123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OWC introduces "Add Your Own SATA Hard Drive Kit"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: OWC introduces "Add Your Own SATA Hard Drive Kit" Reply with quote

OWC introduces "Add Your Own SATA Hard Drive Kit"
Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Other World Computing today introduced an "Add Your Own SATA Hard Drive Kit" version of its Mercury On-The-Go portable bus-powered USB 2.0 and FireWire external storage solutions. The new SATA Kit features the high-performance engineering of the Oxford 924 chipset with one USB 2.0 and two FireWire 800 connections. FireWire 800 is backwards compatible to FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 is backwards compatible to USB 1.1. This allows the On-The-Go to interface with virtually any Mac, PC, or Linux system.

Owners of an Intel-based Mac mini can upgrade their existing stock 2.5" SATA hard drive to a new high capacity 160GB or 120GB HD and utilize the existing factory drive in the "Add Your Own SATA Hard Drive Kit" to create an ideal external storage solution.

All Mercury On-the-Go Solutions come packaged with all necessary Connecting Cables, Carrying Case, an optional use AC Power Adapter, and a One Year OWC Warranty. The "Add Your Own SATA Hard Drive Kit" is priced at $90.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/503.html
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: That's pretty cool. Reply with quote

I do happen to have my old 2.5 drive that I upgraded from. But, $89 seems pretty steep to use my old 60 or 80 gb 5400 drive. :/

On the other hand, it would be virtually silent, which would be nice. It would be cool if the case had some sort of lighting. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for a Mac mini-sized (6.5" x 6.5"), thin (0.75"), dual 2.5" drives, FireWire 400/800 case.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
I'm still waiting for a Mac mini-sized (6.5" x 6.5"), thin (0.75"), dual 2.5" drives, FireWire 400/800 case.

Like a less tall miniStack that holds two 2.5" SATA drives? I guess that would be cool, but why wouldn't you want to use 3.5" drives? They offer more storage and cost less. Are you thinking about heat or do you just want something super small?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the non-SATA version of the Mercury On-The-Go enclosure for a few months now and have been really happy with it. I put my old internal drive in it and use it for backups. The fact that it is bus powered is also nice.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

Like a less tall miniStack that holds two 2.5" SATA drives? I guess that would be cool, but why wouldn't you want to use 3.5" drives? They offer more storage and cost less. Are you thinking about heat or do you just want something super small?

I'm thinking super-small, super-quiet. A Mac mini drive/hub with the same goals as the Mac mini, really. It looks weird to have a drive/hub that's almost the same size as the whole computer. The fact that I got two of these stacked under my Mac mini doesn't help either, but hey, it gives me an additionnal 2 x 250GB of storage and plenty of FW400 and USB2 ports. Very Happy

But the cool drive in my setup is the old Mac mini drive (80GB/4200RPM) that's sitting on top of the Mac mini in an aluminum FW400/USB2 enclosure. I actually have two of these enclosures (one's empty) and it wouldn't be a problem for a company to release a dual-drive Mac mini slim enclosure for 2.5" drives. Hopefully they'd release it with dual compatibility in mind (PATA and SATA) with FW400 and USB2 connectivity.
ecking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll grab one early next year when the 2.5" sata 7200rpm 160 gm hd is out.
Texark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecking wrote:
I'll grab one early next year when the 2.5" sata 7200rpm 160 gm hd is out.

You better be saving up. I bet those suckers are going to be expensive.
johnodd4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: allthough this sounds good Reply with quote

i have only one issue with this inclosure

think about heat all hard drives especially serial ata drives create heat so why place a hard drive in an enclosure madeout of plastic when all it takes is leaving the hard drive on for 24 hours and out of nowhere the plastic melts so not a good design
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: allthough this sounds good Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
i have only one issue with this inclosure

think about heat all hard drives especially serial ata drives create heat so why place a hard drive in an enclosure madeout of plastic when all it takes is leaving the hard drive on for 24 hours and out of nowhere the plastic melts so not a good design

I don't think it's going to melt. Rolling Eyes I'm not sure if it has vents, but most 2.5" drives are going to run warmer in laptops than they do in this thing. Plus, it looks like it has a pretty big heat sink to help keep things cool.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding heat, mine never gets very warm. I run it for several hours at a time in some instances but do not leave it on 24 hours a day. I primarily use it for backups.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
johnodd4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but thats my hole point people will purchase this to use to store and run movies off of a external device and leave this on for hours and hours thats why it concerns me i would rather spend the 49.99 for a usb 2.0 and firewire box at my local computer store and purchase a metal box with a fan built into it so you do not cause hard drive faliure
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrylics are pretty tough these days...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnodd4 wrote:
but thats my hole point people will purchase this to use to store and run movies off of a external device and leave this on for hours and hours thats why it concerns me i would rather spend the 49.99 for a usb 2.0 and firewire box at my local computer store and purchase a metal box with a fan built into it so you do not cause hard drive faliure

Yea, but this is a PORTABLE drive. It's basically designed to run off bus-power and be PORTABLE. It would be a little hard carrying a MiniStack around all day.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
I've been using the non-SATA version of the Mercury On-The-Go enclosure for a few months now and have been really happy with it. I put my old internal drive in it and use it for backups. The fact that it is bus powered is also nice.

Cool! I'm going to order one of these for my 80GB SATA next paycheck. It's a little more expensive than I hoped, but I'm sucker for clear see-through gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: