123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opening the MicroNet miniMate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Opening the MicroNet miniMate Reply with quote

Opening the MicroNet miniMate
Tuesday May 24, 2005

Brendan, a member of our forums has posted some pictures and information on how to open the Micronet miniMate. With the miniMate's case open you'll be able to upgrade or change out the internal 3.5-inch hard drive. The bottom of the miniMate is very similar to the bottom of the Mac mini's case and only requires a small screwdriver to open it. So there is no need for a putty knife this time! Brendan - "Insert small screwdriver into the vent and hook the small tab seen in the next photo. Push outward on the screwdriver while pulling apart the unit and repeat on the other side." Another tip is to make sure you route the wires around an internal post before pressing the two halves of the miniMate's case back together. This will prevent them from getting crimped or damaged.

We posted our initial impressions of the miniMate a few weeks ago and are working on a full review. It should be noted that opening the miniMate will void its warranty.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/309.html
adavis

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Careful Reply with quote

Although it is a lot easier to get the miniMate open than the Macmini, it is easy to damage the miniMate. The plastic tabs are part of a pretty thin piece of plastic (has the vent holes) and the plastic can easily crack (although it won't create a real problem unless it cracks on both sides of tab, then tab is gone).
I was disappointed with the noise and vibration of the miniMate, so I pulled the drive and use it as a hub. If I am correct, the drive performance is limited by the Firewire 400 connection. If so, why it would be nice to have a 2.5" drive in there to keep things quiet.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the vibration is worse than the noise. The noise is not that bad once you get use to it. But it does stick out like a sore thumb compared to the mini's relative silence. Is there a way to make the drive spin down with some kind of firmware upgrade? It runs all the time!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the hard drive in mine with a Maxtor 200G. It is definitely quieter than the supplied WD. The WS seemed to emit a constant annoying whine. The Maxtor has a much quieter whirring sound
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brendan! I'll think I'll wait until the MacPower M9-DX will be available, which is designed to put your own drive in AND (Very important) "Smart power switch - M9 will power up and down in tandem with your Mac Mini automatically (no need to turn on/off power)" Very Happy I will put my 160 GB, 7200 rpm/8 mb cache Hitachi drive which is reasonable silent, but also has a strong tendency to resonate (which drive doesn't?). I have a thick black rubbery foam under it, which works like a charm, but looks like shit. Confused
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T. Kirkę wrote:
I have a thick black rubbery foam under it, which works like a charm, but looks like shit. Confused

Is the drive in an enclosure surrounded by the foam? I'm sure its quiet but doesn't it get hot?
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
James T. Kirkę wrote:
I have a thick black rubbery foam under it, which works like a charm, but looks like shit. Confused

Is the drive in an enclosure surrounded by the foam? I'm sure its quiet but doesn't it get hot?

No, it is just a metal box, with a sheet of of metal working as a spring at one side, at the other side the connections. It is nice but not at all matching the Mac mini.It sits on top of a external DVD-RW drive, which sits on the foam, not an ideal situation.

~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T. Kirkę wrote:
(Very important) "Smart power switch - M9 will power up and down in tandem with your Mac Mini automatically (no need to turn on/off power)" Very Happy

That is a nice feature. The power button on the Minimate is hard to find and press. It's even worse than the Mac mini's power button. Shocked
EyeTV 250 Plus
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: