123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OWC offers 160GB SATA Hard Drives

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
admin
Site Admin


Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 2169
Location: U.S.A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: OWC offers 160GB SATA Hard Drives Reply with quote

OWC offers 160GB SATA Hard Drives
Thursday, July 13, 2006

Other World Computing today began shipping its 160GB 5400RPM 8MB Buffer Internal Hard Drive Upgrades for the Apple Mac mini, MacBook and MacBook Pro, offering 33% more capacity than the largest factory installed options (up to 120GB) currently available. OWC began stocking the latest, fastest 160GB SATA upgrade options at the top of the week, but elected to hold its official release announcement until enough stock was on hand to meet the anticipated high demand for this new high-performance, high-capacity HD upgrade. The new 2.5" 160GB SATA hard drives are priced at $279.



http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/500.html


Last edited by admin on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:17 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5387
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a month late and a dollar short. I bought myself a 120GB Seagate a few weeks ago. Hopefully these will start to come down in price for you guys still looking around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zen.state
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Posts: 21
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its still a 5400. I put a 7200 in my mini and it screams now.
_________________
Sawtooth - 1.8 GHz G4 7448 - 2 GB - 2 TB - Leopard
Sawtooth - 1 GHz G4 7455 - 2 GB - 4.3 TB - OpenBSD - Leopard
24" S-PVA LCD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 18 Aug 2005
Posts: 541
Location: Quebec, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: SATA Reply with quote

Well, it's a nice option for those with an Intel Mac mini, but as a PowerPC Mac mini owner I couldn't use that drive.

Oh well, I'll just have to use my two 3.5" external 250GB/7200RPM drives instead, I guess... Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Texark
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 358
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: SATA Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Well, it's a nice option for those with an Intel Mac mini, but as a PowerPC Mac mini owner I couldn't use that drive.

Oh well, I'll just have to use my two 3.5" external 250GB/7200RPM drives instead, I guess... Wink


You can buy the Parallel ATA version of the same drive on Newegg for around $85 less. I wasn't able to find the SATA version on their site to compare prices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146200
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 18 Aug 2005
Posts: 541
Location: Quebec, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: SATA Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:
Well, it's a nice option for those with an Intel Mac mini, but as a PowerPC Mac mini owner I couldn't use that drive.

Oh well, I'll just have to use my two 3.5" external 250GB/7200RPM drives instead, I guess... Wink


You can buy the Parallel ATA version of the same drive on Newegg for around $85 less. I wasn't able to find the SATA version on their site to compare prices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146200


The PATA is 195$ USD = 220.72$CAD. I paid about 100$CAD for my last 3.5"/7200RPM 250GB drive. So even if one adds a NewerTech empty enclosure (about 100$CAD), you end up paying about 20$CAD less for a faster drive and almost 100GB more storage. Of course it doesn't fit in the mini, but the Mac mini is so small to begin with, even adding a NewerTech enclosure doesn't make it square, height-wise. You also get more USB and FireWire ports in the process.

More speed, more storage, USB+FireWire hub for 20$CAD less in exchange for having my Mac mini 1.75 inches higher on my desk? I'll take it, especially since I don't have to open my Mac mini to do it!


Last edited by Yvan256 on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 2173
Location: Columbus, WI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm a month late and a dollar short. I bought myself a 120GB Seagate a few weeks ago. Hopefully these will start to come down in price for you guys still looking around.

I feel your pain! I would've jump at the chance to buy one of these for my MacBook. Sad
_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ecking
Member
Member


Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when is 7200rpm version expected?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5387
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecking wrote:
when is 7200rpm version expected?

Seagate has the 2.5" 160GB Momentus 7200.2 7200rpm drive coming out in early 2007. I'm sure Hitachi will have one around the same time or shortly thereafter.

iMav wrote:
I feel your pain! I would've jump at the chance to buy one of these for my MacBook.

We are late early adopters. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecking
Member
Member


Joined: 12 Nov 2005
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
ecking wrote:
when is 7200rpm version expected?

Seagate has the 2.5" 160GB Momentus 7200.2 7200rpm drive coming out in early 2007. I'm sure Hitachi will have one around the same time or shortly thereafter.


Nice! Thanks you just saved me from buying one of these for the macbook I'm getting soon. I'll just limp along on 60gb until early next year. Now my external drive is gonna start seeing some serious use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.