123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel powered Mac mini? (Updated)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Intel powered Mac mini? (Updated) Reply with quote

Intel powered Mac mini? (Updated)
Friday June 3, 2005

CNet is reporting that Apple is going to make the switch to Intel. The announcement is expected Monday June 6th at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco, at which Chief Executive Steve Jobs is giving the keynote speech. CNet reports - "Apple has used IBM's PowerPC processors since 1994, but will begin a phased transition to Intel's chips, sources familiar with the situation said. Apple plans to move lower-end computers such as the Mac Mini to Intel chips in mid-2006 and higher-end models such as the Power Mac in mid-2007, sources said."

(Update) Apple officially announced today it will begin offering Macs with Intel processors by June 2006 and will switch its entire product line by the end of 2007. "Our goal is to provide our customers with the best personal computers in the world, and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor roadmap by far," said Steve Job’s Apple’s CEO. "It's been ten years since our transition to the PowerPC, and we think Intel's technology will help us create the best personal computers for the next ten years." Apple also announced the next major upgrade to Mac OS X is code-named "Leopard" and will be released in late 2006 or early 2007.

WWDC 2005 Keynote Address Video

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/314.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!! I can see it now a TV commercial for the Mac Mini followed by the infamous Intel tune and the logo "Intel inside"! Confused As a long time Mac user I find this a little difficult to accept! I don't feel so good! Crying or Very sad
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way! I wonder what this does to any mini updates between now and 2006? Could this switch to Intel have anything to do with the next generation gaming consoles? Maybe Apple is a afraid IBM won't be able to keep up production. There goes the Cell! Crying or Very sad
zimmerman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mean OS X will be ported to X86! Hello Dell, HP, Gateway, and eMachines... Mad
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
OMG!!! I can see it now a TV commercial for the Mac Mini followed by the infamous Intel tune and the logo "Intel inside"! Confused As a long time Mac user I find this a little difficult to accept! I don't feel so good! Crying or Very sad

If you think that's bad, wait till you see the Intel inside sticker plastered on the front. Monday should be real interesting!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
FishKepr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Marvin the Android said it best: "I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed."

So much for my 'business partner' discount...
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know why Apple didn't have a cow over AOpen's Pandora. Can Intel make a PPC chip or does IBM and Motorola own the rights/patent?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
Now I know why Apple didn't have a cow over AOpen's Pandora.

I was thinking the same. Could something like AOpen's box be the next generation mini?
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
idave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
castaway wrote:
Now I know why Apple didn't have a cow over AOpen's Pandora.

I was thinking the same. Could something like AOpen's box be the next generation mini?

Yep. The Mac mini's port configuration could end up like the mini PC versions with the same motherboard and chipset. I'm sure the case will be styled different, god help us. The biggest question is… How is Intel going to protect OS X from being run on other Wintel machines? Are they going to have protection at the chip level or run some sort of emulation? Could this mean Apple is getting out of the hardware business in general and taking OS X to the PC. Monday should be fun! Wink
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Not bad news Reply with quote

I don't think that Apple switching to Intel processors is bad news.

What makes Apple so enticing to it's loyal followers is not the CPU. What constitutes Apple's strengths are Apple's top notch industrial designs, tightly integrated hardware, and of course the beauty, security, and stability of Mac OS X. As long as Apple maintains it's tight control of hardware integration, then none of these fundamental strengths will change regardless of the CPU inside. Just because a Mac has an Intel processor, does not mean it’s just another PC.

Yes, this change in direction will cause a bump in the road while software packages get recompiled for x86. However, think of the positives. Lower cost processors should translate to lower cost Macs. Finally, faster and cooler running PowerBooks with 64-bit processors. Also, affordable Dual-Core CPUs, PCI-Express Bus and Graphics, to name a few more.

I think the driving force behind this switch is the fact that Apple cannot deliver a G5 Powerbook, that runs cool with good battery life. How many of you here have noted that Laptops have recently started to outsell desktops. The Personal Computer market is moving toward affordable laptops So, if this "rumor" is true, then I think Apple is making a smart move to remain a player in the highly important laptop market.

Last edited by bsnoel on Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
idave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said!

No doubt the Laptop market is the driving force behind this. I think Apple sees IBM has no clear road path for improving mobility and battery life with the G5.

Last edited by idave on Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
The biggest question is… How is Intel going to protect OS X from being run on other Wintel machines? Are they going to have protection at the chip level or run some sort of emulation? Could this mean Apple is getting out of the hardware business in general and taking OS X to the PC. Monday should be fun! Wink

Good point. I would think this would be fairly easy to accomplish. Apple and Intel could easily add a hardware tag or "dongle" into the CPUs that Intel fabricates for Apple and / or add something into the ROM on Apple machines. If they did this, then they could just prevent OS X from booting if it does not find the correct set of circumstances.
idave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like a geek's soap opera.... Laughing

I would love to be at the Keynote!
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too happy about this news. Sure Intel mobile chips will be good in iBooks and Powerbooks, but aren't they lagging behind AMD and IBM with everything else. Even the new Dual-Core AMD64 Processors are faster and cheaper than their Intel counterparts.
JahTS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's not a Celeron! This is good news for a computer like the Mac mini but not so much for Apple's prosumer systems. Putting the megahertz myth to rest with other entry level systems is a big plus for the mini. How many entry level Dells have DVI, Firewire, and dedicated video?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: