annoying.
TVMax looks great on top of the Mini. I'll probably move it below, but it's good for now.
Found all my TV channels quickly (under 3 minutes for ~80 channels).

The not-so-good:
I get some stutters every once in a while if I pause the TV then jump to Live mode (skipping over what was recorded between when I paused and the present time). The stutters continue for a few minutes but are almost unnoticable.
Text is a bit small on the screen in the program guide and the overlays when the TV is running.
Hitting menu on the Apple Remote when EyeTV is running is supposed to start up the full screen menu... it doesn't work for me. Maybe I need to reassign the Front Row key combo?
Power LED is green and on the opposite side from the Mini's. I have a spare white LED around here somewhere, maybe I'll switch it out (assuming there's enough voltage available).

Other stuff:
Would be nice to have a small live picture while searching the guide (a la Time Warner digital cable boxes)

I haven't tried recording yet, but I have Monday's In the Actors' Studio set to record. I'll report back then.

Oh, I'm running a Mac Mini 1.83 Core Duo (thanks to the guide here) with 2GB G.Skill RAM.

--Ari
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, but it doesn't look like the software actually adds a fifth icon to Front Row. It looks like the software just opens Front Row to get to music, movies, dvd and photos. I've been contemplating buying the EyeTv 250 for a while now. This might get me to jump off the fence.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arikalish wrote:
My TVMax came in yesterday and the first thing I did was download the new rev of EyeTV. Here's some first impressions of both:

Where did you buy it from?

arikalish wrote:
TVMax looks great on top of the Mini. I'll probably move it below, but it's good for now.

That might be a good idea if you are using the Airport.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
ammonkc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started using EyeTV 2.3 with my miglia EvolutionTV on my mac mini. I love the interface. its very user friendly and intuitive.

The only thing that I can't figure out is how to set the hardware encoding to use Divx compression. EvolutionTV is able to do Divx hardware encoding. EyeTV does list evolutiontv as a supported hardware. but I can't figure out how to change the hardware encoding options for recording from mpeg2 to divx.
Anyone know how this can be done? or is the divx encoding just lost when I pair the eyeTV with evolutionTV hardware?

Thanks[/i]
dajdenton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: EyeTv 2.3 Reply with quote

I love the 2.3 frontrow interface (sooo much better than the dual window setup), but there's just one big thing that irks me about it:

When you exit the frontrow mode, you'd expect to see the desktop again (just as you would from frontrow). instead, eyetv flicks back to fullscreen mode, which is a bit inconsistent and really annoying. You then can't exit the fullscreen mode without mouse or keyboard intervention, which kinda spoils the illusion!!

Anyone else get annoyed by this, or is it just me? I've emailed elgato to see if they'll add an option, but would appreciate some support from other unhappy punters to also put in a request...
stonykeys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: EyeTv 2.3 Reply with quote

dajdenton wrote:
When you exit the frontrow mode, you'd expect to see the desktop again (just as you would from frontrow). instead, eyetv flicks back to fullscreen mode, which is a bit inconsistent and really annoying. You then can't exit the fullscreen mode without mouse or keyboard intervention, which kinda spoils the illusion!!

This is the same problem that i've been trying to find an answer to; and the only thing that is stopping me from upgrading my Mac Mini to an Intel one.

There should be a way of using the Apple remote to exit the live tv feed without having to use the mouse or keyboard. Apart from this the new interface is perfect for using the Mac Mini as a media centre.

If anyone has any ideas or knows if this is possible then would love to hear your response.
arikalish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Where did you buy it from?

Apple store online. They pushed back my delivery by a week and a half, though, so beware
blazer wrote:
arikalish wrote:

That might be a good idea if you are using the Airport.

I'm not using Airport at the moment, but Bluetooth range was shortened. The last security update hosed the system, launchd errors, so while I was taking care of that (didn't have to wipe it thank goodness!), I moved the TVMax to the bottom.

I've found that if you hit rewind and let it run 2-3 seconds behind real time, it doesn't skip as I mentioned before.
gboudreau

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ammonkc wrote:
I just started using EyeTV 2.3 with my miglia EvolutionTV on my mac mini. I love the interface. its very user friendly and intuitive.

The only thing that I can't figure out is how to set the hardware encoding to use Divx compression. EvolutionTV is able to do Divx hardware encoding. EyeTV does list evolutiontv as a supported hardware. but I can't figure out how to change the hardware encoding options for recording from mpeg2 to divx.
Anyone know how this can be done? or is the divx encoding just lost when I pair the eyeTV with evolutionTV hardware?

Thanks[/i]

Preferences... > Devices
The Encoding tab has the... well... Encoding options.
I use DivX Home Theater High here (EvolutionTV & Mac Mini G4 1.25GHz).
gboudreau

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and... I was able to trick EyeTV to get me a canadian EPG (faked TitanTV responses using Zap2It EPG data). If any canadian users of EyeTV would like to try it, just msg me.
I detailed what I did on my website here: http://www.pommepause.com/online.html
steve65

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: EyeTV 2.3 - Apple remote Sleep doesnt work Reply with quote

I've got an intel iMac (sorry I know this is a mini forum, I've ordered one as well!) which is used mainly as a media centre with frontrow and eyetv. This works brilliantly and all the family have got the hang of it as an instant on tv and media player. The only slight drawback was having to use a seperate remote for eyetv, so I was looking forward to the Frontrow 'integration'.

Now however with the new version 2.3 you cant put the mac to sleep by holding the play button down on the Apple remote!!!!!.
Effectively eyetv now completely takes over the focus and it is impossible to get out of it without getting the keyboard and mouse out!!!
So I've gone from 2 remotes to 1 remote plus keyboard/mouse

To me this is a major oversight and I will be going back to v2.2 and seperate remotes for the tv and frontrow until they fix it.

Unless of course anyone knows of a way round this?
gboudreau

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: EyeTV 2.3 - Apple remote Sleep doesnt work Reply with quote

steve65 wrote:
... The only slight drawback was having to use a seperate remote for eyetv, so I was looking forward to the Frontrow 'integration'.
Unless of course anyone knows of a way round this?

I'm using a Sony Universal Remote (with learning capabilities) for everything in my living room, including EyeTV (2.3) and FrontRow.

I bought a Keyspan USB remote for the Mac, then 'learned' the codes of the Keyspan IR remote on my Sony Universal remote. I then mapped each key correctly using Keyspan mapper (I mapped most of the remote keys to keystrokes - EyeTV 2.3 help has a list of the keystrokes that can be used to navigate EyeTV fullscreen mode). I also mapped the Power button to an AppleScript which will either close or open the EyeTV software when run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: