123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AOpen Mac Mini Look-Alike
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jase

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess maybe I'm closer to the target market for the AOpen Mini-lookalike.

I bought the Mini primarily because of its size, and because it runs almost silently. OS X wasn't a big draw for me. I like it. It's very nice. But I'm also completely satisfied with Linux as well for my purposes as well. Either OS will work just fine for what I need.

I just got tired of big, noisy boxes. The Mini was the first system that solved both of those problems, so I bought it. And I'm incredibly happy with it.

This little AOpen box might allow me to do exactly the same thing, but with Linux instead. I certainly wouldn't replace the Mini, but it might make a nice complimentary system.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
I just got tired of big, noisy boxes. The Mini was the first system that solved both of those problems, so I bought it. And I'm incredibly happy with it.

I think we've all become spoiled with the mini's silence. Doesn't every computer seem "really" noisy now! It'll be interesting to see what Pandora's final specs are. I hate to say it but the Pentium M is a pretty nice chip with a ton of level 2 cache.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
idave

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
I guess maybe I'm closer to the target market for the AOpen Mini-lookalike.

I bought the Mini primarily because of its size, and because it runs almost silently. OS X wasn't a big draw for me. I like it. It's very nice. But I'm also completely satisfied with Linux as well for my purposes as well. Either OS will work just fine for what I need.

This little AOpen box might allow me to do exactly the same thing, but with Linux instead. I certainly wouldn't replace the Mini, but it might make a nice complimentary system.

I'm not big on Windows or Linux, but I'm a sucker for new technology. Very Happy
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
ihatewindowsbashers

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: The Mac-Mini sucks Reply with quote

Here's why:

1.25GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Combo drive
DVI or VGA video output
AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth optional

And let's get one thing clear Mac OS X is UNIX. You're paying $500 for a cheap POS that barely has any power (read 1.25 GHz and 256MB DDR333 SDRAM). I could build a better PC put Linux or ever (gasp) Windows and not pay for anything. The nice thing about Microsoft is MSDN which my school has (XP Pro for free? Yes!, and it's legal). Oh and here's another thing, in 10+ years of working on the Windows platform, 6 of which were spent programming I've only seen the BSOD once, and it was on Windows ME (which is the only Windows that I'll say sucks). Windows isn't that bad, if you know what you're doing. Plus the sheer amount of good, quality software is rivaled only by Linux. I hate the Mac (sadly I've used it before) and the way it is setup is illogical, nonsensical, and poorly done. I hate not being able to upgrade, the fact that almost every piece of software costs you money, and it's poor support. I'll stick with "Wintel" because it's higher quality, and if there is something wrong it doesn't cost me much to fix it.

There's a reason why Windows and Linux are favored over Mac. They are poor as gaming machines, poor as servers, and Linux beats it for work. They may have graphics (maybe...).
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Well back to the subject at hand! Confused It will be interesting to see how it messures up as far as specs vs cost. I might concider one to to play with some flavor of Linux on it, but I have a hunch that it won't last long once Apple Legal gets rolling.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jase

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:

I'm not big on Windows or Linux, but I'm a sucker for new technology. Very Happy

Smile Well, there's always that, too...
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:

Just like my Mac mini 2nd generation concept the Pandora has no modem, horizontal USB ports, and Audio-in. Does anyone know what the exact dimensions are?

15 cm by 15 cm by 5 cm. That's a tad smaller than the mini! There is more information about the machine in a new press release. Like it has YPbPr connectors.

http://club.aopen.com.tw/news/News_ShowAnswer.aspx?RecNo=8387&Language=English
andp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
O.K. Well back to the subject at hand! Confused It will be interesting to see how it messures up as far as specs vs cost. I might concider one to to play with some flavor of Linux on it, but I have a hunch that it won't last long once Apple Legal gets rolling.

Do you think Apple legal will prevail and be able to stop them from releasing Pandora? It sounds like Intel and Microsoft have flexed some muscle behind the scenes and may be offering AOpen some on the QT cover. Even though Pandora is a blatant rip off of the mini it's not 100% same. It has different ports, case, front power button, and internal architecture. Is Apple going to sue the makers of the miniMate and M9 because the case looks the same?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:

Do you think Apple legal will prevail and be able to stop them from releasing Pandora?

I'm not sure it matters. Based on some of the previous discussion regarding why people purchased the mini I'm not sure that the Pandora's target audience will be exactly the same. I would expect more gadget freaks or people looking to use it for specialized purposes. I don't see how it would appeal to the run-of-the-mill PC user happily existing in a Windows environment. Small PCs have been around for a while now.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
senn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear the Pandora users now. The hard drive is too slow. The Video card won't run Avalon in Longhorn. VGA output is dim and dark. Not enough USB ports. Laughing

Meanwhile the 2nd generation Mac mini will break new ground and continue to set the standard. Intel and Microsoft will freak out and and pay off some vendor you never heard of to make another mini clone. Can't we all just get along!
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandora with Linux, uh, oh; Pandora with MS Windows: Pandora box opened! Razz
But a Mac mini is "A saucerful of secrets"! (if you know your Pink Floyd) Very Happy
Anyway, I like the TFT screen next to it, anybody knows which one it is???
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
senn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like see the inside of Pandora and how they designed the case to be opened. It would be cool to have thumbscews or clips instead of using a putty knife.
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senn wrote:
I'd like see the inside of Pandora and how they designed the case to be opened. It would be cool to have thumbscews or clips instead of using a putty knife.

Oooh, you know how dangerous it is to open Pandora's box!! Twisted Evil

What you probably see is a Intel processor and a mini motherboard and basically the same stuff as a Mac mini, without the cool PowerPC processor Exclamation Laughing
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware.info posted some new pictures of the AOpen Pandora mini PC with a better look at the back ports.

http://www.hardware.info/nieuws.php?id=4920
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 USB's, no Firewire. Otherwise, AOpen could have made Apple's next MacTel Mini... Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: