123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Virtual PC on the Mac Mini...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DellApple

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Using Virtual PC on the Mac Mini... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Well I took the plunge today and upgraded my Mini to 1GB of ram. Actually I paid a techie at CompUSA $30 to do it for me.

Virtual PC Question: I have Version 6.1 with Windows XP Professional.

Should I buy Virtual PC 7 or Virtual PC 7 with Windows XP Professional?

I guess the real question is whether I need to purchase another version of Windows XP?

I need VPC to use BallStat and Strat-O-Matic Baseball on my Mini.

Thanks
Pat
idave

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you'd have to buy another copy of XP, unless you don't own a licensed copy of XP. Are you planning to install VPC 6.1 on your mini or do you have it up and running? If so, how's the performance? It has to be painfully slow right?
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
DellApple

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
I don't see why you'd have to buy another copy of XP, unless you don't own a licensed copy of XP. Are you planning to install VPC 6.1 on your mini or do you have it up and running? If so, how's the performance? It has to be painfully slow right?

VPC 6.1 was very slow although I had 512mb of ram. Hopefully upgrading to 1.0GB of ram with VPC 7.0 will make everything run a tad faster.

Pat
bubba

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VPC 6.1 and 7 are both god awful slow on any single processor G4. No matter how much ram you throw at it, it's going to be slow because of the conversion to x86 instructions. I actually run a windows session fulltime on my linux machine through vmware; linux box has 1GB ram and 384 for Win XP. I then connect to the vmware session over remote desktop from my mac. It's WAY WAY faster than running it via VPC, and its not using resources on my mac. I wouldn't waste my time with a VPC upgrade.
DoFa

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried VPC 7 with my 1.42/1GB otherwise stock mini and it runs like a dog. I went and bought a $25 900mhz Celeron PC at my local Goodwill and plan to get a KVM switch this week. The mini feels like a 200mhz Pentium. For the money you'd spend buying VPC, you could by a nice 1Ghz PC on ebay.

I'm waiting for someone to make a PC with the same form factor as the mini. Would be cool to have both a Mac and PC that took up only 6x6x5" combined!
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoFa wrote:
I have tried VPC 7 with my 1.42/1GB otherwise stock mini and it runs like a dog. I went and bought a $25 900mhz Celeron PC at my local Goodwill and plan to get a KVM switch this week. The mini feels like a 200mhz Pentium. For the money you'd spend buying VPC, you could by a nice 1Ghz PC on ebay.

I'm waiting for someone to make a PC with the same form factor as the mini. Would be cool to have both a Mac and PC that took up only 6x6x5" combined!

Ths sick part is that I already own 5 PC's. Its just I would like to be able to run everything on one machine so that I can sell my PC's.

By the way, they do make small form factor PC's. Although they are not as small as the Mini. I suspect the PC version would be quite expensive if they ever did invent one as small as the mini.
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual PC 7 works very well on the Mini with 1GB of Ram. Loving it!
certsoft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently started looking at emulating a PC on a MAC and found this webpage: http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html

I also found some information regarding VP 7. Apparently there will be an update within the next couple of months to handle some incompatabilities with Tiger.

I did buy Guest PC (http://www.lismoresystems.com/) and installed Win2000 on my mini. It took forever, but it does work, even the USB-serial convertor worked.

Many of our geologist customers use Mac notebooks and we are looking at a way that they can communicate with our seismic equipment in the field. While the data collection and analysis software runs like a dog, the actual configuration program runs tolerably well using the emulator.

Once Microsoft updates VP7 for Tiger I'll go ahead and get that and see if it's any better.
spoonman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certsoft wrote:

I did buy Guest PC (http://www.lismoresystems.com/) and installed Win2000 on my mini. It took forever, but it does work, even the USB-serial convertor worked.

I too, use GuestPC. I find it to be quicker than VPC, but still not lightning fast, but that is the nature of emulation. I did read about this program the other day, the price is good, but I have tried it.

http://www.iemulator.com/
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
DellApple

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at GuestPC and a few others but all the reviews stated the best and fastest was still VirtualPC.
certsoft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the IEmulator website and didn't see anywhere to download a user manual. Having only the marketing BS to go by doesn't inspire me to make a purchase Confused
spoonman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certsoft wrote:
I just looked at the IEmulator website and didn't see anywhere to download a user manual. Having only the marketing BS to go by doesn't inspire me to make a purchase Confused

I agree there!! I would be nice if they would offer a demo that would only run for a week or two so we could try it out first. However, it is only like $24. I have spent more than that on CDs that I never listen to..... Smile So it may be worth the effort for someone to try before they spend a boatload on VPC.

Just a thought.....
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: