123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External HD - Will it Speed up the mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jase

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enclosure quality is excellent. The only visibile plastic is the power switch on the back. The rest is entirely aluminum, and matches very closely with the finish on the Mini.

Aesthetically, it's sharp. The seams and gaps are all uniform. It looks crisp and professional. There are screws that hold it in the base shown in the pic, so it doesn't rock or sit loosely in it. The entire enclosure is solid. No flex, no wiggle. Good fit and finish.

The hard drive was fairly easy to install. There are four screws required to slide the center drive cage out of the aluminum enclosure. The drive mounts down using another four screws. Standard IDE and power connectors, with adequate room to connect them. And then it slides back in, and the original four screws go back into place. It's really not any harder than installing a hard drive in a pc case. Same basic process.

The enclosure doesn't have a fan. That means it'll be as silent as the drive you put in it. Unfortunately, I'm finding my Maxtor is a noisy drive, nowhere near as quiet as the Seagate Barracudas I'm used to using. The enclosure never gets hot, though it did get warm after a 45 minute clone of the internal drive to the firewire drive. Not warm enough to be concerned about, though. And still cooler than the 160gig Western Digital USB drive I use as a backup.

Ok, subjectively, the system is quicker with the external drive. "Snappier" is the word everyone likes to throw around. Wink Applications load faster. Drive intensive things like copying files are obviously quicker. But... it doesn't make the entire system faster. Once the application is loaded, it's still a G4 Mini, not a G5 Powermac.

The question at this point for me is whether the quicker performance is worth the increased noise associated with the Maxtor drive. I guess I'll give it a week or so and see.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
The question at this point for me is whether the quicker performance is worth the increased noise associated with the Maxtor drive. I guess I'll give it a week or so and see.

Excellent review! I decided not to boot off my miniMate because of the noise associated with the drive. I was soft of looking for another enclosure to be able to transport between work and home. Are there any indicator lights on the enclosure?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
jase

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:

Excellent review! I decided not to boot off my miniMate because of the noise associated with the drive. I was soft of looking for another enclosure to be able to transport between work and home. Are there any indicator lights on the enclosure?

Thanks!

Yes, there's a single bright blue LED indicator light located at the top on the front side, right behind the grille. The light glows through the grille. It is on solid when the drive is powered up, and flashes accordingly when the drive is accessed. It doesn't match the Mini's white light, but coincidentally matches the blue LED on the volume control for my Logitech Z3 speakers.

It looks like the LED would be easy to swap for anyone who wanted to try and match the Mini's white one.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behind the grill! Cool

Edit: Did you plant one of your Apple stickers on the side on the enclosure? Very Happy I've been looking for a place to put one!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
jase

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:

Edit: Did you plant one of your Apple stickers on the side on the enclosure? Very Happy I've been looking for a place to put one!

Laughing No, I didn't... but that's not a bad idea. I've been looking for a place to put those too.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey check this deal out. Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive for $69.00! Not sure it will last long!

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=519270
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Hey check this deal out. Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive for $69.00! Not sure it will last long!

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=519270

Now how will i fit that in my mini? Its internal.
jase

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:

Now how will i fit that in my mini? Its internal.

External enclosure...
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant for use in an enclosure. Looks they are sold out already! Sad
sincil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received an external firewire enclosure today with an 80GB Maxtor 7200 drive in it.

I installed Tiger on it fresh and it copied over my Apps and User files when it restarted - I didn't realise it would give me the option of this, so this saved some time. Took about an hour to copy 68GB from the mini's internal drive. I then erased the internal drive of the Mini and am now keeping all my movies on it!

Performance has noticeably improved in general operation. Liking it a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: