123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth Mighty Mouse? [Updated:]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth Mighty Mouse? [Updated:] Reply with quote

Bluetooth Mighty Mouse?
Monday, July 24, 2006
Posted by: Brian

DailyTech is reporting that Apple has submitted a filing with the FCC for a Bluetooth version of its Mighty Mouse. "The new Mighty Mouse uses two standard AA batteries and will be compatible with OS X 10.4.6 and later. No release date is set for the new Bluetooth Mighty Mouse -- currently codenamed M6, but judging from the FCC filing, the new mouse should arrive soon," writes Tuan Nguyen for DailyTech. We normally don't report on rumors, but the thought of having a Bluetooth version of the Mighty Mouse sitting next to my Apple Wireless Keyboard has me excited.

Update: Apple Releases Wireless Mighty Mouse
Tuesday, July 25 - Apple today introduced the wireless Mighty Mouse, a new version of its popular multi-button mouse, now with the added freedom that only wireless connectivity can provide. The new wireless Mighty Mouse offers a reliable, secure connection to Macs and features a new laser tracking engine that is 20 times more sensitive than standard optical mice for better tracking on even more surfaces. Priced at $69, Apple’s wireless Mighty Mouse includes up to four independently programmable buttons and an ingenious Scroll Ball that lets users scroll in any direction.

“We cut the cord on our popular Mighty Mouse to give consumers even more flexibility when using a Mac,” said David Moody, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide Mac Product Marketing. “A Bluetooth-enabled Mac desktop with an Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse is the ideal cable-free setup at home or in the office, and the wireless Mighty Mouse is the perfect travel companion for the MacBook user on the go.”

The wireless Mighty Mouse is a Bluetooth 2.0 based multi-button mouse that retains the simplicity of a single-button mouse, and can be used as a single- or multi-button mouse depending on the user’s preference. The wireless Mighty Mouse features a single seamless enclosure with programmable touch sensors that act as primary or secondary buttons. With a simple click on the upper right or left side of the mouse, users can instantly access features such as contextual menus found in Mac OS X and other applications. The wireless Mighty Mouse’s two other buttons are activated by pressing its Scroll Ball and squeezing its sides, and can be easily programmed to give users one-click access to Mac OS X “Tiger” features such as Spotlight, Dashboard and Exposé™, or to launch any application such as Safari or iChat.

The wireless Mighty Mouse features an easy-to-use design that comfortably fits the left or right hand. It also includes an advanced power management system that automatically switches to low power modes during inactivity, and an off switch to maintain battery life while not in use. Ready to use out of the box, the wireless Mighty Mouse works with either one or two AA batteries.

Pricing & Availability
The wireless Mighty Mouse is available immediately through the Apple Store, at Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $69 (US). The wireless Mighty Mouse easily connects to the latest Macs with built-in Bluetooth wireless technology, and requires Mac OS X “Tiger” version 10.4.6 or later to customize buttons for one-click access to Spotlight, Dashboard and Exposé or to launch applications.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/502.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:19 am; edited 7 times in total
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they'll improve the performance of the scrolling ball? Many users are reporting it's getting non-responsive through (presumably) grime getting into the mechanism and there's no guaranteed way to clean it.

Afer the filing how long would you reckon to delivery?

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the only thing left are those horrendous side buttons.. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

And the scroll ball! I hope they both feel better than the wired Mighty Mouse or I'll be passing.
bwanac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only good for Tiger... thats not a smart move. That has to be wrong.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

And the scroll ball! I hope they both feel better than the wired Mighty Mouse or I'll be passing.
Yeah I don't really like the scroll ball either. I prefer the scroll wheel more.
Actually I don't like the Mighty Mouse altogether. Smile
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely going to get one of these. Even though I probably Control-click more than two-finger right-click, I've gotten very used to the two-finger omnidirectional scrolling on my MacBook trackpad.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Apple doesn't get greedy and overcharge for this thing. There's no reason why they should charge more than they do for wireless pro mouse. I was all set on buying the Macally BT mouse a few months ago and never was able to get one. I've been looking at a few of the RadTechs instead. They have a sweet looking mouse called the BT600.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT600.aspx
splen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Yeah I don't really like the scroll ball either. I prefer the scroll wheel more.
Actually I don't like the Mighty Mouse altogether. Smile

I actually like the scrollball, I know I'm probably in the minority here but there it is. I'm with you on the side buttons though, can't stand them. It just feels so un-natural to me. I have heard that bluetooth mice in general are quite un responsive, that is really the only thing which has stopped me from buying one! is it true? cos I would really like a decent and reliable wireless mouse!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splen wrote:
I have heard that bluetooth mice in general are quite un responsive, that is really the only thing which has stopped me from buying one! is it true? cos I would really like a decent and reliable wireless mouse!

There can be a little lag with BT mice, but it's not too bad. I definitely wouldn't recommend one for gaming. I would go the Logitech route again myself, but I don't want one of those ugly external receivers anymore.

On another note, it would be great if Apple had to file all their products like this with the FCC. Laughing
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I notice lag with mine is for a few seconds coming out of sleep or after a reboot or shutdown.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for any mouse that Apple has ever came out with. I'm glad that they are still making advancements, but I'll pass.

I'm happy with my M$ Lasermouse 6000.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
The only time I notice lag with mine is for a few seconds coming out of sleep or after a reboot or shutdown.

What about on the first movement after the mouse has been sitting still for a few seconds?
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really never noticed any, but I'll double check it tomorrow.
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not do it right, have a recharging dock and say good-bye to AA's!

Serpent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: