123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three things to make the Mac mini even better?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psece wrote:
1. 3.5 inch drive - Nothing compares to the speed or upgradeability.

2. eSATA - For off loading video, music, etc.

3. discrete video card - preferably a nVidia 7600gs with Pure Video

Yeeeee HA! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psece wrote:

2. eSATA - For off loading video, music, etc.

I wouldn't mind having eSATA now and one of those LaCie Two BIG 1TB hard drives. That would rock!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
jthawke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

I agree at least 100% (not possible to agree more, but I would) . . . we need the Cube again. I had one, just before they were discontinued, and if they were a little more upgradable I would have kept it. Best Mac I've ever owned. I like my G4 mini but I'm ready for something new . . . unfortunately, Apple doesn't have a single computer available right now that I would buy to replace my mini. The new minis just aren't enough computer for my needs and the Pros are the Cadillac Esclalade of machines (my humble opinion, of course). Give me a medium form factor, 2Ghz processor, room for 4 GB memory, decent GPU, full size HD and I'm the first in line at the Apple Store.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
I agree at least 100% (not possible to agree more, but I would) . . . we need the Cube again. [...] Give me a medium form factor, 2Ghz processor, room for 4 GB memory, decent GPU, full size HD and I'm the first in line at the Apple Store.

Indeed. The return of the Cube, i.e. a mix between the Mac mini form factor (same size only taller, i.e. a cube) with the specs of an iMac (including GPU and 3.5" drive). And maybe a small part of upgradability of a Mac Pro (PCI-X-whatever graphic card slot).

With my luck, Apple will change the form factor of the Mac mini in january and I'll have to make yet another version of the CinnaMount. Wink
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
Change the AC input to a MagSafe connection. Mine connection always seemes loose.
And you want to make it *worse*?

My mini's power connection is solid compared to the MagSafe. I've had the power connector fall out of my Macbook Pro half a dozen times and I've had it less than a month. The whole point to MagSafe is to make it *easier* to pull loose, because Apple doesn't seem to be able to make a decent barrel connector.
Quote:
Include an Apple keyboard and Mighty mouse. Every computer should come with a freaking keyboard.
No computer should come with an Apple keyboard or mouse. Apple must hate people with RSI.

Now if they included a Microsoft Optical mouse, that'd be cool. The basic Microsoft Optical is about the best wheel mouse I've ever found.
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
Hm, realistically, I'd just ask Apple to put in a real video card.
Yeh, even a Radeon X200 with integrated memory would kick the GMA950's nasty butt.

But making it big enough for a 3.5" drive and better cooling would be a major win.
orig_club_soda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Indeed. The return of the Cube

Heh - I have a Cube and I like the M'mini much better. If only Apple would go back to a regular videocard. I haven't really stared at my to M'minis to see the physical difference inside, but I think Apple can do it in the same form factor. Maybe the issue is the sata drive.

Anyway, I think a larger form factor defeats the purpose and most of these "power" improvements defeat the purpose of the low cost Mac. What you guys ar really asking for is a modified desktop model. Besides making the RAM more accessable and adding more multimedia features, anything else is not a Mac mini.

I think several commenters are right when they suggest keeping the under $500 model.
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

I think there needs to be a whole new device right smack in the middle. Not a souped up Mini or a dumbed down Mac Pro.

That's what the iMac is for. Wink
I haven't bought an "all in one" computer since the original 128k Mac and I'm not about to start now.

Even something like the Performa 475 or NeXT Slab form factor would be fine, just so long as it's got:

1X PCIEx16
1X 3.5" bay
1X 5.25" bay
2X DDR2 memory slots
Socketed CPU

Room for cooling so they don't have to clamp the power so far you need an external hub to charge your iPod Shuffle Razz
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

orig_club_soda wrote:
What you guys ar really asking for is a modified desktop model.
That's right. We want an affordable desktop Mac. Like the Mac mini, you know. If you want an entertainment center device get a Tivo.
orig_club_soda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
orig_club_soda wrote:
That's right. We want an affordable desktop Mac. Like the Mac mini, you know. If you want an entertainment center device get a Tivo.

Yikes. Didnt mean to piss you off... The Mac mini is not part of the desktop line. Its a stand alone base configuration. The feature people are asking for are available in desktop line - except for the form factor.
Tuishimi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

orig_club_soda wrote:
resuna wrote:
orig_club_soda wrote:

Yikes. Didnt mean to piss you off... The Mac mini is not part of the desktop line. Its a stand alone base configuration. The feature people are asking for are available in desktop line - except for the form factor.

Yes, this is true. I think the conversation evolved more from a "what would you want in a mini" to "what should Apple add to the lineup." Smile

It's fun to speculate... I think we all wonder what will be coming out of August.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

orig_club_soda wrote:
The Mac mini is not part of the desktop line.
There are only two kinds of personal computers in the world. Laptop, and desktop. The Mac mini is not a laptop. There is no third option.

(unless you want to argue that it's a PDA or something. Smile )
Quote:
The feature people are asking for are available in desktop line - except for the form factor.
"Not having a monitor built in" is part of the 'features', not part of the 'form factor'.
orig_club_soda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

"There are only two kinds of personal computers in the world. Laptop, and desktop. The Mac mini is not a laptop. There is no third option."

The Mac mini is not part of the desktop line. ...Apparrently you have never looked at the computer PRODUCT LINES at Apple.com. MacBooks, Mac Books Pro, iMacs, Power Macs (desktops - look - its the only one in that category), and Mac mini. I never said it was a "type" of computer.

The features people are asking for are available in desktop line - except for the form factor. The form factor, the case, is a feature. The case has always been a feature with Apple. It has always offered several varieties. And the Mac mini was never part of Apple's desktop line.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

orig_club_soda wrote:
The Mac mini is not part of the desktop line. ...Apparrently you have never looked at the computer PRODUCT LINES at Apple.com.... ....And the Mac mini was never part of Apple's desktop line.

Ummm...I know we are arguing semantics here that in the great scheme of things really matter little but for your reference; http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/

If for some reason we need to take a vote; I'll go with desktop for that is where my mini sits most comfortable. Now back to those features we were dreaming of...
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Cube Reply with quote

The Mac mini is a desktop computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: