123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance options of more hard drive capacity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jozey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Performance options of more hard drive capacity Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering what was the fastest performer when increasing storage capacity for my mini now that i have a near redundant PC Laughing

Options:

Stuff more hard drives into old PC and SMB them to mini (My iTunes library is like this, 90GB)
Buy a Firewire expansion box
Buy a USB2 expansion box (i think this is slowest)
Buy some Network Attached Storage

I really want to understand which option is the fastest for file transfer and access. Note i currently access the net through my PC via the cat5e cable.

Thanks for thoughts.
J
[/list][/list]
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your fastest option will be an external firewire drive. Connecting via ethernet (LAN), or USB wouldn't work fast enough for you. Firewire will provide you with a fast connection, direct transfer of files and a second bootable drive provided you get one with a chip set that supports it. Take a look through this forum there are a number of topics that talk about external firewire drives. Alot of good info here.

Good Luck!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jase

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kinda depends what your priorities are.

If speed is the biggest issue, a firewire enclosure with a fast hard drive will probably give you the best performance. I just added one to my Mini, and it does run quite a bit quicker than the internal drive. USB seems to be a little slower than Firewire, but it's still adequate.

On the other hand, if speed isn't so important, adding hard drives to an existing pc and using SMB (or using a NAS box) might be nice. It wouldn't be as fast, but would keep your Mini setup sleek and quiet since the hard drive(s) wouldn't be sitting right next to the Mini. If noise or space is your biggest priority, this might be the better option.
zimmerman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go the FireWire route over USB.

http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html
Jozey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. It sounds like FW is the leader from the responses. I just completed importing my Thunderbird mailboxes via my SMB link and it was indeed slowwww. Fine for itunes streaming though.

Interesting comment about FW being faster than the internal drive. I understand the interface was regular ATA100, but uses a 2.5" low rpm drive. I guess going FW gives me a faster drive over a theoretical 400mb/s link.

I'll trawl the forums. I like Seagate drives....

Thanks
J
rcornia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked up a Maxtor 250GB external FireWire HD and it is much faster. It has the option to create a Bootable Startup Disk (which I use) and the system is much faster - probably 2-5 times faster on most tasks. The USB model is not bootable. I was considering spending around $100 on 1 Gig. of RAM, but, now I doubt I will because it is so much faster than before (although I'm a widget hog so the extra RAM might be nice). Anyway, another vote for FireWire.
MacPredict.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jozey wrote:
Thanks everyone. It sounds like FW is the leader from the responses. I just completed importing my Thunderbird mailboxes via my SMB link and it was indeed slowwww. Fine for itunes streaming though.

Well the mini doesn't have gigabit networking (and maybe your PC doesn't either?), so that's what you'd expect. For itunes streaming you'd only need to be able to transfer about 1MB/min, so even 10Mb ethernet should cover that.
Jozey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacPredict.com wrote:
Jozey wrote:

Well the mini doesn't have gigabit networking (and maybe your PC doesn't either?), so that's what you'd expect. For itunes streaming you'd only need to be able to transfer about 1MB/min, so even 10Mb ethernet should cover that.

Another thought was that since i'm sharing my net access through the mini's 10/100 port. If i try to also do file transfers to my PC over the same physical link, i will be reducing the perfromance eg. Net surfing/email and lintening to my itunes and trying to do do any SMB sharing eg. iphoto. Sounds like i'm better off serperating my video/photo's onto a big fat FW drive. I just did not realise how lower perfromance the internal or SMB file transferring is compared to a FW drive.

Again Thanks
Jozey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: